• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hello from Conroe!

Reaction score
Hi, Everyone!

I’ve been living in Conroe for about a year and exploring with my trusty 2013 cb500x. I’ve had some amazing weekend rides in the Sam Houston National Forest, west out towards Brenham, and east toward the Alabama-Coushattas. I had an accident in the SHNF in July and broke my leg, so I figure I should

A) not ride solo anymore, and
B) get some off road rider training

Anybody got any recommendations for training courses nearby? I was signed up for one last spring before the accident, but it fell through…

Anyone interested in weekend street and/or light adv/off road style riding? Get in touch! The doctor cleared me to ride, and I’m easing back into it…

IMG_9622.jpeg

69793699103__E85DB8F7-3C1E-421B-B199-3AD759078F0E.jpeg

IMG_9838.jpeg

IMG_9571.jpeg

IMG_9334.jpeg

When you visit the Independence church, try going on a Saturday afternoon. Sometimes you can catch the pastor there, and he's a really cool guy. he will show you where Sam Houston carved his initials in the wood to mark his spot and you can sit in Sam's spot. Also slip up the road to check out the remains of Baylor University.

Also slip on over to Washington on the Brazos. Right now is a good time to pick up pecans from the actual state tree of Texas and plant some of your own. I have about a dozen growing from it.

I'm looking to attend training myself. This particular outfit is in Burnet, which would be a little bit of a hike for you, but the little that I have heard about it is positive. I'm trying to talk a local friend into attending, but I still have work to do on that front. Nonetheless, my skills are not that good, and I am looking to avoid any more of my own broken bones.

Last edited:
I remember passing by the Baylor stuff, but have not been back out that way lately to check it out. I did, however, go to Washington-on-the-Brazos! I liked it so much, I ended up taking some of my students out there for a living history weekend. Those folks are awesome! The Barrington Plantation living history interpreters were also fantastic.

Thanks for the recommendation re: Austin Moto Adventures! It looks a little pricey, but then again, I supposed I'd rather spend it on training than surgery...

No they aren't inexpensive, but it does look like they are at least trying to do it right, and their focus is exactly what I need it to be, i.e. how to become more proficient on my monster ADV motorcycle. I love riding it, I just need to get better at it. If I can get a skilled instructor to tell me what I am doing wrong and show me how to practice doing it right, then it would be well worth the price to me. I have no illusions that I can avoid dropping my bike, but I'd like to be able to avoid damaging either it or me too much in the process.

Not to throw shade on Austin Moto Adventures, I am sure they are doing a fab job, I’d like to attend a weekend out there too!

Another option though, is the MSF Dirt Bike class. More economical, but not very available. The class focuses on basic skills and techniques. You can use their bike or your own. But like I said, not many classes being offered.

Send an email to Rio Bravo MX Park, they used to offer the class. INFO@RIOBRAVOMX.COM

Yep, $$ spent on training is money well invested.

Oh, and Welcome to TWT!

No they aren't inexpensive, but it does look like they are at least trying to do it right, and their focus is exactly what I need it to be, i.e. how to become more proficient on my monster ADV motorcycle. I love riding it, I just need to get better at it. If I can get a skilled instructor to tell me what I am doing wrong and show me how to practice doing it right, then it would be well worth the price to me. I have no illusions that I can avoid dropping my bike, but I'd like to be able to avoid damaging either it or me too much in the process.
Not to throw shade on Austin Moto Adventures, I am sure they are doing a fab job, I’d like to attend a weekend out there too!

Another option though, is the MSF Dirt Bike class. More economical, but not very available. The class focuses on basic skills and techniques. You can use their bike or your own. But like I said, not many classes being offered.

Send an email to Rio Bravo MX Park, they used to offer the class. INFO@RIOBRAVOMX.COM

Yep, $$ spent on training is money well invested.

Oh, and Welcome to TWT!
Excellent! I’ll follow up and see what I can learn. These folks offer the MSF ADV course (I had planned to take it back in March, but the weather wasn’t cooperating and it fell through): https://texasdirt2adventure.com. I think it might be another month or two before I’m confident enough in my ankle to give it another shot, but they’re offering it in Jan and Feb

Interesting discussion, I book marked the link in case I can take an off road course.

There might be a trail guide in the Big Bend area or in the Hidden Falls area that might could help. I don't have any experience yet. I am waiting at least until I put new dirt tires on my dual sport bike.

Back