• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

East Tx 500 history?

Usually mid/late Oct, but before the time change. Often rainy and muddy :-P

But guess it's not happening any more?

But guess it's not happening any more?

Only takes a title change to this thread with a date. Maybe late Spring would be better temps and less likely to be a mudfest like the previous few years in a row? I think that is what has many soured on this ride, just wasn't fun when so muddy it stopped the ride.

_

Usually mid/late Oct, but before the time change. Often rainy and muddy :-P

That's right, we were trying to beat deer season.

Only takes a title change to this thread with a date. Maybe late Spring would be better temps and less likely to be a mudfest like the previous few years in a row? I think that is what has many soured on this ride, just wasn't fun when so muddy it stopped the ride.

_

Come on man! It wasn't that bad.
Okay it was pretty bad, but both of the really gumbo sections are easily avoided.

I find ETX is better riding than the Hill Country, imo.
It's bizzare there's no more ride in ETX.
But I guess there's not as much good food around here.

East Texas has a lot of sand and clay. When it is dry and the clay is not a problem, many people don't like the deep and loose sand. When it is wet and the sand is not a problem, many people don't like the slick as snot clay and potential mud bogs. Occasionally there are some Goldilock days though when it is just right ;-)

And there is good food if you know where to look :eat:

It was great that time we did the ET 750 in two days. Saturday and Sunday.
RollingJ organized that one but he has moved to Louisiana. I have bugged him to do it again but no luck.

It was great that time we did the ET 750 in two days. Saturday and Sunday.
RollingJ organized that one but he has moved to Louisiana. I have bugged him to do it again but no luck.

I did about 1/2 of the route a few months back. Lots of changes needed around Livingston and a few other places though.

These roads are in our backyard. No need for an organizer or to plan way in advance. I decided 6 am the same morning I rode while drinking coffee to go. Was in Coldsprings 2 hrs later and on the loop. Rode until dark and then 2 hrs on the highway home for dinner.

_

Attachments

• East Texas 750.gpx
    329.9 KB · Views: 264
David
Next time you run it please contact me I would love to go.
thanks

Not sure that RollingJ's current scoot is has the appropriate performance profile for the roads in question.

Well rumor was he's shopping soon for an AT. If that happens plan on a ET750 run the next weekend. Lol

I might be up to ride part of or all of this loop the weekend after next 19th & 20th. Would be on the big bike so like Rob said weather dependent. Current extended forecast looks good although a little chilly those two days with lows in the 30's.

_

Just a heads up on my part, already committed to a workday at Cycleland on 19th unless they cancel.

7 of us went out Oct. 5th and rode he back roads between Silsbee and Comesneil that were part of the ET500. Very dry and the sand was fairly deep in several sections. I provided the entertainment that day by going over the bars at the one mud hole we came across. It has rained a bit since then and the sand may be a little more packed.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1465744&postcount=9980

mud1_zps9vk6rdkc.jpg

In 2010 we ran the ETX 450 on the 1st or 2nd weekend in October. It was chilly riding to the Livingston meeting location, but warmed and made for a few days of beautiful riding.

I might be tempted to organize an event in the spring with a chase truck and trailer, but with us living in Longview we can be in proper Arkansas hills in only 3 hrs. Perhaps a supported AR event could be put together. I realize that's quite a hike for you Houston folks.

Come on guys, I will be back in Austin in less than 2 years and the wife and I are looking forward to riding the TX450 again!! We need to resurrect this, it was a great weekend.

Gary

Can someone share the most recent .gpx file?

I know the one I have includes a few busts.

Rick or Trailace use to put it on. But I think he stopped Cuz he sold the BMW and got a Wr250 and he knows he wont be able to hang with the old GS now.
Rydah you tell him hes scared.

Come on guys, I will be back in Austin in less than 2 years and the wife and I are looking forward to riding the TX450 again!! We need to resurrect this, it was a great weekend.

Gary this route is closer to you now than from Austin. See below, you have plans this weekend?

Rick or Trailace use to put it on.

Ride has changed many hands since then, last 4-5 yrs with different organizers. This is the first year nobody has taken the lead. I'm not an organizer but I say "let's ride!" see below Joe, I've yet to see you get your Bavarian princess dirty.

I might be up to ride part of or all of this loop the weekend after next 19th & 20th. Would be on the big bike so like Rob said weather dependent. Current extended forecast looks good although a little chilly those two days with lows in the 30's.

Again anybody up to ride this weekend? Forecast has changed some and looks great, could very well be Goldilock's weather. Saturday and/or Sunday?, ride 1/2 the route in one day (pick day), ride it all in 2 days or ride it all in one day (pick day), start from the south, from the north or somewhere in between? I'm flexible and will bend to another's preference.

_

Thanks SB, I still don't know where the route goes or if it is near to me, but I will be in Oregon this coming weekend (hopefully doing some paragliding) so can't ride!! Its a business trip but I have to stay in Oregon for the weekend for more meetings the following week, so hope to get some paragliding in whilst I am out there!!

Would love to ride with you guys anytime, it's been far too long since we last rode together.

Gary

Thanks SB, I still don't know where the route goes or if it is near to me, but I will be in Oregon this coming weekend (hopefully doing some paragliding) so can't ride!! Its a business trip but I have to stay in Oregon for the weekend for more meetings the following week, so hope to get some paragliding in whilst I am out there!!

Would love to ride with you guys anytime, it's been far too long since we last rode together.

Gary

This gives you an idea. Screenshot is for the ET750, just ignore the tracks west of Livingston.

b6294830229191ac3474fa61fae32959.png

_

Back