• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Glenn St. John injury

Funny thing is, he was on a 350.
You were talking about getting a new 4 stroke recently. I was getting excited about the 350 coming out because I felt the 450 was too much for me but 250 was too revvy to serve the same purpose. I'm more of a tractor lover. Lots of reading and reviews of the 350EXC suggested that the character of the engine was more racy than the 450. Even in Supercross, there were riders using it in the 450 class when it came out. That ended of course. But it says something about how the 350 can wind up so quickly. To D class riders, that can get us into trouble.

I already had my big incident in SHNF already with a tree. Tree got me right above the right boot cuff. Thought I'd broken the tibia. 1 month of a massive hematoma only. But it prompted me to buy a new bike with e-start since I nearly crawled out of the woods, leaving the bike behind, when I didn't think I'd ever get the bike started...night riding during the week and no one expected to ride by for another few days.

KTM 350cc 4 stroke vs 300cc 2 stroke
350 is a mid size 4 stroke with the intention of bridging the gap between the 250 and 450. And to a degree it does, but as stated above to really run like a 450, which top hp is close, it has to scream. Don't get me wrong it works really well without being in that rev range. And don't fret the new 300's either, now that they have fuel injection they are a lot easier to live with. Not near the hit although it will still move on out.

Talking to him today seems he got a little throttle happy and ran wide in a corner off into the grass. It appeared good to go so he rode it out till he hit a burned out tree hidden in the grass. The tree ripped his leg around in a bad way, then he fell and broke the hand. My understanding both pieces had surgery. Heck he might be home tomorrow or Friday!!

Not having a good day. Pain. Reflux. Therapy.

Hoping he makes enough recovery to enjoy getting back out when it cools down. That is my goal also.

Glad he's back home. Hopefully, he has help there to help him get around.

A lady friend will be there tonight. My son will build a ramp from his lower living area to the kitchen area tomorrow morning.( 3 steps too narrow for the walker) The lady has to work her shift as a nurse tomorrow night. I'll check on him when I get off and see where we're at.

One of the recent mags said something like the new 350 kicks out 57hp...stock? With EFI... that's gotta be a handful when you put the spurs to it.

To fill in the question about 300 vs 350...yeah, 2stroke vs four. The 300 is outright violence to me. I have no business trying to ride one but they're way fun when not misbehaving. The throttle to me is sometimes like grabbing a live wire. The bike goes berserk quicker than you can blink and trying to let go of it is a challenge while doing everything possible just trying to stay on the dang saddle. It's tried to put me in the woods more times than I want to count. Honesty just been doggone lucky...so far.

To fill in the question about 300 vs 350...yeah, 2stroke vs four. The 300 is outright violence to me. I have no business trying to ride one but they're way fun when not misbehaving. The throttle to me is sometimes like grabbing a live wire. The bike goes berserk quicker than you can blink and trying to let go of it is a challenge while doing everything possible just trying to stay on the dang saddle. It's tried to put me in the woods more times than I want to count. Honesty just been doggone lucky...so far.

I’ve had the privilege of riding both (thanks to a good friend who owns them). On the trails, the 350 is like one of those tractor pull tractors. Pulls hard but will leave you if you let it. The 300 is like a pissed off wolverine. @_RG_ is exactly right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finished passing a friend and got a little throttle happy...drifted off the trail on a fast left hander and thought I could just ease back on but the 3-4 foot pine stump had other intentions.
Thanks for all your Prayers and Good Wishes....Off the meds and working on mobility. Hand Dr. says 2 more weeks before the rest of the pins come out. Wasn't happy I pulled one out on my own...oops. Doing leg lifts to get my good leg over the bikes.....We shall overcome!!!!
Broken lot of bones in the past...They were never this painful

No matter the drugs, reality hits. And the pain meds after serious surgery cause their own issues.
The Oxycodone worked great for the pain but wreaked havoc on my diaphragm....stutterng hiccups that I couldn't catch my breath.Glad to be off that stuff.

Get better soonest Glen, yeah, you might be a bit oldish as mentioned but dam, you are a dynamo of energy. If you need any help at all you have my number. The forest dwellers miss you already.

Just finished passing a friend and got a little throttle happy...drifted off the trail on a fast left hander and thought I could just ease back on but the 3-4 foot pine stump had other intentions.
Thanks for all your Prayers and Good Wishes....Off the meds and working on mobility. Hand Dr. says 2 more weeks before the rest of the pins come out. Wasn't happy I pulled one out on my own...oops. Doing leg lifts to get my good leg over the bikes.....We shall overcome!!!!
Broken lot of bones in the past...They were never this painful

I saw him Monday night, getting around really well. He did pull one pin out of his hand, Dr. not happy but pit splint on it and told him not use it. Hip seems to progressing just fine.
Thanks to Woodsguy for watching over me...Good friends are hard to find.
....Terry Cummings for leading my way getting home and subsequent errands
....Jeff Heller,Randy Adams and Billy Click..getting me off the trail and into EMS's arms.
.....JFink for always being ready willing and able
.....Phil Kiser a dependable friend that always says yes.

Last edited:
Back