• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DS route

Reaction score
I remember reading a thread about a DS route from the dfw area to the Red River area. I no longer have my KTM and I got a new 1200GS and I want to try to break it in on some dirt/gravel/county roads. Trying to get used to riding that heavy bike in the dirt. I believe the thread had gps files. Any help appreciated.

That was me :-)

I checked my BaseCamp and can't seem to find that file. It's probably on my work iMac which I'll crack open again tomorrow.

Darn, sorry I had to leave for a business trip & it slipped my mind completely. Let me rake around and see where else I meant have sent or stored it.

Check with Yeeha! Stephen, he just picked up a Suzuki 650 DS and I believe he has the route you are looking for.

I've drawn a blank, it's on my other machine and is early enough in my GPS planning forays that I didn't automatically upload to Google Maps. I'm back at the weekend so will hunt then.

I remember reading a thread about a DS route from the dfw area to the Red River area. I no longer have my KTM and I got a new 1200GS and I want to try to break it in on some dirt/gravel/county roads. Trying to get used to riding that heavy bike in the dirt. I believe the thread had gps files. Any help appreciated.

Heres one I like. Mostly gravel, county and FM roads. Crossing the Red River 4 times. Beautiful scenery. I ride a DL1000 over this.
http://adventures.garmin.com/by/rkruz2/beautiful-north-texas/ you can download the adventure into Basecamp from the link at the bottom of the page attached and then upload the route to your GPS.

Last edited:
I've got tracks for a mostly dirt/gravel ride from Frisco to Hagerman Wildlife Refuge. It dead ends at a creek where there is a small amount of dirt you can ride. Not sure how to post it, but if you pm me your email, I can send it to you.

Thanks for sharing! Cool route and nice pics!

:thumb:

Yeah - what he said! Just downloaded the file to BaseCamp. :hail::hail:

I 'discovered' the bridge above Spanish Fort in '07 and love the run from Lake Nocona to Ringling, especially just before dark, on a hotrod bike. There are some dirt roads up in that area, around the Lake, but I've only ever run a couple of them and that was in the truck, before I was "corrupted" into the DS mode.

Attachments

• OK Sunset, Sept '07.jpg
    OK Sunset, Sept '07.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 286
This is Collins Rd. Don't go down it if its muddy. You'll spend all day trying to get out of it and have to ride home in the dark. If your on a big bike, be advised the road has a dip at one spot that is usually a little muddy and always rutted up.

DSC00784-M.jpg

Also, don't get your hopes up for the wildlife refuge. There ain't no giraffes or elephants. Seems to be mostly for birds. :yawn:

@OP: Y'know, you may be thinking of that Red-to-the-Rio SlowOldGuy was working on. Dunno where that wound up when Tom decided to take a break from the bikey stuff, a year or so ago, but someone probably knows where to find it, maybe TXjames, or ghostrider1964, or CleatusJ, or ???????

Thanks for sharing! Cool route and nice pics!

:thumb:

Im happy you like it:). I ride a lot from Krum North and have several routes centric of Dallas Preston Hollow area. If you or anyone would like to ride sometime PM me. Id like to try some of the rougher dirt roads but more willing with a partner. Later

@OP: Y'know, you may be thinking of that Red-to-the-Rio SlowOldGuy was working on. Dunno where that wound up when Tom decided to take a break from the bikey stuff, a year or so ago, but someone probably knows where to find it, maybe TXjames, or ghostrider1964, or CleatusJ, or ???????

I'd be interested in that.

Back