• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GSX1250fa vs SV650

Reaction score
I have a 2011 GSX1250fa Increasingly I find myself on short lumpy dirt roads so would like something at least 100 lbs lighter but no one seems to make just that. I'm 5'5" with a 28" inseam so seat height is a big deal. The SV seat height and weight look attractive so I could add bags and small fairing but I wonder about vibration. Does anyone know how they compare to the 1250? (Test rides are getting hard to find these days.) Or are there other recommendations?

The physical size of the of the 1250 is OK but I have spent full days on a Hawkgt so ergos could be smaller. The 1250 does get some transient vibration in the seat which I would like to go away. I do not want something that vibrates more. The level of wind protection is good. Bag size is good and it is nice and quiet. Of course I'm willing to give up power and as long as a bike cruises comfortable at 80 mph that is fine. The lower fairing is a **** to remove for servicing so I don't need that. A V Strom is not an option because they are physically too big/ tall. I had planned to buy one when I got the 1250 but the 1250 is a much more compact motorcycle...even though 100 lbs heavier.

KTM 390 Adventure would be worth a look.

Or possibly a Honda CB500X...

The motor on the SV is magic if you are concerned about that being a source of vibration. The riding position is compact on the SV, but you already know that. I don’t know what bags/windscreen setup would be available.

I ride a 650 Strom, and I get more vibes from the knobby tires and the chain (as it ages) than I do from the engine. That engine is very happy from 5k to redline. Below 4K it is relaxed with plenty of pull, but sounds like a diesel powered egg beater with a whistle in the exhaust. Above 5k the little monster starts to come out.

Based on your wish list, I suspect the SV would be a very good choice. Before you totally write off the VStrom, however, consider this. You can buy one with the low seat; that'll buy you about an inch. And from there, it's pretty easy to drop it another inch or so by replacing the dogbones on the rear shock. I'm 5'8" with a 29" inseam, and I can easily flat foot at stop lights.

Back