• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

First multi-night, multi location trip, guidance please...

Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
So end of April I will be doing a bunch of the Motorcycle Tour of Texas stops, kind of a loop on the southern, western and northern parts of Texas.
My rough plan so far will put it at 5 days. Start and end will be in Katy. Will be on my GL1500 Goldwing, all pre-trip stuff done.

2 main questions.
  • What do most do for hotels, book before hand, or wait till you get there to find something?
    I can see a cost savings and not having to worry about a room booking beforehand, but what if you are not able to make it to where you plan on, and then have to cancel (and incur a fee) and still have to find someplace to stay where you are at?
  • Am I being over optimistic in my times and distances (see below)?
    I have done several 10-11 hour days in the past without issue, but not several in a row.
    I have had a 4 day trip (350 miles, 560 miles, 340 miles, 260 miles) once, and was fine.
    I know that the first 2 days tend to be the best mileage/time days, and it drops after that.
    Am I over-estimating my riding ability (I know, you can't answer that). Am I being realistic with my times?
    I know you can't go by the Google map times since those are straight riding hours.
    You have to factor in gas stops, food, restroom (usually those 3 can be combined) and the photo stops for the Tour.
    I tend to find I have to add about a hour and a half for every 5 hours of Google time.

Tentative schedule:

Day 1: Katy to Cuero, Kingsville, South Padre, Hidalgo and stop in Alice for the night. Almost 600 miles, so I figure around 11-12 hours from start to finish that day.

Day 2: Alice to Crystal City, Big Bend National Park (just need an entrance sign) and Alpine for the night. 525 miles, I am guessing 10-11 hours.

Day 3: Alpine to Hobbs, NM, Seminole, Seagraves, Post, Ransom Canyon, and Shallow Water, staying in Lubbock area that night. ~ 400 miles, estimated 8 hours.

Day 4: Lubbock to Borger, Old Glory and Abilene for the night. ~500 miles, 9-10 hours.

Day 5: Abilene to Coleman, Blanket, Eastland, Dublin, Hearn, Navasota, and home to Katy. ~450 miles, another 9 hours.

I have almost 3 weeks total off, so adding a day will not be a huge deal, but when I did a quick routing of 6 days, seemed that some of the days were too short (and the drive from the Valley to Alpine will be long no matter what).

The week before I do this trip, I plan on doing an overnight to Paris and back.

Day 1 will be Katy to Navasota, Hearn, Donie, Terrell, Adison, Lewisville, Paris (x 3 stops). 450 miles, estimating 9 hours (maybe more if any traffic).

Trip home will be from Paris to Gladewater (x 3 stops) Kilgore, and Lufkin. 350 miles, maybe 7 hours?

I guess this will give me a better feel for how I may do. I also plan on setting up a hotel in Paris before I go.

> What do most do for hotels, book before hand, or wait till you get there to find something?

I like to just show up in a town and google for motels as I'm filling up with gas. Pre-booking places means you have an agenda - a requirement to be at a specific place each night. That can make you hurry, or means changing plans is an hassle. But - it means there's one less thing to deal with while you're on the road. For me, I prefer the flexibility of not pre-booking.

I like to aim closer to 400 mile days, to allow for detours, photos, slower dirt road, getting a little lost, etc.

> What do most do for hotels, book before hand, or wait till you get there to find something?

I like to just show up in a town and google for motels as I'm filling up with gas. Pre-booking places means you have an agenda - a requirement to be at a specific place each night. That can make you hurry, or means changing plans is an hassle. But - it means there's one less thing to deal with while you're on the road. For me, I prefer the flexibility of not pre-booking.

I like to aim closer to 400 mile days, to allow for detours, photos, slower dirt road, getting a little lost, etc.
+1
on my trips that were multi-day, multi-location, try as I might, it was always hard to average more than 50 mph from start to finish counting lunch, pee breaks, photo ops, etc. 400 miles/day was a strong day for me, but I didn't have a Goldwing. Also depended on how twisty, etc., ave speed limit.
same on the hotel. I would check just before going in, see what their best rate was for what they had, and then try to negotiate better. Only downside if is there's some local event that you don't know about happening, e.g. a big rodeo event that has all the hotels booked.

I figure a 50mph average when I figure travel times. I usually run the speed limit.
I'll be gone at the end of April or I'd offer you a bed, I'm only 27 miles from Borger. Maybe another time.

