• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

East Texas 500 May 15-16

Two of us are planning on Rusk to Livingston Friday counterclockwise, then continue on the eastern side back to Rusk on Saturday. Maybe we will see you guys at Walmart Saturday morning.

Two of us are planning on Rusk to Livingston Friday counterclockwise, then continue on the eastern side back to Rusk on Saturday. Maybe we will see you guys at Walmart Saturday morning.
We will be running counterclockwise as well.

Seeing that we are gonna have a long day in the saddle on Saturday I'd like to have a Kickstands Up at 8am.
Weekend weather forecast for the Center area is: Saturday 80/63 partly cloudy and Sunday 81 with a 30% chance of rain....
Don't think we could hope for much better this time of year.

Anyone have a group with room for a dr650 out of Rusk on Friday? Would like to camp, don't care which direction we go.

Think I'd like to get it done in two days instead of the three that the facebook group is doing - if no luck I'll just join them.

I post this for information on the routes for this weekend. There may be flooding along the Angelina and Neches Rivers. So, if there are any low water crossing, we may be forced to take an alternate road. I don't think this should stop the ride, just something we need to monitor. These warnings are currently set to expire Sunday morning, so hopefully the high water will have significantly receded by this weekend.

-------------------------------

River Flood Warning until SUN 10:00 AM CDT​

2 of 2

Action Recommended​

Avoid the subject event as per the instructions

Issued By​

Shreveport - LA, US, National Weather Service

Affected Area​

Cherokee County

Description​

...The Flood Warning is now in effect until late Sunday morning... The Flood Warning continues for the Neches River Near Alto. Until Sunday morning. At 8:15 AM CDT Monday the stage was 17.7 feet. Flood stage is 16 feet. Minor flooding is occurring and minor flooding is forecast. Recent Activity...The maximum river stage in the 24 hours ending at 8:15 AM CDT Monday was 17.7 feet. Forecast...The Neches River near Alto is expected to rise to a crest of 17.9 feet this Monday afternoon. It will then fall below flood stage late Friday evening. Impact...At 18.0 feet, Expect flooding of the heavily wooded floodplain. Boat ramps and picnic areas will be completely inundated.

More Information​

...The Flood Warning is extended for the following river in Texas... Neches River Near Alto affecting Cherokee, Houston, Anderson and Trinity Counties. ...The Flood Warning continues for the following river in Texas... Neches River Near Diboll affecting Tyler, Houston, Angelina, Polk and Trinity Counties.

Reactions: my6
I will be leaving Katy around 5:30am to Livingston. Anybody who’s leaving from the same area let me know if you want to ride together.

I'm in. I have permission and everything. I need a good ride. It's been a minute.

Two day overnighting in Rusk? Clockwise or counter?

UPDATE: RIDE INFO HERE!!!!! FREQUENTLY EDITED!!!

I've spoken to my6 and I'm just going to post all the ride info and basics here.

It looks like we are going to have a good turnout! In fact, so good that we are going to need to break up into smaller groups if we want to finish in a reasonable time. We'll all determine together how that goes down Saturday morning, but groups of more than 6 can really drag average time down. Mixing up the groups after lunch or for the second day is highly encouraged!

IN:

My6
William Wolfen
RollingJ
Trailtime
DannyBoy
MuddMissle
PP186515
DLDR
Stingray
Dustycajunsr

The first group will be leaving the Livingston Walmart parking lot at 8am. A second group could leave at 8:15, a third at 8:30, so if you are straggling you might have your choice made for you. The later you start the later you end. Faster riders to the front, please!

We will be riding the track counterclockwise, with a late lunch will be in Center, Tx. Possibly Estrella's Mexican. I'm open to options.

The hope is that every rider has a well prepared bike, the skills, tools and spares to change a flat, and some form of navigation and communication equipment. Mileage between gas stops can be close to 100 miles. If any of the above are an issue, please be forth-coming and we can address them before we start the ride. We all will be willing to help if it comes down to it, but there is no sweep vehicle.

Please wait at each corner for ONLY the rider behind you to arrive IF THE RIDERS ARE STRUNG OUT. This keeps the groups moving. I like tight groups but it doesn't always work out that way, and no one should feel pressured to ride above their comfortable pace. If you find yourself alone at a corner for very long, turn around and figure out why. If anything comes up and you decide to peel off or go home, TELL SOMEBODY! We don't want to spend the day searching the ditches.

Don't get caught up in the fun and override your sightlines. These are all two-way, frequently traveled roads, with a few slick wooden bridges in the middle of corners, and I don't want anybody to take a swim or end up as a hood ornament. Blind corners and rises abound, so stay in the right track if you can't see what's coming!

I'm going to spend a little time tonight and pull up my old tracks. The gpx from Rydah is a route, and I like tracks. I'll post what I come up with tonight.

I'm leaving my house at 5 and should be there by 7:15.

I will be leaving Katy around 5:30am to Livingston. Anybody who’s leaving from the same area let me know if you want to ride together.
I'm trailering...

Anyone have a group with room for a dr650 out of Rusk on Friday? Would like to camp, don't care which direction we go.

