• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fall Rally 2017-Plenty of sweat. No blood or tears.

All BS aside , I really enjoy looking at yalls pics :clap:. My wife has only two stipulations on letting me run off riding. 1 take lots of pics ,2 buy her a souvenir . I failed on both this time. I remembered the souvenir when I was in Rusk on the way home :doh: I showed her these pics in this thread and told her " this is what it looks like up there " maybe I can talk her into going with me sometime :rider:

Lunch break with Devientartist and Texxter at Queen Wilhelmina Lodge. Nice blue sky dat
01d4d44e211cf37b75eccc2a397aed6e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Fall Rally 2017: Plenty of Sweat. No Blood or Tears"

I like the title. But i did shed a tear when I realized I was too full of pork tenderloin to have any apple streusel last night.

(GPS says we'll be home by 10p...)

The 'fast' group getting ready to head out Saturday morning.
32fd3d822a093742ed4d766d140c775c.jpg

The 'slow' group heading out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops... some of us slow ones anyway
76438faa9feea3164f88b0b886df8bb6.jpg

"Golden Gate Bridge" of Arkansas

e7b4bf410480111529be31ca870a0a5f.jpg

Sometimes the camaraderie is as good as the riding

0ed43c8048d2f52ae7547625cdbfc8e9.jpg

Land shark!

00065c8e1482b5540a43c6a988966c31.jpg

Solving the world's problems

6ed2a9be3ca0be3c9d503ff249977aed.jpg

Creating the world's problems

446301052472558c8dce6d61dcf8def4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many thanks to Pacman and Ms. Pacman for organizing the ride and providing transportation around Eureka Springs in their SUV.

Thanks also to Macdaddy and Mr2Mch for excellent route planning and leading my rides and for helping me pick up my bike *twice* [emoji12]

My 435 miles today with Texxter and Devientartist were a pleasure in the fresh air after the cold front.

I'm thankful for 1,570 safe miles on the trip with my little bike drops just cheap reminders of risks on the road.

Y'all ride safe.

El_Chamiso / Bob
b424a65ae503769be23b56ed694fce4c.jpg

We got back into Tyler safe and sound a bit after 5 this afternoon.

It's always great to get up to northern AR for the great roads and scenery. What made this trip especially enjoyable was the exceptional bunch of folks that I had the pleasure to get to meet and get to know. I hope that we all get the opportunity to get back together next year along with those who wanted to make it but couldn't. It would be terrific for this to again become a regular spring/fall TWT annual event. (hint, hint - maybe 3rd week of April 2018)

Special thanks to Pacman for putting this all together and for laying out those very enjoyable routes. Also to Mrs. Pacman for being so nice. :clap:

What a fantastic trip! Big Thank You to Pacman (Wayne) for putting this together! It was great to meet and spend time with you all. I really hope we can get this going at least annually. I'm already missing the mountains!

37691227992_b240b7657a_b.jpg
TWT_Fall_Rally_RAW_2017_38 by Nathan Pina, on Flickr

37691229322_2f205b1611_b.jpg
TWT_Fall_Rally_RAW_2017_35 by Nathan Pina, on Flickr

37691230042_3f8834c636_b.jpg
TWT_Fall_Rally_RAW_2017_34 by Nathan Pina, on Flickr

23870198398_f27ed13349_b.jpg
TWT_Fall_Rally_RAW_2017_33 by Nathan Pina, on Flickr

37013667544_88b3163268_b.jpg
TWT_Fall_Rally_RAW_2017_29 by Nathan Pina, on Flickr

37013670354_731c00af77_b.jpg
TWT_Fall_Rally_RAW_2017_24 by Nathan Pina, on Flickr

37013671824_41a101a281_b.jpg
TWT_Fall_Rally_RAW_2017_23 by Nathan Pina, on Flickr

37675007916_97f5fd0ff6_b.jpg
TWT_Fall_Rally_RAW_2017_22 by Nathan Pina, on Flickr

37013657174_c17b47eebd_b.jpg
TWT_Fall_Rally_RAW_2017_21 by Nathan Pina, on Flickr

37675008436_d589336f5a_b.jpg
TWT_Fall_Rally_RAW_2017_20 by Nathan Pina, on Flickr

37675008836_d19aab2a26_b.jpg
TWT_Fall_Rally_RAW_2017_18 by Nathan Pina, on Flickr

