• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Electric Okay or Die Hard ICE?

Will you keep your ICE bike once electric takes over?

• Yes

Votes: 81 91.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 9.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
BMW had a recent statement saying that they are planning to go all electric for their vehicles (cars and motorcycles). Kawasaki also announced they will eventually drop all ICE production (by 2035?) and Honda is planning to go all electric by 2040 as well. I haven't ridden an electric motorcycle (yet) but I had the chance to drive an electric car. It was a lot of fun! Would I mind owning an electric car or motorcycle? Not at all. I would find it hard to leave behind my gas motorcycle (and car) though. May be it's because I grew up with it or may be I've just come to love that thumping sound. How do you guys feel about it? As years pass and electric takes over, will you try and hold on to your ICE motorcycle/ car?

I've owned it for almost 50 years and don't plan to lose it until they pry the steering wheel from my cold, dead hands.

Ray delivery 4.jpg

As to other modes of transportation... My other place is 250 miles away and 4,000' higher in elevation so climbing the mountain takes a toll on a charge, and then I only have 50 amp service at my place in the mountains which means I'd have to recharge at a commercial facility.

As for a motorcycle, my primarily riding interest is Long Distance and Rallies (scavenger hunts), neither of which would do well in a recharging situation.

So overall, for now, YES, I'm sticking to ICE. But I have nothing against the electric future and if I just wanted something to run around town with, I think it would be fine. After all, I do have an electric golf cart for those quick little drives to the community center.

Last edited:
Based on my current knowledge and needs as well as current tech, I had to vote yes, but in 20 years when the tech and charging has hopefully been much improved, who knows.
Right now, an Iron Butt 1000 would be impossible, much less any of the longer rides (but I guess they could make a new class for electric).

Problem that will arise eventually is the ICE will become too expensive or to difficult to use (lack of fuel or crazy prices for it) and will be forced out.

Until electric can have the range and chargability (both time and cost), an electric motorcycle is just not an option for me.
Maybe a 2nd local bike would be fine (cost is the only reason I have never even looked at an electric motorcycle right now, my 3 mile ride to work would be perfect for electric bike so long as it could do highway speeds).
This is the same issue for me with any electric vehicle, it would have to be a 2nd vehicle, still need an ICE for travel (plus cost (both purchase and long term)).
I buy used, and a 10 year old electric vehicle will be needing a new battery, and it makes no sense to pay almost what you buy the vehicle for to replace the battery as well.

Last edited:
With the current technology, there's no way an EV either motorcycle, scooter, or car, could meet my needs for transportation to replace my ICE vehicles.

It's hard to project what our needs for vehicles will be in 13-18 years. I'm sure I'll still be riding a motorcycle then and still need what I need from my Jeep. As long as gasoline and parts are still available, there's no reason I'd have to replace my Triumph by then. I *might* have to replace my Jeep.

The thing is, for the purpose of transportation, eventually I am sure they will overcome the current technical limitations and build vehicles that will meet my transportation needs. I doubt they will make vehicles, EVs or not, which will satisfy my peculiar tastes. But they don't make many brand new vehicles today that will satisfy those tastes. I wouldn't trade my Jeep JKU straight up for a brand new JLU. And I wouldn't trade my Bonneville straight up for a brand new T120.

Yeah - the answer depends on the time horizon. ICE will still be dominant on bikes for many more years. When batt capacity is about 2x from today's level - then I'll be seriously interested (bikes and cars).

Reactions: JOD
So far, the electric bikes I've seen are small and limited on range. If they come out with something equivalent to my R1150RT that can haul a passenger comfortably and loaded luggage 180 miles on one charge, I'll think about it. Oh, and battery replacement needs to be affordable. I've heard that you might as well scrap a Tesla that's got some years on it and needs new batteries.

Most of you septuagenarians shouldn't care by then. But modern medicine keeps moving forward so who knows!

The advances to battery capacity seems to have slowed. Likely the limit of the technology/chemistry has been reached and only incremental improvements are being attained.
At some point there will be a new tech/chemistry that easily surpasses what we see today and there will be a leap forward in range and speed of charging of e-vehicles. I'll withhold my decision until that time.

The auto industry have proven they can respond to regulation changes a lot faster than the power industry can update its infrastructure. Until the infrastructure can catch up to the EVs already on the road (it's already behind IMO), I'll keep on driving ICE. EV would meet my daily needs as my long trips are few and far between, but it just doesn't tickle me in the pants like ICE.

I could not be any less interested in an electric vehicle. Devoid of heart and soul to me.
Driving old vehicles that require lots of tinkering as they age is where it's at.
Pulling the old BMW out of the garage with engine humming is a victory each and every time.
The older Ranger is the entire time capsule of my rebirth in Texas.
YMMV, or should that be YBCMV. (Your Battery Charge May Vary)

I love the performance of EV but they lack soul. As much as I would like to have a hyper performance EV it just wouldn't be the same as a rowdy well tuned V8 with a nice exhaust system.

As one who cares about the environment, I can't embrace electric vehicles. Seriously, coal powered is what they will be for the most part. Electric generation in Texas is predominantly coal.

It really only makes sense if the total long-term cost of the electric vehicle is less, especially if you live in a small city where vehicle emissions aren't an issue.

I am not opposed to owning an EV in the future but the current power grid, charging station numbers and locations, and range simply isn't there for myself to buy into the lifestyle anytime soon. I am not sure that I'll ever care for an electric motorcycle as they will lack any soul or identity, but the idea of instant torque is appealing. I don't see myself owning an EV anytime this decade.

I drove a couple high end/top of the line Tesla model S cars. Very nice, but not something I could ever afford. Don't want any of the ones I could afford. Totally disinterested in the motorcycles. It's the obvious problem, of course: range. Electric drive would be fine, but it's gonna need an ICE to run a generator or maybe a hydrogen fuel cell and a capacitor. Battery only strikes me as a pipe dream for anyone who doesn't live in the city.

A friend of mine near Dover UK just bought this bike and is raving about it.
I would consider something like this as I'd like to ride the trails around me, yet ensure my flabby old butt could still get back home.

bike.jpg

the idea of a closed course e bike mx, trials, etc might be a decent experience

I'd be willing to bet of that "24% wind" that less than half of it is regularly reliable.

Ride highway 35 from Houston to Corpus Christi. It's like Don Quixote's wet dream... I forgot where I saw the estimate, but they wiped out over 100 million native birds since all that was put in over the last 5 years. Riding 150 miles along the coastal forest and not seeing a single bird is one of the creepiest, eerie things I have experienced.

Last edited:
Back