• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda CRF250L Rally

I did. On my HD, I took off the whole assembly, turned the plate vertically, bent it and fastened it. I did not have a problem for years but like you said, it could be a reason to get pulled over. I had been rolling around the idea of extending the plate down a bit, adding a cross brace and mounting it there.

This weekend's little project was fruitful. The stock tool box on this bike is pretty much worthless and it sticks out too far. I picked up a generic tool tube off Amazon for about $20, removed the stock tool box and was able to install the tube to the factory rear bracket using the factory bolt. I fashioned a strap for the rear mount and used the factory mount as well. I was able to fit my whole tool roll and tire tools in the tube, or it fits my small gas bottle if needed.

I finally hit the 600 mile mark (the break in period per the manual). The manual says to take it easy before that so I did not run the bike over 7k rpm, change the 'break in oil', inspect everything, etc... There are those that believe you should 'run it like you stole it' off the showroom floor, but this time, I elected to follow the manual.

I did all of that Sunday afternoon and the oil that came out of the bike was nasty, nasty. I used the kit from Rocky Mountain ATV that utilizes oem parts and oil and added a magnetic plug. The whole process was all of 30 minutes and most of that was waiting for the last of the nasty oil to drain. According to the manual, I do not have to lay a finger on this dude for 8k miles. Talk about an awesome maintenance interval. I will do the maintenance every 4k miles anyway.

I took it out for a spin and was fairly satisfied with the power overall. The tach runs up to 10.5k rpm, but I had not had it above 7k up to this point. I pegged the tach through the first 3 gears and the little 250 scoots along fairly well. It is pretty funny when you run it up, engine screening, banging through third gear to forth, and look down to see you are going all of 62 mph.

I have determined, at least for me, about 125 miles at once on the CRF is about all that is comfortable. I'll bet 200 miles would be alright if there were extended breaks, but I am no 'iron butt' either.

On another note, I put some time on a two year old KTM 350 EXC-F Sunday. Here is my quick impression.

Goods: Dang that bike is light, like really really light. It handles amazing at slow speed, super nimble and easy to put in a tight place. The power level is strong but not scary (2nd gear throttle wheelies are effortless). I had a KTM 300 EXC 2 stroke some years back and it felt quicker than this 4 stroke, so I am no stranger to power. The throttle response is instant and snappy, which makes it tons of fun. The clutch and gear changes were quick and great, especially downshifts.

Bads: It gets real twitchy at 60mph and above on the pavement. I am not bothered by a light bike hunting around, but this dude keeps you honest at all times, there is no relaxing. The geometry is very aggressive and engine vibs translate to your hands and body. After 15 minutes, I was already feeling a little fatigued in the hands and butt.

Overall, it is an awesome bike for sure but not one I would want to ride for 100 miles on pavement.

That's good info. I wonder about that KTM occassionally.

Could you give more comparison info between the CRF250L and the 350 EXC-F?

Sounds like the KTM is noticeably more powerful, but not as at home on the pavement as the CRF250L? I guess the CRF250L is smoother?

If I could just figure out how to make my electric dirt scooter go 250 miles a day, I wouldn't have to worry about it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's good info. I wonder about that KTM occassionally.

Could you give more comparison info between the CRF250L and the 350 EXC-F?

Sounds like the KTM is noticeably more powerful, but not as at home on the pavement as the CRF250L? I guess the CRF250L is smoother?

If I could just figure out how to make my electric dirt scooter go 250 miles a day, I wouldn't have to worry about it :)

Sure, at least with my limited experience.

Power: KTM has much, much more power and far superior throttle response. The CRF is lethargic in comparison and sluggish, but it gets there eventually. The CRF isn't terrible and plods along pretty good, but isn't in the same league at all.

Geometry: KTM is more aggressive and wants you to stand to feel right, which does feel right in the dirt...just a joy. The CRF is more day to day, friendly, and comfortable but not near as maneuverable. Off-road is no competition. The KTM is nimble, quick and dances around. The CRF feels like a dump truck in comparison but also gets the job done.

