• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

EasTex 450: 2 Months of no rain = lots of sand

Thanks again to the fine gentlemen who stopped to help me out of a sticky situation. It was a fun ride and learning experiance. Hoping for more rides like this one.

We got a little confused as well. We didn't really care. Got to hit some really cool roads twice!! Some in the group had their gps set for the ride, I had mine set to the final destination. Between the two, we figured it out.

Couple of us got separated from the group Sunday morning and stopped just north of the Crockett NF to figure it out. My partner had a map and picked some absolutely awesome trails trough the forest toward Moscow. As it goes - we had gas and a map so we weren't really lost at all and had a blast getting found. Hey, I'd do it all the same way over again!

Sounds like ya'll had a blast. And even though I didn't attend, I'm sure that the info will filter through the riding community and become a regular event. And for that, I'd like to thank all that put their time and money into developing the routes. I've been living here most of my life and could never really "link" in all together. Nice.:clap:

Actually it was the WildernessRider (not Woodsguy) that had his family there with three TWs, and he did the luggage schlepping too. We, the "TW Cartel" had a ton-o-fun riding our little TWs with all those "grown up bikes". Thanks for all you other riders' patience with us newbies.

Your son rode the wheels off that TW200 I knew right away he was a Racer. I will try and bring my son on the next one and let those two Motocrossers have fun.

Your son rode the wheels off that TW200 I knew right away he was a Racer. I will try and bring my son on the next one and let those two Motocrossers have fun.
That would be great if your son rode too. Wes wasn't sure at all this ride was gonna be his cup of tea before we went. He still today professes that it was the most fun he has had in who knows when. Pror to this I had tried to suggest he look into riding in an enduro race and he would have nothing to do with the suggestion. He liked the thrill of motocross and couldn't envision any other type of riding being very fun. Now he is in complete agreement that an eight hour enduro scramble might be even more fun than a twenty minute long MX race. And we all can't wait until the next adventure ride comes up. Thanks to you and every one else who catered to and endured his youthful exhuberances. Wish I was still young enough to ride that hard too.

I rode Enduros and Hare Scrambles for years and got my son into motocross at Fourteen when he was Sixteen I talked him into doing the Sidewinder Enduro with me he rode the Sixteen big wheel class on a KX100 he smoked them by nine minutes so he likes riding them now.

I rode Enduros and Hare Scrambles for years and got my son into motocross at Fourteen when he was Sixteen I talked him into doing the Sidewinder Enduro with me he rode the Sixteen big wheel class on a KX100 he smoked them by nine minutes so he likes riding them now.
Very Cool! Congrats are do to you both. I know he and Wes would have a ball ripping it up together. I have always wanted to get in on an enduro but was never "in the loop" enough to have all the lowdown in time to act. Besides most of the time I was in some other state or country, bored out of my tree sitting in a hotel room dreaming of the next time i would get to the Ozarks and ride log trails in the forest. Maybe one of these days Wes and I can run in one with you all. (Do they even have any that are short enough for us old guys to do?)

Yeah the over Fifty class is around Fifty Miles thats the class my buddy Endoman here on the site rides he's older than dirt and needs that short little Race.

Hey all... I want to thank Richard and his family, the MotoAdv folks, and everyone else that made this ride happen. Also want to tell everybody that I really enjoyed this, and had a great time meeting and riding with you all.

I'm Warren riding the 1200GS with my buddies Phil, Ken, and Craig on CamoKLR, and two XR600s. I gotta say that the sand was a thrill, and I'm super glad I listened to the voices in my head saying "TKC80s", instead of my typical Trailwings.

Anybody wishing to feel more confident in the sand would do well to read Tourmeister's advice earlier in the thread about shifting weight back and letting the front end float. I also find it better to stand up or squat on the pegs, and lock your knees on the seat. Sand is a tough balancing act; fast enough to "plane" and maintain control, but slow enough to be able to haul it down when everything turns to S**T! LOL. It was a good learning experience for me.

I used a Garmin 276C and found the tracklogs supplied by DSE to work just fine. A couple of the proposed tracks had been either closed or never really went through, but like everyone else said, no worries, just pick another route and link back up later.

I loved the mix of roads, from dirt to highway to barely paved, and back again. It was never boring or overwhelming, and we all had a nice relaxed time. Maybe too relaxed, we spent a lot of time stopping to snap pics, have a taste of "barley malt steering fluid", and generally goof off. The post ride hanging out was a great day ender too.

Well, that's all folks, thanks again for the grins and giggles. Check out some pics here...
http://wegger.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/East-Texas-450-Dualsport-Ride/14158675_HSMbG

Day 1...
1055019953_Ycg8D-M.jpg

Big GS...
1055021745_ghtTJ-M.jpg

The beginning of 9 mile road to Bean's...
1055024527_nW4WP-M.jpg

Day 2 - Breakfast of champeens in LA...
1055026191_DiH7w-M.jpg

1055026510_23cmn-M.jpg

Self portraid in dust...
1055031336_57B3Y-M.jpg

One time, at band camp...
1055032334_tqUcu-M.jpg

Day 3 - I love this s**t!!!
1055032645_DsP99-M.jpg

Lunch at Taters N' More in Apple Springs TX. Lotta lazy goin on here...
1055033227_mKUdy-M.jpg

Now that's a tasty burger!...
1055033527_DVyYr-M.jpg

Ken in the mirror on the last bit of highway back to Moscow. See ya next ride!!!
1055033805_q6MaJ-M.jpg

Great pics Warren, seems like a distant memory too soon. At least Hamilton is coming up. By the way-your crazy! ha!

Was this the first East Texas 450 ride? Anyone have a GPX of the route? Just curious. I am seeing "East Texas 450" pop up quite a bit on both Facebook and YouTube recently. Seems like it is becoming a "thing", kind of like the Cheeseburger Loop" route from many years ago.

Was this the first East Texas 450 ride? Anyone have a GPX of the route? Just curious. I am seeing "East Texas 450" pop up quite a bit on both Facebook and YouTube recently. Seems like it is becoming a "thing", kind of like the Cheeseburger Loop" route from many years ago.
I think I may have found the route here, @Tourmeister

Or maybe here:

A gentlemen with a screenname that included "Duke" was instrumental in setting up the route, but this was the first running of the EasTex 450. We had ~51 riders and a chase truck for the 3 day event back in the fall of 2010. The route has changed over the years with the closing of 9-mile road over near Toledo bend, a few bridges being out, and some paving. You'll have to look around the twt site for .gpx files. The last time I ran the route was in 2017 and we skipped much of the Toledo Bend area and turned it into a 2-day ride.

I remember that "ride" too well. Sand like I'd not seen before. Bunch of big bikes that rightly wanted no part of it after the first dose. I stayed behind a pair of tw200's with rear tires the size of a garden tractor's. It was one long doggone struggle on a klr for yours truly and that was a night of snoring like freighter's mules in all directions. Nine mile road headed into Bean's was the highlight of day one. Couple of riders tried going through the middle of a hog wallow and did the super man thing straight in. They called first dibs on the shower. Day one put more motorcycles on the ground than I have seen since. But I don't recall anyone getting hurt. Mostly we couldn't go fast enough to be dangerous and landing in that sand was like diving into talcum powder...don't ask how I know.

Back