37013675004_9242e9d3e6_b.jpg
TWT_Fall_Rally_RAW_2017_17 by Nathan Pina, on Flickr

37013680054_52a09ef238_b.jpg
TWT_Fall_Rally_RAW_2017_11 by Nathan Pina, on Flickr

37675012926_62f5de718b_b.jpg
TWT_Fall_Rally_RAW_2017_9 by Nathan Pina, on Flickr

37013682324_e98be015df_b.jpg
TWT_Fall_Rally_RAW_2017_6 by Nathan Pina, on Flickr

23870193508_6deabbe561_b.jpg
TWT_Fall_Rally_RAW_2017_3 by Nathan Pina, on Flickr

Mmmm the strudel. Colonel Landa would have been impressed.
729e1e57bfcf2a7655d2bc4a842a52be.gif

4c11dfcc9b770e4006abffcb45085b4c.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those excellent photos Nate. I hope that we get to ride that area together again someday. Hopefully we'll get to do Hwy 74 from Ponca to Jasper without the big utility truck leading the pack!

Just to repeat what everyone has said - it was a great gathering of fantastic people, good camaraderie, excellent riding, beautiful scenery and weather... Many thanks to everyone, especially Wayne (pacman) and his wife Christie for doing lots of work to make this ride possible. And keep the fotos coming! Looking forward to the next gathering!

Looking forward to the next gathering!

All it takes is for one or two people to step up and organize it. To quote a famous movie, "Build it and they will come..." ;-)

I didn’t take a ton of pics, but hopefully I got a a couple of good ones to share.

Our (my wife Kristy and I) day started off at about 8am on Thursday, with the bike loaded on the trailer. The more I thought about the rush hour slog across the Metromess, the less I wanted to ride, so onto the trailer goes the bike. We were towing the trailer anyway, to have it available at the hotel for recovery purposes, so what the heck, may as well use it.
zLCcJQp.jpg

I had tentative plans to meet Texxter and El_Chamiso at Queen Wilhelmina around lunchtime, but DFW traffic was so horrific (even worse than I predicted) that we ended running more than an hour later then I had planned, so the odds of catching up to them were slim.

After getting through the traffic and hoofing it up into eastern OK we start looking for a decent place to unload the bike. It was time to ride. We found an abandoned gas station in Yanush, OK, just north of Sardis Lake, with plenty of unloading space. Within a few minutes I have the bike off the trailer and I’m geared up and riding towards Talihina.

A few minutes later I’m on the Talimena Skyway looking at the most beautiful scenery in Oklahoma. The views from the scenic overlooks are just stunning. Kristy caught up to me at one of the overlooks so we snapped a quick selfie and then headed on to the Lodge.
T6WS65o.jpg

Ah, the Queen Wilhelmina Restaurant. So much potential. So much fail.
UQqcKSJ.jpg

We didn’t actually eat at the lodge, because after we were seated and our drink orders taken, we never saw another waitperson for about 20 minutes. That’s about 15 minutes longer than I prefer to wait, but I was feeling generous. We finally just got up and left. I will give the glass of water I had a solid 4 stars. It was cool and refreshing. I’ll give the view out the window a full 5 stars. With views like this you can get away with pretty bad service, but you do actually have to GIVE service.
zON2M2D.jpg

On the way out the door I met this friendly guy named Nathaniel (Devientartist), who thankfully had hung around long enough to run into my late self, and we quickly decided to ride together to Eureka Springs.

We spent a few minutes getting our intercoms synched up (a new experience for me, and it was great being able to talk to someone during the ride!) and the headed west and north towards Hwy 23. Which totally sucked at first. From the southern terminus of 23 to I40 we were stuck behind horribly slow traffic. That 1 hour section seemed to take days, but in reality it was about an hour and a half. Fortunately after I40 the traffic cleared out and we had smooth sailing on the Pig Trail for the last 75 miles to ES.