Suspension: The CRF Rally's suspension is tall but super soft. I have found it to be quite good for cruising around on easy trails and very comfortable for back roads. If you push it hard, not so much as it just does not handle sharp bumps well (under-damped). The KTM is stiffer but not as stiff as I thought it would be, and is surprisingly comfortable. When you push it a little, it is great, plush, and far exceeds the CRF's by a vast amount.

Vibrations: The CRF is much smoother, especially in the lower rpm's at cursing speeds. The CRF is a joy to ride between 40-60mph. You can almost feel the 350's piston pounding at lower rpm's...it wants to run hard.

Wind protection: I have the Rally so the wind protection is pretty good. The KTM's has none.

Higher speeds (60mph +): The CRF glides smoothly at 60 mph in relative comfort and feels plenty solid, however, anything above 70mph for a 200lb rider and gear and is pretty much WOT. The KTM rockets to 60mph but starts to get dicey above that, dancing around and twitching (I had a brief "Oh Sh*t" moment when it twitched unexpectedly when I actually relaxed for 1 second).

Would I trade up? Not for my current uses.

The KTM is not suited at all for any kind of paved distance, and the maintenance intervals are stringent. Off road, it is a magnificent machine. If I lived in a place where trails were 30 minutes away like Colorado or Utah, the KTM would be the ticket.

Still enjoying the bike?
Im curious too! I like this bike so much in that it's a Honda(inexpensive), Proven tech, I love the rally package looks. However, Everytime I look at one I'm constantly told the bike is just too underpowered, especially for a large rider. Ok, I'm heavy, I get it. I just want a bike that can do things similar to the Eastex 450, Cheeseburger Loop etc....got to be able to pop out of a dirt road and keep up with the group until we get to the next section. 70mph for 10-15 minutes sustainable intervals. Without making my teeth chatter.

Im curious too! I like this bike so much in that it's a Honda(inexpensive), Proven tech, I love the rally package looks. However, Everytime I look at one I'm constantly told the bike is just too underpowered, especially for a large rider. Ok, I'm heavy, I get it. I just want a bike that can do things similar to the Eastex 450, Cheeseburger Loop etc....got to be able to pop out of a dirt road and keep up with the group until we get to the next section. 70mph for 10-15 minutes sustainable intervals. Without making my teeth chatter.
I suggest starting a new thread on what bike best fits your needs. [emoji14]

I had a 2014 CRF250L with a few mods, it was a fun bike. Slow, but fun. I took it up to Arkansas last August on one of MacDaddy/2WheelNut's dirt ride adventures and didn't enjoy riding it as much as my Africa Twin. I think a lot of the reason I didn't like it was stock suspension and inexperience. I sold it pretty quickly once I got back. I bought/sold a couple of more bikes after that and started playing with suspension adjustments and realized how big a difference that could make. Out of all the bikes I've bought and sold, the only one I kept kind of missing was that little 250.

After my quick stint with electric bikes, I got back into the market for a small dual sport. I looked at the KTM's again, but they are all $8500+ before I spend money to upgrade the suspension to my weight. Couple that with having to change the oil on them about every 10 seconds or so. Just too much to spend and do for my purposes.

So I found and test rode a used 2017 CRF250L Rally ABS back in August. It felt kinda like the CRF250L, but better in a few ways I thought. It's a little more substantial feeling which seems to make it feel a bit more planted, which I like. It has more suspension travel as well. It also felt like it had a little more power to it in the midrange, which surprised me a bit. It had most of the accessories I liked on it already and was a decent price with low (880) miles, so I bought it. I rode it for a bit and then had Eurosport Cycle in Ft. Worth install some heavier springs front and back, put the Outex tubeless kit on the rear tire, added some new levers and a gear position indicator to it. I've also added some Double Take mirrors and Wolfman bags to it that I had laying around in the garage.