50 miles for every hour of riding almost always works out. On lodging, just do what makes you comfortable. If you are a worrier, book ahead and chill and figure 50 mph avg. If you thrive on adventure, just take your chances.

Have fun and good luck.

Kinda long and mostly about packing, but might be relevant info in here:

+1
on my trips that were multi-day, multi-location, try as I might, it was always hard to average more than 50 mph from start to finish counting lunch, pee breaks, photo ops, etc. 400 miles/day was a strong day for me, but I didn't have a Goldwing. Also depended on how twisty, etc., ave speed limit.
same on the hotel. I would check just before going in, see what their best rate was for what they had, and then try to negotiate better. Only downside if is there's some local event that you don't know about happening, e.g. a big rodeo event that has all the hotels booked.
And that is my concern as to why I want to book ahead, just want to make sure I have a place to stay and not paying 2x what I should be.
Would suck to get to a town that I was going to spend the night in after riding 10 hours only to find I have to ride another hour to find a place to stay.
I am somewhat adventurous, just not in that way.
I know even if you make plans they can change, but still...
I figure a 50mph average when I figure travel times. I usually run the speed limit.
I never heard that, but looking at my estimated times, it looks like that is about what I have figured.
Kinda long and mostly about packing, but might be relevant info in here:
I have seen that one before (as well as a few others).

I overpacked my first trip (3 days, 2 nights) to the sisters when I went with Joe.
I had both side bags and top case full, as well as another bag on the back seat.
2nd trip (4 days 3 nights) I had about 1/2 as much clothing (and still did not wear all of it).

I am fine with being smelly for a few days. I am debating just getting some over pants and then just wearing shorts underneath.
Will have a lot less clothing packed since only time I will be around people is eating and checking into hotels.
I figure a few changes of socks and underwear, some walking around shoes, 2 shirts, spare pants, pair of shorts (maybe 2 if I do the over pants), plus toiletries/meds, CPAP and tools. A bag for snacks, water and camera.

On booking your hotel, I would use an app like Trivago. About 1-2 hours before your preferred quitting time, go to a Wi-Fi hotspot such as McDonalds or Starbucks. Check the hotels at some of the towns ahead. Unless there is some event going on, you should be able to make reservations at a discount. It has always worked for me.

It depends on the type of traveler you are. I know folks who just like to wing it and have no plan because plans stress them out. I like to have a plan because if I don't have one and I don't have reservations and know where I'm laying my head tonight then I'm stressed out. You have to figure out what makes you relax on the trip.

Day 1 is usually good, you are excited on the trip. Day 2 is a little tiring. Day 3 is often more tiring. Day 4 you are into your groove and feeling good and you've got your second wind to carry you on the rest of the trip. Somehow your body knows when it's the last day of the trip and starts giving in and you are very tired.

I recognize your goal is the Texas tour but consider giving yourself some time to enjoy a few of the destinations at the apogee of your loop.
It could be a while before you get back out there again...if ever.

I recognize your goal is the Texas tour but consider giving yourself some time to enjoy a few of the destinations at the apogee of your loop.
What Dukey said….take your time and enjoy the ride. And half the clothes and twice the cash. And remember to put your tour flag away once you get your shot. Having to backtrack in the attempt to find it sucks.

I had put thought into that, but nothing comes to mind of what I want to see (one of the reasons I do the tour). Almost everywhere I am going I have been in the area at some point in time.
My sister lived in McClean in the panhandle for several years, and I have been up that way many times.
Personally, not a lot I want to see up that way that I have not already seen. Lots of windmills near Lubbock.
West Texas, sorry, I drive through it to get through it.
Been to South Texas/Valley a few times as well.
The tour is getting me to specific things I have not been to, and is a way for me to just get away and ride with a "goal".
I have not been to Big Bend, but it really does not interest me. If I was on a dual sport or off road bike, maybe, but on a Goldwing, nope.

I enjoy central Texas a lot more, and I spend time there enjoying other things besides just the tour. That will be a trip sometime in Sept/Oct.

I do have the ability to change my mind if I want to though, I am off from April 14 to May 4th.
Planning on leaving on Monday the 25th and be home on Friday the 29th, but have a lot of leeway if I do end up wanting to take more time.
What Dukey said….take your time and enjoy the ride. And half the clothes and twice the cash. And remember to put your tour flag away once you get your shot. Having to backtrack in the attempt to find it sucks.
LOL, I only did that once last year (Mystery Boat in Freeport). Had to run across the road chasing it.
I put it on my windshield after that, so I see it when I get on the bike.

