• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FM 4 Loop and learning

Traxx

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
My first ride of any distance. Unfortunately, I didn't get all of FM 4. There was a detour and had to follow 3137 on around to I-20 to get back to FM-4. I also made another detour on TX-16, nice loop with a twisty downhill. The ride was great, however I did learn a few things.
I need more batteries and a bigger memory card for the video camera or take shorter rides or try to just video the interesting parts. I just need to know where the interesting parts are before I get to them.
I need to make it about the ride and not the destination. Slow down, make the stops to see stuff. I found my self pushing to "make time". I passed up at least 3 historical markers. I need to take a look next time.
Get gas and walk around more often.
Camel baks don't really work with full face helmets. Taking the helmet off takes away the reason for the camel bak.
Semi's are not as scary as I thought they would be.
I am slow in curves.
Gotta figure out why my helmet is so **** loud. I have tried closing and opening all vents, chin curtain on and off and adjusting the visor tension. Oh and its a Shoei RF-1200 which I chose because its supposed to be quiet.
Here is a link to the Rever track.
https://a.rever.co/rides/207675

ah, a detour to 3137, that would be for the construction on the new lake right in the middle of the best part of 4.

cant see your track it requires a sign on.

The ride is what you make of it.
I only wear a full face helmet and you just sneak the hose under and bite the bite valve. Just takes practice and obviously don't do it in a curve. :lol2:
If I bring the Muvo video camera, I find I concentrate on that too much. Besides, most people really don't want to see it anyway.

Ride safe and have fun

ah, a detour to 3137, that would be for the construction on the new lake right in the middle of the best part of 4.

cant see your track it requires a sign on.

The lake they've been talking about since before I was born. :giveup:

My brother works for the state road department and he said the state signed off on the funds to fix that section of FM4. It was originally closed due to all the flooding which almost created a sinkhole under one side of the road and caused the shoulder (what little there is) to collapse on the south bound side near the turn off for Palo Pinto lake. Basically they didn't close it due to building of the new lake they closed it due to flood damage.

So it should be fixed just a question of how long it'll take them to do so.

Last edited:
My first ride of any distance.

Carl,

I can't emphasize enough that you should join up with a group of riders and make it to the Switch at Cool on Sunday.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110976

A better group of folks you will never meet. Look at post #55.
Ron knows the area like the back of his hand.

I'm in Granbury SW of you and try and ride at least one day a week. We need to get together and share lies.

I would love to make it to Cool, however comma,,,, I will be in transit to NOLA for training this Sunday. I will shoot a pm your way when I am back in town, most likely in a couple of weeks.
Oil Field trash here so I am gone for a while at a time and bored most days that I am home.

My first ride of any distance. Unfortunately, I didn't get all of FM 4. There was a detour and had to follow 3137 on around to I-20 to get back to FM-4. I also made another detour on TX-16, nice loop with a twisty downhill. The ride was great, however I did learn a few things.
I need more batteries and a bigger memory card for the video camera or take shorter rides or try to just video the interesting parts. I just need to know where the interesting parts are before I get to them.
I need to make it about the ride and not the destination. Slow down, make the stops to see stuff. I found my self pushing to "make time". I passed up at least 3 historical markers. I need to take a look next time.
Camel baks don't really work with full face helmets. Taking the helmet off takes away the reason for the camel bak.
I am slow in curves.
Gotta figure out why my helmet is so **** loud. I have tried closing and opening all vents, chin curtain on and off and adjusting the visor tension. Oh and its a Shoei RF-1200 which I chose because its supposed to be quiet.
Here is a link to the Rever track.
https://a.rever.co/rides/207675

You ride like I like to ride, stop and smell the roses type of riding, that is when I get there, I'm there. Most of the time when you ride with a group, stopping is not going to happen, sure fuel breaks, but anything that may look interesting isn't going to happen, unless it's planned for in advance. It takes a lot of riding to find someone who has the same riding styles as you do and when each one wants to stop, it's ok with the other. I like riding the speed limit and if a little slower on the back roads that's ok to. You will probably need to go to a local run to meet up with some riders, you might even run into Trainman and Piglet, two riders that ride for fun. Now that the weather is starting to cool, the Tuesday Nights M&G&E are a good place to meet riders and usually in the N. E. Fort Worth area.
The helmet thing can always be a problem with wind and noise, I don't care which helmet you buy. Biggest cure for noise and wind is a windshield, it will take care of most of that, big difference in riding behind one and not. Plus, all windshields are not that great at doing what they say they will do, I've used the Madstad shields for years, for me they do what I want a shield to do.
trainman