The suspension changes made a noticeable difference off pavement. Now when I take it down my local dirt roads, it pretty much just floats over everything. No more teeth chatter or dodgy front end. Unlike with my stock suspension CRF250L, I have no concerns about taking this bike down a rough dirt road at 55mph, which is about as fast as I'm interested in doing on a dirt road anymore. I also like how easy it is to turn the rear ABS on/off with it.

I guess with the windscreen and fairings it makes riding on the road a little nicer with the Rally as well as it is fairly smooth at highway speeds. I wanted to see what it would do, so I ran it up and down my farm to market road last week at wide open throttle for miles and miles. Best I could get it to hit on flat ground was 78 mph GPS/81 mph on Speedo with stock air intake and exhaust. If you back it down to 70 mph, it cruises along ok in 6th gear. I think it will be fun in the mountains as well. No carbs to mess with it. Just a low maintenance, low power dirt cruiser.

This is a pic from the day I got it back in August.

This is the bike I wish I’d have gotten over the Versys, but I only say so because my needs have changed.

@Jarrett wait....did you say back in August?🤣🤣🤣 Like a few weeks ago August?

Great info....you've had a couple of bikes so I definitely appreciate your take. 😜

If you don't mind divulging....what weight class do you box in?

So nobody wants to do this? Where's my motorheads at?

CRF250 Rally to CRF500L Rally:

I am enjoying the CRF quote a bit, but it is what it is. It is underpowered if you want to run the interstate but has enough for cruising back roads and gravel. On my last ride, there was a 5 mile or so highway section, I could hold 75mph, but that was about it. I weigh 220lbs and probably had 20lbs of gear. At 60-65mph it glides along no problem. The throttle response is anemic as compared to a 'real' dirt bike.

The bike will run 70mph for hours and not terribly uncomfortably because the Rally's wind protection is pretty good. There is some buzz in the grips above 60 mph because the rpm's are getting in the 9k range.

I suppose I would say this (assuming new prices, and fuel injected only bikes):

If I had $10k+ to spend on a bike, I would not have the Rally (KTM 500EXE, CRF450L, or one of the new KTM smaller displacement Adv bikes coming next year). If I had $7,500 to spend on a bike, I would not have the Rally (WR250R). I had less than $5k and picked the Rally up new for that. For the price, it may be the best deal there is for this type of bike. It shines as a back road and dirt cruiser with enough power to get around comfortably and enough suspension travel to absorb some nasty pot holes. However, there is nothing at all exciting about it.

What attracts you to the WR250R?....I hear it's got a pretty nice suspension, but it has no wind protection and is underpowered as well.

If you don't mind divulging....what weight class do you box in?
280, these days. At my weight, every bike needs a suspension upgrade, so I have to factor that in.

As he said, it's not an exciting bike by any means. I mean, it will go 75mph down a dirt road if you want it to, but I don't. If you like constant wheelies and roosting, this is probably not the bike. If I want excitement, i get on the Speed Triple. If I want to go piddle around in the dirt, it works well for me for that after adding heavier springs.

What attracts you to the WR250R?....I hear it's got a pretty nice suspension, but it has no wind protection and is underpowered as well.

True, but I rode one once, and it just fit me. The engine is smoother, the throttle response better, it is more powerful (a little because you can really ring it out but at lower rpms it was very similar with less vibrations), and its reliability has proven to be exceptional. Maybe it is the rake or geometry, or a combination of everything, but it felt more solid, planted and higher quality in every way than the CRF. I was riding a non-rally '13 CRF250L at the time, and when I got back on CRF, it felt much "cheaper". I sighed and thought..."dang, I probably should have gone with the WR". But, the CRF is much cheaper, haha. Why didn't I go with the WR this time? $2,000

On the other hand, you are right, the Rally's wind protection is far superior.

I just joined the "CRF250L Rally Club" with the purchase of my 2017 Rally. I love this bike and I look forward to many adventures and modding to make it my own.

Attachments

• 20221001_175421.jpg
    20221001_175421.jpg
    614.2 KB · Views: 76
Back