Think I'd like to get it done in two days instead of the three that the facebook group is doing - if no luck I'll just join them.
Two of us are riding from Athens to Rusk and then counterclockwise to Livingston on Friday. It should be a short day so we will probably leave Rusk around one or so. We will be staying in a motel in Livingston.

I'm trailering...
I'm probably just going to ride. I'd take the truck to Livingston myself, but I don't want to come back to Walmart to find it without it's catalytic converters. Thefts have been up recently. 2 tundras were hit in my company's parking lot and another employee had hers hit while pushed at HEB. Thousands to repair, depending on what gets damaged.

Two of us are riding from Athens to Rusk and then counterclockwise to Livingston on Friday. It should be a short day so we will probably leave Rusk around one or so. We will be staying in a motel in Livingston.
Will you be joining us?

New tracks in Post #2. I need some help editing the route to match the track. Basecamp warriors, do your thing.

Reactions: jmn
Will you be joining us?
We’ll look for you at Walmart. We may have one or two more joining us on Saturday. I was planning on doing lunch at Holly Park Marina, but we might get there early. We’ll see what the groups look like Saturday morning.

Mind if I join you for that ride on Friday?

I'll meet up with the rest of y'all Saturday and see if there's room for me in a group if that's okay.

Mind if I join you for that ride on Friday?

I'll meet up with the rest of y'all Saturday and see if there's room for me in a group if that's okay.
Not at all. Send me a message with your phone number and we’ll work out the details.

Just saw this thread, I'm in for this ride. I'm at Cypress (NW Houston) I ride a 1250GS.
Is anyone riding from NW side or Katy to Livingston or are you guys trailering it to Livingston?
Is the loop going from Livingston clockwise or counterclockwise?
Where does the Day1 ride end?
Are we camping or booking a hotel? If a hotel, can I split with someone or everyone booking their own rooms?

Last edited:
I have been on a ride where there was an injury and we had a lot of difficulty reaching the rider’s emergency contact. We had to send someone to his house which took time. Also, if we lose a rider, this may help us to contact them without sending riders in all directions. So, if you would like me to consolidate this information, please private message or email me (pp186515@gmail.com) the following (don’t post it on this public site):
  • Your name (if folks are not on Two Wheeled Texan’s and are joining you, please send me their info as well).
  • What bike you ride, bike color and helmet color (help identify you)
  • Confidential Info: (I will make a limited number of copies if we split up into multiple groups with the understanding that this is confidential information. It will not be on the contact list mentioned below.)
    • Emergency contact name and phone number
    • Any medical information that would be relevant if you are injured
  • Optional Info: (for a possible contact list)
    • Do you want your info listed on a contact list? (I will only put you on the phone list if you consent to this)
    • Your mobile phone number
    • Your email address
    • Anything you want to share about yourself
If you want to participate in the contact list, please send this to me by Friday at 5 PM. I will be email the contact list out to folks Friday night (only if you consent and without the confidential information).

PS: I have my emergency information on a dog tag around my neck (highly encourage this for everyone if you don’t have one).

Last edited:
Just saw this thread, I'm in for this ride. I'm at Cypress (NW Houston) I ride a 1250GS.
Is anyone riding from NW side or Katy to Livingston or are you guys trailering it to Livingston?
Is the loop going from Livingston clockwise or counterclockwise?
Where does the Day1 ride end?
Are we camping or booking a hotel? If a hotel, can I split with someone or everyone booking their own rooms?
I'll be riding up from Cypress. We're going counterclockwise and overnighting in Rusk. Some are camping, some are staying in motels. I'm camping.

I sure like to have the phone numbers of those in my group! I have headset, but I don't listen to music. I want to know if there is a problem behind me!

Sunday might get a bit interesting on the last leg....
Rusk forecast for Sunday
77°
61% chance of rain in the morning
SSE 9 mph
Scattered thunderstorms in the morning, then mainly cloudy during the afternoon with thunderstorms likely. High 77F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Sunday might get a bit interesting on the last leg....
Rusk forecast for Sunday
77°
61% chance of rain in the morning
SSE 9 mph
Scattered thunderstorms in the morning, then mainly cloudy during the afternoon with thunderstorms likely. High 77F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60
Excellent, less dust on Sunday, but bring your rain gear and a change of cloths when we reach Livingston. :-)

For Rusk on Sunday, it is a 61% chance of .41 inches of rain.
For Livingston on Sunday, it is a 49% chance of .29 inches of rain.

So, those heading South from Rusk might at least be going into less heavy rain.

Last edited:
Couple of questions:

- Any camping recommendations for Friday night in Livingston? Just need a place for a tent.
- Ball park what kind of range between gas stops do I need for the ride Saturday? The stock tank on my DR gets me about 130 miles but I can carry another tank with me if I need.

This map shows some fuel stops, some more convenient than others. Don't want to slow my group down if I'll be the only one filling up.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203560287817723208455.0004e3291a6a445b4805d&msa=0

Yes indeed. I reserved a spot for SIX with electric and water. We can split the cost between us. Myself, Wolfen and Casper are confirmed. Anyone I've missed should chime in to confirm a spot.
Any room left at your campsite? If so I'd be happy to join and split cost.

Back