Speaking of the Pig Trail, most of it is in pretty good shape, but there are some sections that need some work. All of the mountain passes are getting a little rough, and at one point about 5 miles north of Turner Bend there’s a whole section of the southbound lane that has collapsed and a detour has been built while repairs are made. Makes for a fairly tricky yield situation. There is also some bridge construction going on further north. ARDOT is replacing 4 bridges and have built temporary bypasses during the construction. The bypasses are well built with good pavement and full size lanes. Arkansas temporary pavement is better than any permanent pavement I've ridden in Texas. :shrug:

We finally rolled into Swiss Village in at about 5:30. It took a bit to get the bikes and gear unloaded, but we finally had a minute to sit down and visit with all the other TWTers who had already arrived. Most of the group had plans to eat at the Grub and Pub Club a couple of doors down from the hotel, but Kristy and I plans to eat dinner at The Grotto in the old downtown area. Our dinner lived up to the great online reviews. The dining room is built into the side of a rocky cliff, giving it a cave-like appearance. Would definitely recommend for a romantic dinner.
Kristy with the cave wall in the background.
GXs54Z9.jpg

And of course you have to bathe after dinner, right?
pEvCpTD.jpg

After that we headed back to the hotel, and I was hoping to enjoy so tasty beverages with the guys, but everyone had already crashed for the night. Understandable since most had a very long, very warm ride that day. So off to bed, for tomorrow we ride!

That wraps up day 1. I’ll try to get day 2 written up and posted this evening, if I can keep my eyes open.

Nice report Pacman, and I was quite surprised to see you and Ms. Pacman at the Texas State Fair today; I hope y'all enjoyed the fair.

Regarding the Queen Wilhelmina Lodge, I had good lunches there coming and going, so maybe it's worth another shot. My service wasn't stellar on either visit, but it wasn't too bad on Thursday, and it was better yesterday. And the food was good both times (burger on Thursday and reuben yesterday). I would definitely go back.

By the way, some TWTers know that one of my bike drops on Saturday left my starboard side pannier cattywampus, but it turned out to be a matter of simply removing the pannier and repositioning the rubber bumper. I had to remove a bolt and loosen another to remove the bag, but that turned out to be easier than I expected. I have a bit more respect for the Yamaha panniers after dropping my bike on both the port and starboard sides on Saturday.

El_Chamiso / Bob

Just bac home bout an hr ago......2025 on the ticker over 5.5 days.... F U N ...F U N ..F U N

Oh...& the cabin we had last nite at Big Cedar was great
Thanx to Mac....

Sent from my A450TL using Tapatalk

Nice report Pacman, and I was quite surprised to see you and Ms. Pacman at the Texas State Fair today; I hope y'all enjoyed the fair.

Regarding the Queen Wilhelmina Lodge, I had good lunches there coming and going, so maybe it's worth another shot. My service wasn't stellar on either visit, but it wasn't too bad on Thursday, and it was better yesterday. And the food was good both times (burger on Thursday and reuben yesterday). I would definitely go back.

By the way, some TWTers know that one of my bike drops on Saturday left my starboard side pannier cattywampus, but it turned out to be a matter of simply removing the pannier and repositioning the rubber bumper. I had to remove a bolt and loosen another to remove the bag, but that turned out to be easier than I expected. I have a bit more respect for the Yamaha panniers after dropping my bike on both the port and starboard sides on Saturday.

El_Chamiso / Bob

It was so cool to run into you and your mom. It's a crazy world sometimes.

Glad to hear about the pannier. Could of been a pricey repair. I ended up with a flat tire the morning we left. I haven't looked too closely at it, but a quick glance didn't show any nails or punctures. Hopefully it's just a leaky stem or something.

Thank you all for the very kind words, and Kristy sends her thanks as well. You are all too kind. We had a wonderful time and I actually don't mind at all doing the planning. I get a little bummed when things don't work well, like some of the GPS glitches, or accidentally routing us down 20 miles of Hwy 62 construction. But it's all part of the adventure, and in the end everyone came home safe, which means it was a successful trip.

I'm totally up for planning another trip in the spring, but it's going to be tricky finding dates when I can go. Spring is getting very busy for the pacman family.

Last edited:
Re: TWT Fall Arkansas/Missouri Rally

?? But most of the pics & ride info are on this thread.....

Moderator assistance to move postings with pics from this thread to the right thread?

Macdaddy's magic paved goatpaths....around Eureka Spgs
CR207 Onyx Cave to either CR225/266 to SR23 or CR211 to US62
Niiice
Steve had even more CRs....with gravel added!! HOOTY!

Ive been on CR305 Rockhouse Rd south from 62 to SR221 across the Kings River & bac over to Berryville several times & this time opposite direction was just as fun

Some of the hills n flips n dips on these CRs would pass for a roller coaster easy.... Huh

Last edited:
Back