• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dual Sport for SHNF?

Reaction score
I am looking at some Dual Sport options and wonder what you guys think is the most suitable option for trails like the SHNF?

I am thinking of CRF300L, XR650L or DRZ400.

I just want to ride from the house to the trails and back, no adventures or day trips I also don’t want something that requires a trailer, high maintenance etc.

I've ridden a DR650 out there, but it's not ideal. I'd ask you're going to do is run from Conroe to the trails and back, I see no reason not to get a CRF450L or pick your poison street legal huskatoom. Personally, I really liked the Beta 390 I test rode.

If you're going to ride over and ride some scenic trails, all will do fine. If you're going to ride over with freeway traffic, XR650L or possibly DRZ with some reservations. If you're going to RIDE trails when you get there, CRF. The weight difference and the way you want to ride, both street and dirt should determine which is best for you. Weight wet 309#, 324# 346# all measured wet on the same scale. 15# probably doesn't seem like that much, but it will in a mud hole.

I've ridden a DR650 out there, but it's not ideal. I'd ask you're going to do is run from Conroe to the trails and back, I see no reason not to get a CRF450L or pick your poison street legal huskatoom. Personally, I really liked the Beta 390 I test rode.

Well, I lost too much money on Bike trade ins this year to get approval from the boss for another 10k+ so…

Keep in mind that any of the cheaper bikes are going to need suspension work to be fun/safe on the trails. That doesn't come free.

Keep in mind that any of the cheaper bikes are going to need suspension work to be fun/safe on the trails. That doesn't come free.
yes, I am aware of that. But I also read a lot that engine tune and decat is a must for the 450L so that doesn't come free either

I used to ride my 600 klr anyplace in the woods I would take my race bikes , I didn’t know it wasn’t a dirt bike and with knobbys it went through some nasty crap . And that was back when woods riding was challenging . It wouldnt Come close to taking me some of the places I’ve been with my 450 Beta .

Ok, I’ll check out Beta, do they have a dealership in the area that you guys can recommend?

The Dealer in Magnolia is great… agree the Beta Line is in A class of its own.

Those are three great options that you chose; very reliable and easy to work on too. My Dad always said "it's a poor workman that blames his tools". Depending on what kind of rider you are, you will be just fine on any of those bikes. I've ridden a XR650R and a XT250 on those trails, and had fun on both of them. Best of luck in your search!

Dang, from crf to beta! Great salesmanship in this thread. I agree with Rydah's dad- you can make any of those options and more work fine for your purpose. If budget isnt an issue that beta may me more suited, and definitely sexier. I am surprised the ktm/ husq crowd hasn't dropped in planting seeds.

I just want to ride from the house to the trails and back, no adventures or day trips
Depending on your distance you might want to consider purchasing a dirtbike with a wide ratio transmission, then plating it. I've come to the conclusion that +300lb bikes on single track is for the birds.

I am looking at some Dual Sport options and wonder what you guys think is the most suitable option for trails like the SHNF?

I am thinking of CRF300L, XR650L or DRZ400.

I just want to ride from the house to the trails and back, no adventures or day trips I also don’t want something that requires a trailer, high maintenance etc.
I have a WR250R that I ride out there and it works well.

I rode a CRF250L 1 1/2 hours to get there a few years ago, road there, and 1 1/2 hours back. It wasn't ideal on the road or on the trail but did both acceptably-ish. I would have to believe the newer CRF300L would be better on the road, but it is still heavy and has awful stock tires, and if you push it much on the trail, it will disappoint you. With a little work, it would probably do the job pretty well and it has long maintenance intervals.

My KTM 350 EXC was remarkable on the trails and would do some road work, but probably don't want to spend more than an hour on the road, and of course the tires and maintenance thing get cumbersome. But, talk about fun on the trails and light weight!

I don't ride like a batt out of **** anymore, so I keep leaning towards the ole XR650L, but I prefer Honda most times and the cost is reasonable. With a larger fuel tank, a good set of tires, maybe a wind screen, and some light luggage, it will do just about anything asked of it, even if it is a wee heavy.

No cost worries? My dream has been to own a KTM 690 Enduro R or a Huskey 701 Enduro.

I rode a CRF250L 1 1/2 hours to get there a few years ago, road there, and 1 1/2 hours back. It wasn't ideal on the road or on the trail but did both acceptably-ish. I would have to believe the newer CRF300L would be better on the road, but it is still heavy and has awful stock tires, and if you push it much on the trail, it will disappoint you. With a little work, it would probably do the job pretty well and it has long maintenance intervals.

My KTM 350 EXC was remarkable on the trails and would do some road work, but probably don't want to spend more than an hour on the road, and of course the tires and maintenance thing get cumbersome. But, talk about fun on the trails and light weight!

I don't ride like a batt out of **** anymore, so I keep leaning towards the ole XR650L, but I prefer Honda most times and the cost is reasonable. With a larger fuel tank, a good set of tires, maybe a wind screen, and some light luggage, it will do just about anything asked of it, even if it is a wee heavy.

No cost worries? My dream has been to own a KTM 690 Enduro R or a Huskey 701 Enduro.

Well, I only have like 20-40min to the trailheads so that wouldn't be an issue. The KTM / Husky / GasGas / Beta etc. are all nice and capable bikes, I am sure. But I just don't like the maintenance efforts plus the 10-12k initial costs.

The XR is tempting for me because it is a classic, timeless bike downside are maybe the weight and the carb.
The 300l needs quite some work, but the parts are available and not too expensive, but some say it is still way too heavy for the trails.

I also never owned a Honda, so that is also something I want to get off my list haha.

Well, I only have like 20-40min to the trailheads so that wouldn't be an issue. The KTM / Husky / GasGas / Beta etc. are all nice and capable bikes, I am sure. But I just don't like the maintenance efforts plus the 10-12k initial costs.

The XR is tempting for me because it is a classic, timeless bike downside are maybe the weight and the carb.
The 300l needs quite some work, but the parts are available and not too expensive, but some say it is still way too heavy for the trails.

I also never owned a Honda, so that is also something I want to get off my list haha.

I hear that. The KTM group does require much more maintenance but once you get the procedure down, it can be done in your garage in a hour, maybe 4 times a year (except for the valve adjustments as they are required, at least for me). Your statements are why I no longer have one.

The XR is heavy and the carb is annoying but dependable, simple, a lot of aftermarket support and gobs of power. If you want FI and weight savings, the CRF450L fits that bill, but again, costly up front.

The 300L isn't too heavy for the trails but only at putter speeds. My 250L was pretty nice at relaxed speeds after new tires, but again, push it and that changed quickly the wrong way. Two weeks ago, I was on that edge of buying a new CRF300L but the $7,200 OTD price was more than I was willing to pay. I probably would have bought it if the OTD price was more like $6k. I ended up with the little XR150L for less than $4k, added bar risers, wide pegs, and tires are on order. For the XR, it will run about 56mph stock, a quart of oil every 2,500 miles, change the plug and air filter every few years, and I'll ride it for a decade.

...have not seen you mention if height is in play or not....but there is now the CRF300LS available.

Hight is an issue for sure.
I am 6’7” most bikes are way too small for me.

When I was sitting on the 450RL or the 500EXC I felt like Donky Kong in Mario Kart.

IMG_1456.jpeg

Back