• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hello new (to me) KTM 990 SMT

Reaction score
Well, I've been a little bike restless for a few months and finally came across one I could not resist and have added another to the stable...
2013 KTM 990 SMT, was the last year they made 'em and this was such a nice example with Akrapovic exhaust, Akrapovic carbon fiber front fender, KTM orange engine guards and a lot more... only 2400 miles, so just broken in and ready for me to pile the miles on. :rider:
Just dropped it off at the dealer for install of heated grips, centerstand, Kaoko cruise control, fresh rubber. Have a new KTM tank bag and 48L rear hard case to put on as well. Is fast and comfy, can't wait to get some nice fall rides in ASAP!
image2_zps80b6bc6b.jpg

image1_zps3b2bdad2.jpg

IMG_20542_zps8b25cb06.jpg

AND, going to clean up the K1200GT and pass it on to another sport touring fan. (hopefully a TWTEX member)
Look for it in the FS section soon. Has just under 26k miles and lots of great aftermarket goodies/farkles.
Will miss it, but don't think I need 3 bikes and am pretty sure my butt is gonna be in the seat of the KTM mostly!

update - BMW listed FS: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99838

I would love to hear that bike... I bet it sounds REALLY sweet hard on the throttle!

No offense, but you're really putting a trunk on that beautiful bike.

I would love to hear that bike... I bet it sounds REALLY sweet hard on the throttle!

Hey Scott! Yes, it sounds fantastic idling, on the throttle, on decel - all of it :-P
It's got the y-pipe which deletes the cats and I have the inserts out currently.
Here is somebody's youtube vid of a 990 w the same setup.
I think mine sounds better/smoother because I have the Akrapovic map installed (no backfiring or popping like that one...).

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense, but you're really putting a trunk on that beautiful bike.

It's removable of course - and matches pretty well when it will be on the bike for long trips and need storage.
It comes with side bags as well and those look goofier than the rear case , imho... All bags will only be on for trips!

62012027000_zps0df3e0fc.jpg

Beautiful bike either way. Kinda sounds like my 990 adventure.

Congratulation on an excellent find and purchase! I hope we will get to see it at a Pie Run.

You know there are some bikes that you can just sit there in the garage and look at for hours and never get tired of it, this would be one of those bikes, I can only imagine what it's like to ride one.

You know there are some bikes that you can just sit there in the garage and look at for hours and never get tired of it, this would be one of those bikes, I can only imagine what it's like to ride one.

Ha, thanks! It is currently at the dealer and I am missing ogling it in the garage, not to mention riding as well.
At least with it gone I was able to focus on the K12GT this weekend, detail it and post it up for sale...

Congats on your purchase! Love the black with Orange
Frame. Bought the same combo on a 1290 Super Duke
this last July. Hoping at some point they put the 1290
in a ST set up like yours. Already put 5K miles on mine
and nothing but oil change and rear tire has been used.

Congats on your purchase! Love the black with Orange
Frame. Bought the same combo on a 1290 Super Duke
this last July. Hoping at some point they put the 1290
in a ST set up like yours. Already put 5K miles on mine
and nothing but oil change and rear tire has been used.

Btw, thanks - Digging the bike so far!
I've yet to ride a 1290 Duke, but heard they are just mental/crazy/fun... :-)

Thanks, I had heard the rumor, but had not
seen spy shots yet. This is my first KTM and
it handles, runs and fits better than I ever
dreamed it would. Saw your bike on the same
show room in Conroe about six months before
and messed around until some one else bought
it. Ran in to the new owner on the road and we
discussed how he liked his ST and when I saw
the SDR1290 in July with black body and orange
frame I had to have it. It would be a bonus to have
your soft bags and wind screen set up. The 1290
motor with the Traction Control and ABS makes
the bike so sweet. Without it, this 180 HP beast
might not be so forgiveable (ie, a blast) to ride!

Well, I've been a little bike restless for a few months and finally came across one I could not resist and have added another to the stable...
2013 KTM 990 SMT, was the last year they made 'em and this was such a nice example with Akrapovic exhaust, Akrapovic carbon fiber front fender, KTM orange engine guards and a lot more... only 2400 miles, so just broken in and ready for me to pile the miles on. :rider:
Just dropped it off at the dealer for install of heated grips, centerstand, Kaoko cruise control, fresh rubber. Have a new KTM tank bag and 48L rear hard case to put on as well. Is fast and comfy, can't wait to get some nice fall rides in ASAP!
View attachment 191404
View attachment 191405
View attachment 191406

AND, going to clean up the K1200GT and pass it on to another sport touring fan. (hopefully a TWTEX member)
Look for it in the FS section soon. Has just under 26k miles and lots of great aftermarket goodies/farkles.
Will miss it, but don't think I need 3 bikes and am pretty sure my butt is gonna be in the seat of the KTM mostly!

update - BMW listed FS: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99838
Hey, stupolvo!

Bike is BEAUTIFUL.

Sorry to bring an old thread back from the dead, but I got myself an SMT in the spring and have a question for you. I'm absolutely loving the bike, but I'm looking into some luggage options and I've got my eye on the KTM 48L top case that you mentioned in your post. I'm curious, does that case mount directly to the luggage rack/grab handle rack that our bikes come equipped with from the factory, or does it require an additional mounting plate?

Thanks in advance homie!

Hey Six - KTM has been out of my stable for a few years now, but i'm pretty sure it bolted right to the KTM metal plate that was back there.
Enjoy that bike - miss mine!

Yo! Thank you so much for replying, I really appreciate it. Hope you're happy with the new wheels you're moved on to.

I know I'm going back in time on you a bit, but do you know if this piece below is the piece it bolted to or was there anything additional? Its the OEM plastic luggage rack/grab handle combo that comes factory on the SMT

Yep - that looks like it exactly from my recollection 👍🏼.

Loving my R1200RS currently - fits the bill and is paid for. Riding it to COTA for the races next couple of days...
Will ride it home like a hooligan. Something about riding home after watching MotoGP racers makes me nutty.

Awesome, bro, thank you so so much. Sorry I had to resort to bugging you on here, but concrete information on some of this stuff is very difficult to come by and your post showed up in a google search.

As for your r1200...if that's the ride in your avatar, that's a **** handsome lookin' bike, good for you. Unbelievably jealous that you have an international circuit within comfortable in riding range as well.

Have fun at the races and ride safe homie! And thanks again!!! ✌️

Hey sixappeal, I just stumbled across this post and just want to inform you that I currently have your old bike! The give away all the mods and the Texas sticker on the frame. I've had it for years now and I'm located in the NE. Best bike I've owned.

1000020449.jpg

1000020209.jpg

Back