• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda CRF300L and Rally and LS

Reaction score
Already on sale in Thailand! Soon in the US?

Check out the specs:

nc_ohc=J_GyqIzPAzgAX9iC59S&_nc_ht=scontent.fhnl3-1.jpg

Kind of odd the guys writing the adds were impressed enough to make folding footpegs a highlight

Reactions: JMZ
More hp and lighter? Hmm, that could be a nice bike.

The Rally is one of the few bikes I miss from time to time.

Looks like a nice improvement.

More hp and lighter? Hmm, that could be a nice bike.

The Rally is one of the few bikes I miss from time to time.
I could see this or the WR250R being a great bike, it would have to be a 2nd type bike for me at this time and I can't afford that. In the near future it could be my main ride as I age out!

Not gonna lie, kinda want one of these. I really enjoyed my 250 Rally.

Seems like a 300 might be pretty sweet with the suspension upgraded.

9 lbs lighter
10% more hp
18% more torque
13% better power-to-weight ratio
3.38 gallon tank on the Rally meaning 150+ mile range likely

Going by the numbers in that article, that's all a nice bump up. Looking better when comparing torque to weight ratio:
1606925014081.png

If they release the Rally here, I'll might get one.

Would the CRF300L be a good pick for the dirt parks nearby or it being 44 pounds heavier (apparently Google says KTM is 260 wet, CRF300L is 306) than the race ready KTM 350/500 bikes a no go?

I wouldn't say it is a no go, but 40 pounds is 40 pounds. Rolling not much difference, laying on the ground it's definitely noticeable. If you are a competent dirt rider and don't plan on racing just riding and not falling much then it doesn't matter. In the event you are trying do develop skill and push yourself to tougher terrain then you are going to drop the bike so picking it up will be part of the deal.

I was at hidden falls last Friday and my son went down in front of me unexpected and I had to stop on an uphill with no good place to put my foot ended up letting the bike down with the wheels to the uphill side. I'm not a big guy and a 250lb. bike is all I want to wrestle on the side of a hill. Sure you can drag it around and get the wheels on the downhill side and make it easier. There was a guy on KTM 300 2-stroke lighter yet that went over the bars and had the wind knocked out of him and the bike was on his leg and in his position he couldn't get the bike up off his leg. Someone helped him up and he rode back to the parking area but struggled on a couple hill climbs after that just because he was really tiered by the end of the trail.

You need to be realistic about your goals and expectations. When developing dirt skills some folks do great jumping in the deep end with powerful race breed dirt bike while other do well with a more trail oriented bike. Ideally you could get out when a group of folks are out maybe throw a leg over a few bikes to get the feel of power deliver and weight. You don't have to go crazy just ride them around the parking area making some slow tight turns get them pointed straight and hit the throttle in a couple gears. Get off and lay them down and pick them up two or three times.

Would the CRF300L be a good pick for the dirt parks nearby or it being 44 pounds heavier (apparently Google says KTM is 260 wet, CRF300L is 306) than the race ready KTM 350/500 bikes a no go?

No. The suspension is where it will suffer.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

No. The suspension is where it will suffer.

This goes back to realistic goals and expectations. Will the suspension on the CRF300L compare to the KTM 350/500? No. Will it be sufficient to ride around at trail ride pace? Sure.

I was just at my local Honda dealer and he had never heard of a CRF300L.
My buddy went to buy a chevy truck in 1986. He told the dealer he heard they were coming out with fuel injection for 87. Dealer said they never heard of it so he bought an 86. Wasn't too long after that the fuel injected 87's came out. LOL.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

This goes back to realistic goals and expectations. Will the suspension on the CRF300L compare to the KTM 350/500? No. Will it be sufficient to ride around at trail ride pace? Sure.
This is true. the bike will be easy to outgrow if he does take to off-road and begins to develop some skill.

Dirt bike newb input here so take with many grains of salt. So I've had the CRF250L and have ridden the KLX 250 a few times. I also own the Husky FE 450.

There is no doubt that when the trail gets tough, the Husky 450 is the easier bike to ride. Why? I assume because it weighs less, its easier to throw around, easier to recover in real time if things get weird, and it has so much torque and tractor factor that it is hard to stall meaning it kind takes care of you when you goof a bit. All of that makes it easier to do any slightly technical single track with than the CRF250L and KLX 250, imo. When I took the CRF250L to moderate single track, it was just a stall and fall fest. Personally, I feel more confident doing that stuff on the Husky than either of the other two, even though it is a "bigger" bike.

Now if I had a Husky or KTM 250 dirt bike with the suspension dialed in for me would it be even easier? People tell me that is true, I have no idea.

Regarding the suspension, it is kind of a moot point for me. No matter what bike I buy, I gotta do the suspension on it for my size. So if I got a CRF250L, I'd immediately have to dump $1500 into it to make the suspension decent enough for my weight. Had to do the same on the Husky, but it was less since the stock suspension was so good. So I can either spend say $6000 on a CRF250L + $1500 on suspension or $9000 on a KTM/Husky dual sport and spend $800 on suspension. But the CRF250L still has the same motor in it after all that and it won't lug up stuff for you the way the other will.

But the big question is, do you like riding technical single track stuff? I'm not sure I do. I mainly just like riding easy-ish dirt roads and paths through the woods. I have no ambition to tackle Emma Long. That said, I think the CRF250L would probably be just as good as my Husky 450 for that task.

We should meet somewhere that has trails and you can take my 450 off into the woods and see what you think.

But maybe the CRF300L is different. Different motor, different gearing.

It's still a street bike motor pulled from the CB300R versus the dirt bike engines in the KTM/Husky.

But maybe the CRF300L is different. Different motor, different gearing.

It's still a street bike motor pulled from the CB300R versus the dirt bike engines in the KTM/Husky.
And that was the issue with my 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC. Even though it had a decent adventure bike built around the engine, it was essentially a 600 cc street bike motor enlarged to 800cc. First gear was too tall and you had to rev it to make power. There was no torque down low and it was hard to ride over slow rough terrain. I hope this new bike has real dirt bike characteristics.

Back