I generally book in advance if there are few motel choices available. The downside to that is you have to meet your predefined trip schedule, which can take the fun out of the trip.

All of your end of day destinations have plenty of motel options. Yeah, the sharp motel operators will see a tired biker (but happy) and they'll charge full rate because they can. So what? Don't pinch pennies and enjoy your first big trip.

In planning my route/direction, I typically have a pretty good idea of where I’ll end up at the end of the day. I keep a general range around that area in mind to be flexible in case I need to stop early or continue riding for a bit longer. I leave it at that and then look at hotel availability at lunch or in the mid-afternoon. Camping is a completely different deal, but with the internet and most towns having plenty of availability I can usually find something acceptable with little effort. Don’t overthink this one. The flexibility of the ride and going by feel is more valuable than the predictability of a specific place to stay.

For me, day 1 is excitement and determination. Day 2 is soreness and fatigue management. Day 3 I am broke in and ready to stay on the road indefinitely. Depending on your mentality there is also a “zen” of sorts that appears as you stay on the road, getting lost further and further inside your helmet. Usually sets in on Day 2 for me and is completely consuming by the third day. I like listening to music on day rides, but on a long trip the solitude inside the helmet is more important than the destination itself.

In packing the bike if you load up with healthy snacks and lots of water, you can cut down on cost, time at stops, and fatigue. April isn’t summer, but it’s warm enough to make you sweat to the point of dehydration on a long ride. Drink water at every stop and always make sure you have enough onboard to get you to the next stop. Manage fatigue and pace yourself in a rhythm more so than riding until tired before resting.

I also like to write stuff down. Thoughts, head trip stuff, things to remember. It helps with planning the next trip. Things come and go so fast these days that critical priorities I think of while on the road get forgotten and I have to rediscover them or remember them when an opportunity might have passed by. Doesn’t have to be anything like a memoir or journal, but write some stuff down as you end the day. You’ll be surprised what you come up with.

…paper map works wonders when you get in an area with no signal. I also keep a sticky note in my jacket of the route by town name so if I get turned around I can always ask someone how to get to whatever town I need.

All of your end of day destinations have plenty of motel options. Yeah, the sharp motel operators will see a tired biker (but happy) and they'll charge full rate because they can. So what? Don't pinch pennies and enjoy your first big trip.
Book your motel using Priceline or whatever while you eat dinner or get gas in the last town (or next to last town). This lets you remain flexible while still getting you 'internet' pricing.

But yeah unless rides like this become a habit - don't fret over the motel costs for a 4 or 5 night trip. If cost is a major factor, then we'd be talking camping or couch surfing.

Looking at your route:

Alice to Alpine, via Big Bend is going to be a big day. Perhaps sleep in Study Butte instead - shaving 90 miles off the day?

Or, split this in half, adding some of the best roads in Texas:
Alice > Hondo > Bandera > Barksdale > Rocksprings > Bracketville
then
Bracketville > Marathon > Big Bend > Presidio ( I LOVE every mile of this ride)

Lubbock has always been my least-favorite town for moto-motelling. It can be crazy expensive and relatively low quality. Or, maybe I'm just not doing it right...

> Alpine to Hobbs, NM, Seminole, Seagraves, Post, Ransom Canyon, and Shallow Water, staying in Lubbock area that night. ~ 400 miles, estimated 8 hours.

One option would be to swing a little further west - see Guadelupe Mt park, then stop around Seagraves?

In any case, this sounds so fun and I wish I had time to do something similar...

Moto Liberty (Addison) area has road construction on Midway and Beltline. I go to a hangar near Moto Liberty and I exit tollway at Keller Springs thru tunnel left on Midway.
I usually take one extra shirt and whatever I am wearing under my riding pants , since they are wicking material wash them out in the motel sink and they are air dried in the morning .
Have fun .

I generally book in advance if there are few motel choices available. The downside to that is you have to meet your predefined trip schedule, which can take the fun out of the trip.

I am starting to think I will do a mix. First 2 nights make reservations (Alice and Alpine) to get me through the long days and not worry about where I am going to stop.
Night 3 and 4 (and 5?), ride till I am tired and stop when I get to that point. If I need to take a rest day I have the time to do that as well.

