• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

future of pie runs.

Is there a specific Saturday of each month?
remind me...

john, you might want to start new thread for Hico pie run (unless you did already) so you know a headcount and can let kkk know.
Good idea. Never having done this before a little guidance would help.

Is there a Pie Run to Hico or no? I see no New Thread.

It is not under the normal place that I can find, that is why I missed it, without your link I never would have seen it, I am sure others also.

I didn’t offer a southern style last month because it fell on Memorial Day weekend. Between people having family plans and the probability of finding a place that wouldn’t be packed, it just seemed like a wash. I have no excuse for this month other than I’ve been concentrating on finding a job and forgot.

Due to a string of issues, I haven't been on the bike in several years - since before covid. I retired last month and was thinking that I really need to dust off the bike and start hitting the pie runs again. Imagine my disappointment when I looked at TWT-sponsored events and didn't see a pie run schedule. Are they happening at all anymore? Is there even a Pie Man? As woodsguy said, I remember when some of the pie runs had huge turnouts. I, for one, would love to see them revived.

Rydah usually puts together a Pie Run Southern Style for the last Saturday of the month and is usually around SE Texas. There are some over around central Texas that do a "Ride to Eat" once a month - usually on a Sunday for folks who have to work on Saturday. I can't organize much due to working weekends for the foreseeable future. If you're retired and have time on your hands, jump in and herd these cats together!

Due to a string of issues, I haven't been on the bike in several years - since before covid. I retired last month and was thinking that I really need to dust off the bike and start hitting the pie runs again. Imagine my disappointment when I looked at TWT-sponsored events and didn't see a pie run schedule. Are they happening at all anymore? Is there even a Pie Man? As woodsguy said, I remember when some of the pie runs had huge turnouts. I, for one, would love to see them revived.

Leon did it for a long time, then Covid happened, but I don't know that he has time to deal with it anymore.

We could use a new "Pie Man" ;-)

The original pie man got the job because he was the one that suggested the idea o me and I had no time to even think about doing it myself. It is definitely a case of, "Build it and they will come!" :thumb:

Wildebube.

The last pie run I attended I organized, Sam’s in Fairfield, Feb. ‘21 . I think 14 attended, a few years earlier I counted 114 bikes in the parking lot.

If you’re interested:

In E. Texas we have 3 monthly meet ups.

The 1st Thursday is the East Texas BMW Plus group (Plus means all makes) at the Whataburger in Jacksonville at 6pm. The 2nd Saturday is the breakfast meet at the Tyler Pounds Airport diner (150 Airport Drive, Tyler) at 8am. The 3rd Saturday is the East Texas BMW Plus monthly rotating ride/eat, next month’s spot is the Shady Glade Cafe in Karnak, breakfast at 9am.

Last edited:
Wildebube.

The last pie run I attended I organized, Sam’s in Fairfield, Feb. ‘21 . I think 14 attended, a few years earlier I counted 114 bikes in the parking lot.

This exactly. ^^^^^^

I have been to a LOT of Pie Runs over the years. Even before Covid attendance was starting to go down significantly. I can see why Leon got burned out. He would set up a Pie Run and towards the end of his doing them many times very few would show up. Even when there was a pretty good turnout many of the people didn't post up in the thread about attending and the people count given to the restaurant would be low. Then some people would complain about service being slow or running out of pie. Go figure. I am guessing it turned into a thankless job for him over time.

I find it interesting that there have been quite a few people that have posted up that they would like Pie Runs again, but very few that offer to become the new Pie Man and start organizing events.

Wildebube.

If you’re interested:

In E. Texas we have 3 monthly meet ups.

The 1st Thursday is the East Texas BMW Plus group (Plus means all makes) at the Whataburger in Jacksonville at 6pm. The 2nd Saturday is the breakfast meet at the Tyler Pounds Airport diner (150 Airport Drive, Tyler) at 8am. The 3rd Saturday is the East Texas BMW Plus monthly rotating ride/eat, next month’s spot is the Shady Glade Cafe in Karnak, breakfast at 9am.
And if you want to stretch your throttle cables a bit, join us for 3rd Saturday Breakfast, in Midlothian.

Wildebube.

I don't think I've been to a pie run since somewhere around 2017, but as I remember attendance was already dropping off. But 14 is really sad. I remember filling the parking lots. We had more than twice that number even in remote locations like the one in Fort Davis. More centralized locations like Sam's or the Bluebonnet Cafe (?) In Marble Falls were packed.

I'm in the middle of a move to Grand Saline, but if the BMW group will allow a Guzzi, I may try to catch one of the East Texas get-togethers.

Covid may have affected the attendance, to a point.

The Plus means welcome to all makes. We've got one member who rides an 850TT.

Back