Last edited:
Trainman, I will try to get in touch with you when I get back in town.
I will be at the Sat breakfast in Roanoke.

okay looks like reaver will be put to the wayside.

Aww dang, did they start on that already? +1 to your comment- losing the "best part of 4" there. :/

Go up a few posts and read what I posted. They've been talking about that dam FOR A LONG TIME.

How far down is the damage? it looks like there is a back road that may be a fun called Ward Mt Rd? Anybody try this?

3137 was not that much fun, so next time I hit that route I will try Ward Mt.

Two ways to look at this: Film the stuff you want and not everything, or capture everything and wade through hours of video to get to the good bits. Personally, I am in the camp of filming little to none as I don't have the desire (or time) to search hours and hours of video looking for a few minute's worth of good stuff.

You have to consider the purpose of the particular ride and any constraints the you have. Some rides are about making the miles, and some are about finding the roses. The cool thing is each ride is unique!

With time and more experience, you'll figure out the balance of time stopped and frequency for you and your bike. And as you become more seasoned at riding, the need for breaks likely will decrease somewhat.

It depends on the helmet and the amount of room between you and the chin bar. The angled bite valves are the only thing that will work under a helmet. It's a bit awkward, but a Camel Bak can be used while under way.

I am slow in curves.

Semi-trucks are nothing to be afraid of. Give yourself some space between you and them and it isn't really a big deal. Don't, however, just sit and run along side them (car or bike). If you are going to pass, then get on with it and get out in front of them. Return to the original pace after making the pass.

For a newer rider, being slow in curves is normal. And healthy. Experience will help that along. Don't worry about speeding through the curves, but rather work at being smooth through the curves. "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast".

At the end of the day, the trophy that awaits us is getting there intact.

Hint: All helmets are loud when being pushed through an air stream. It's just some are more so than others.

The advice about the windscreen given earlier is a good place to start. If your head is in the wind stream and buffeting that comes up from the windscreen, then the wind noise will be louder.

If the noise is really bothering you, then try some various ear plugs and see if that makes the ride more enjoyable. Many folks ride with ear plugs.

And find some riding buddies, get out there and get some experience. You'll be amazed at how fast you'll improve. But be warned... don't let anyone (or anything) push you beyond your personal limits. If they take off and start carving the twisties and you can't confidently keep up, then just let them go. Ride your own ride. You'll catch up to them soon enough. And if you don't, then they really weren't a riding buddy to begin with.

I am looking into a wind screen, for now I am looking into the BMW touring wind screen and the Madstad 18" wind screen. The madstad is a little over half price of the bmw and it also has great reviews.
The filming is just for fun and I don't really care to be fiddling with the cam when I am riding. I know its just a little red button but...... I am still new and not that confident.
The reason I have been solo is because I don't want to slow down or annoy other riders. I know I am slow and rock that shiz....
I was looking at a modular helmet schuberth c-3 to start with and talked myself out of it and ended up with the Shoei.
Yesterdays ride was a combo of getting in miles for the first service on my bike and experience. I also wanted to see what the fuss was about FM 4. Now that I know, the ride to Jacksboro is a no film.
I am thinking about exploring the area between runaway bay and Jacksboro, looks like a lot of cool backroads.

When the mercury drops down into the reasonable range in the coming weeks, one Saturday I will be meeting up with a new rider and taking him for a run down to the Loco Coyote in Glen Rose. :eat:

He's just been riding around his neighborhood, so he is real green. We'll be going extra slow on this one, and will be giving him some riding advice as we go along. You are welcome to join in if you like.

Hmmmmm, around the blockade....I wonder what kind of trouble I can get into.....
Glen Rose sounds fun.

Back