• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Family Cemetery Visit

Reaction score
I visited my dads side of the family, in West. St Mary's Cemetery to find my great grandparents and some of my grandfathers siblings. I alway thought his name was Otec and thought it was odd and was surprised to see lots of Otec's in his area. Duh, translation app..it's dad in Czech. I learned last week that they migrated into the US through Galveston and found the records of it. They were on the SS Hanover and arrived in Galveston on April 23, 1880. They brought one daughter with them, Anna, and made thier way to Abbott to an existing or to establish a family farm, where more children were born as well and my dad and his siblings. All in the same house. There's tons more history that I've learned this week and tons more to learn. Like, my granparents had paid a 5 dollar water deposit but didn't get plumbing installed in the home for several more years. I found the papers from that yesterday, and tons more cool stuff. Learnign these little hings is so cool.

Attachments

• Josef and Marianna.jpeg
    Josef and Marianna.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Water Deposit.jpeg
    Water Deposit.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Plumbing Install.jpeg
    Plumbing Install.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 114
I visited my dads side of the family, in West. St Mary's Cemetery to find my great grandparents and some of my grandfathers siblings. I alway thought his name was Otec and thought it was odd and was surprised to see lots of Otec's in his area. Duh, translation app..it's dad in Czech. I learned last week that they migrated into the US through Galveston and found the records of it. They were on the SS Hanover and arrived in Galveston on April 23, 1880. They brought one daughter with them, Anna, and made thier way to Abbott to an existing or to establish a family farm, where more children were born as well and my dad and his siblings. All in the same house. There's tons more history that I've learned this week and tons more to learn. Like, my granparents had paid a 5 dollar water deposit but didn't get plumbing installed in the home for several more years. I found the papers from that yesterday, and tons more cool stuff. Learnign these little hings is so cool.
36 hours of labor for only $35!! How times have changed!

and a ditch digger for just 28 dollars. I know this property from helping till the garden every year as a kid, and it's all the black gumbo clay stuff that a tiller struggled with. I can't imagine using a shovel on this lot

and a ditch digger for just 28 dollars. I know this property from helping till the garden every year as a kid, and it's all the black gumbo clay stuff that a tiller struggled with. I can't imagine using a shovel on this lot
Yeah, I can. As a kid my brother and I had to dig a 4 foot deep 2 foot wide septic field trench through that stuff until my Dad finally realized it might take us a few months and opted to rent a backhoe so it could be done in a day! :lol2: We got about six feet before that though and it took the better part of the day.

ooouch . Makes me hurt just thinking about it. Both sides of my family came into NY then somehow spent time failing in SD then TX before moving on to the west coast. What the heck am I trying to grow anything in TX for, it's futile. Just when its finally continuing halfway well, with whatever was tough enough to survive late freezes that killed most everything, here comes late spring /summer heat, then armyworms in the fall to finish off a second attempt. How did I offend the Lord and end up here as an agronomy minded guy who grew up loving the fertility of CA's San Joaquin valley? Maybe he said, "Ed I see you still gonna ride motorcycles, but you ain't that good on the twisties anymore, I'm moving you to Texas before you hurt yourself". Or perhaps it was simply Acts 1:8 in affect.

Duh, translation app..it's dad in Czech. I learned last week that they migrated into the US through Galveston and found the records of it.
My wife's great-grandparents came from Czechoslovakia or Yugoslavia in the late 1800s but I misplaced the census records and can't remember for sure. They wound up in Throop PA and he worked in the coal mines there. I would imagine that was incredibly difficult as well.

If they came into Galveston, which most front hat area did, you might can find their listing here.

If they came into New York, online there is less details in those records. My mothers family came in that way. For them it was just a penciled in name written down of the father and nobody else.

Just with my thing to lookup famly, I hd a friend in grade school that I used to go to his family land and have a blast all weekend, out in the woods. His family has a cemetery on the land where the original family that migrated here was placed. The land got sold, and to do that, the burial area had to be fenced and designated as a cemetery. In find a grave, there's nothing listed other than the location, so I've been researching that family and I'll be adding information soon about them.

Me beloved and dear departed mum made some 'grave rubbings' with paper and charcoal pencil on each headstone of my ancestors... the rubbings came out well, I'm actually gonna put 'em up on a wall in my home so visitors can check 'em out, lol. I'll hafta post a couple of pics tomorrow, when there's more light. One ancestor was born in 1801 and died in 1870, while another was born right after the Alamo in 1836 and lived till 1899. They're cool posters, those rubbings, I'm gonna put 'em up as soon as I figure out where I want 'em, lol. 🤔

The history of immigrants in the 1800s is interesting and admirable; they were for the most part welcomed.
So different these days for those wanting to legally migrate.

It is a very interesting thing to read about. In my reading about Sam Houston and family, technically, Sam renounced his United Stated citizenship when he made his transition to Texas which made him an illegal immigrant to the US for a time.

That's one thing I like and respect about the Lone Star State: they declared themselves an independent republic, like saying, "**** ALL Y'ALL!!!" 🤣

Back in a moment to post pics of two grave rubbings, the light isn't so good because it's a rainy day here, but it probably won't make much difference... 😒

Okay, here we go, these are some of my ancestors... note that Hugh was born in Kentucky back in 1801, only 20 years after the end of the Revolutionary War, when Thomas Jefferson started his first term in office, lol. Makes sense, since my family is related by marriage and blood to the Boone Family... one of my ancestors married a sister of Daniel Boone, who came from a pretty large family himself. This is not some Internet jive, me beloved and dear departed mum used to be Registrar for our local chapter of the D.A.R. in Coronado, and she used all the resources of that organization to trace our family tree clear back to England, lol. 😎

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2481.JPG

IMG_2482.JPG

IMG_2477.JPG

IMG_2479.JPG

IMG_2478.JPG

Er, don't mind the paint stirring sticks, they were the first thing I found to hold down the posters, lol. Sarah Jane was the ancestor born right after the siege of the Alamo in 1836, and she lived until 1899... boy, she must have seen some things in her lifetime, and not just the Civil War either. Alright, those are some of my ancestors, I know the pics aren't very clear, as it's a dreary day here and the natural light isn't very good, plus the nature of such rubbings makes 'em difficult to read anyway, lol, but I really like the posters my ma made, I'm gonna put 'em up somewhere in my home so folks can see 'em. I'm not ashamed of my ancestors, lol... 😉

Last edited by a moderator:
I did some rubbings at one visit it did. This is from the cemetery I talked about above. BTW, if you have some especially on a hard to read marker, you can create a free account at find a grave and upload them. It might help others to get information on family research. When I was working on arranging access to this cemetery, I learned that there were no pics except for one old copy of a photo uploaded. I added the rest of the pictures.

One thing I wish now, and can't do anything about, is, I wish i would have been more into in this stuff when I was younger. The people who know are all gone now. I don't know what my moms past is, but apparently it's not good. She won't talk about it and she won't share much information on her family. I did find an aunt on FB, and shes gone too now. She was married to my moms brother. After friending her, and explaining who i was, which she knew already, her answer to any question I had was I don't want to know and she is not going to tell. So pretty much all I can find on my moms side is already listed in find a grave. On my dad's side, his sister at one time was researching family history and writing it down. I think I have part of her works. When my dad's brother passed, his family was not happy with him, His business was going down hill and he had borrowed a lot of money form his kids, and died before he paid them back so they were very upset about that and burned al of his paperwork left behind, and I think part of my aunt's work went in the fore along with it.

I have visited a lot of my family's gravestites now, and i would like to come up with a good way for me to write things down and put it all together.

Back