I am normally a cheapskate, but I told my wife that for this trip, the budget will be bigger than what I normally would do.
Figure 2500 miles, 30 mpg (probably a bit more, but using that for a base). Will be about 85 gallons of fuel. With the recent price increases, my fuel budget went up about $100. I am saying $400 for fuel.
Rooms, I will budget $150/night, but really think it will be closer to the $100 range (or less, I am not a picky sleeper).
Food, $50/day (probably less, I tend to not eat lunch when riding, and not a big breakfast person either, but know I need to eat something).

In packing the bike if you load up with healthy snacks and lots of water, you can cut down on cost, time at stops, and fatigue. April isn’t summer, but it’s warm enough to make you sweat to the point of dehydration on a long ride. Drink water at every stop and always make sure you have enough onboard to get you to the next stop. Manage fatigue and pace yourself in a rhythm more so than riding until tired before resting.

I also like to write stuff down. Thoughts, head trip stuff, things to remember. It helps with planning the next trip. Things come and go so fast these days that critical priorities I think of while on the road get forgotten and I have to rediscover them or remember them when an opportunity might have passed by. Doesn’t have to be anything like a memoir or journal, but write some stuff down as you end the day. You’ll be surprised what you come up with.

…paper map works wonders when you get in an area with no signal. I also keep a sticky note in my jacket of the route by town name so if I get turned around I can always ask someone how to get to whatever town I need.
I have a camel back for water, as well as a large 3 liter insulated jug that I keep full. I have a history of kidney stones, so hydration is always a priority for me.

Good idea on writing stuff down on the go. I used to keep a journal, but quit a few years ago, I really should start that up again.

I have a Garmin, so not worried about loosing cell signal, but still have all the addresses of the stops printed out on paper.

Moto Liberty (Addison) area has road construction on Midway and Beltline. I go to a hangar near Moto Liberty and I exit tollway at Keller Springs thru tunnel left on Midway.
I usually take one extra shirt and whatever I am wearing under my riding pants , since they are wicking material wash them out in the motel sink and they are air dried in the morning .
Have fun .
Thanks for that info, I hate driving in Dallas/Ft Worth as is, and construction makes it even worse, as well as the seemingly random toll roads that seem to pop up. I have a Tx tag account with my plate registered with them, but no transponder on the bike.

I have 2 of those wicking shirts that I like to ride with, and what you said above is what I did last overnight trip I had. They are also nice when hot, I can pour water over my mesh jacket and get them wet, and it really is cooling while riding.

Good info from all here so far, I have a few things I still need to re-evaluate and think about from the info here.

On your way to Alpine from Crystal City, be sure to pull over and stop at the Pecos River Bridge. It’s pretty incredible and worth the 5-10mins. Also, there is a 92 mile stretch between Del Rio and Marathon with no gas. Fuel in Marathon is I think one gas station then once you get to Alpine, you’re back in “civilization”.

Also note, for this day it is a solid 90-100 minutes from Alpine to Big Bend. More than 3 hours round trip….but Terlingua is worth it! That’s gonna be a long day so get started early. Take a warm layer because it can get cold quickly on a clear day in the desert once the sun sets.

Moto Liberty (Addison) area has road construction on Midway and Beltline.
doh! I was just there this weekend and didn't even realize I was in the area. Oh well, don't need any gear right now but it would have been nice to visit a good shop.
please excuse the temporary hijack....

Yup, 50 mph avg is my gold standard for trip planning. I signed up with Wyndham hotels rewards program and make all my reservations before leaving on a trip as I like the peace of mind knowing there is a bed with my name on it at the end of a long day. For multiple 500-600 mile days in a row I'll throw in a 400 easy day.

Have a great trip.

I grew up in the "Spinach Capital of the World" Crystal City in the 1960's.
2020-06-04 37.jpg

Keep your old, worn socks and underwear. Instead of bringing home dirty laundry, toss it as you take it off.
I did this on our trip to Colorado. Worked out great. I added old T-shirts to the mix. They make good rags before throwing them out.

When I did the tour last year I did the same thing, but stretched it out to 6 days. That put me closer to around 400 miles a day. Made the trip a little less like a quest and allowed me to enjoy the ride a little more.

If you are so inclined, stop 48 in Coleman (Harbord Kourt) was a very comfortable room. They only have 4 little cabins, but the bed was very nice.

Back