• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda Transalp 750

Tubes:

1. more unsprung mass
2. more precession (harder to turn)
3. more heat = less stable tire pressure
4. more weight in the fact that 2 different size tubes weigh more than a patch kit and take up much more space
5. more time and effort to repair a flat

That's a lot of mores compared to tubeless.

I'll add in that spoked wheels are usually heavier than cast wheels so points 1 and 2 also apply in an extra amount plus it takes longer to clean the spokes and also keep the spokes properly tensioned and trued. But if you enjoy using up your valuable time, have at it.

If I'm really bombing off-road, I'll take spokes and a Tubliss system and a spare tube. A single UHD 21" front tube can work in a 18" rear (120 wide) or a 17" 130 wide temporarily. A 150 wide for a big adv bike is likely out of the question though.

With a big adv, who is bombing it off-road anyway? More likely brisk on graded or rough hard pack dirt and gravel. More likely crawling at a snails pace for anything with whoops and rocks and drop offs and other hard off-road stuff. All that can be done on cast wheels. Other than for the Suez class gas tank capacity, I think the only reason people go for the Adventure version of a GS is for the look of spokes, not because it's actually better. I find the extra suspension travel of the Adv makes the bike a feel like a hobby horse for 99% of the bike's use. 99% of the time, most people would be happy with a plain GS and cast wheel. Same for any open class adv bike including the smaller advs.

Almost agree. No sane individual rides a 525# dirtbike. Or a 400 pound one. Now r120p+ gsa spoked wheels are stronger than cast yet tubeless. If ya ever needed the difference, you already are in over your head.

And, personally i couldnt care less about spoked vs. Cast on my gsa. Ive owned 3 for about 145k miles and its about weather protection, a killer rear rack, and wind protection for me. A standard gs does not work nearly as well for multiple high mile days. An RT is really the best, but not so good if you get in rocks at the end of the day :-) also, the 2006 -2013 gsas had way better racks than the wc models. Cost savings i guess.

I run tubeless on my bigger Adventure bikes including my S10 (factory tubeless), Africa Twin (taped wheels) and T7 (taped wheels).

I still carry one tube for each wheel when doing off the beaten path travel along with the necessary tools in case something bad happens where I bend a rim that will no longer hold air tubeless. I figure I get the best of both worlds this way.

So you've had good luck sealing and taping your rims? I've thought about that for my VStrom 800de, which also has tubes.

It seems a challenged solution to me. If you are comfortable with it thats good but carrying tubes is a good idea. Id just still want a solid tubeliss solution from the beginning, but none of these solutions are perfect as i have discovered the hard way.

So you've had good luck sealing and taping your rims? I've thought about that for my VStrom 800de, which also has tubes.
Yes I have had good luck with the taped wheels. I have had a couple minor leaks early on after taping them but once sorted they have been great.

Just put the second plug this year in the rear tire on my T7 a couple days ago. Fixed in 5 minutes.

I've been on the hunt for a little while and happened to be in the right place at the right time. I only have about 5 miles on the bike but so far, it is impressive.

Transalp1.jpg

Congratulations on the new wheels. How's the wind protection? Does the helmet still receive a lot of airflow, and (if yes) is is smooth or turbulent? How tall are you?

Congratulations on the new wheels. How's the wind protection? Does the helmet still receive a lot of airflow, and (if yes) is is smooth or turbulent? How tall are you?

I was able to take a 40 mile ride Sunday on the Transalp that was a mix of highway, backcountry paved roads and about 5 miles of dirt road. I am going to make a bold statement here based on owning many bikes and riding for about 30 years (from 2 stroke motocross and enduro., cruisers, dual sports and adv bikes). This is also based on the single 40 mile ride, so maybe too bold. This is my favorite bike I have owned to date, and I think I finally found a keeper.

The ergo's are really good for me (5'-8", 200lbs), but I ordered a set of bar risers that bring the bars up 1 1/2" and back 1". I have short arms and when standing, felt like I needed just a little more rise and pull back. I also like a wide footpeg and will be replacing them, but have not had luck finding them quite yet, or at least someone that has them in stock.

The dash screen is really great and very customizable. I played with it for a good while and so far, really liking it.

The engine is smooth and delivers gobs of power. I did a half throttle roll on in 6th gear from 55 mph and was at 85 mph far quicker that I expected. Coming from a "Stage 1" modified DR650, the Transalp is far, far more powerful and much smoother. On my ride, it indicated just under 50 mpg average. The throttle is a little snatchy, but I got used to it, and it has four or five modes including a user defined one. I programed it for full power, minimum engine braking, traction control and ABS to start. You do have the option to turn off the traction control and ABS completely.

The suspension has adjustable pre-load front and rear. I turn them all the way to soft, adjust the forks 4 turns (of about 15 total I think) and the rear spring 1 turn (of maybe 6 or so). I think I like where the forks are for now, but will go 1-2 clicks stiffer on the rear spring. Overall, the suspension feels great, but other than pot holes I hit on purposed on bad roads, I don't have enough dirt time yet. On road, it is great.

The transmission and quick shift are snappy, light and solid...really like it. I have never had quick shift and already starting to dig it.

The wind protection is better than I expected. The wind hits the top 1" of my helmet and maybe 2" on the side of my body. There is no buffeting. Consider I am not tall so if you are, I would recommend the taller windscreen or an extension. Overall though, it creates a nice air pocket.

The Metzler tires worked quite well in all conditions. I was surprised at how well they did on the gravel and dirt roads. The bike was more stable that I expected in the dirt and the front did not try and wash out. As an example, the Transalp felt more stable at 35 mph in the dirt than both my DR and XR with dual sport tires.

The brakes are really strong and solid...generations better than the DR's.

With regards to weight, seeing that my DR650 I had gotten down to about 350 lbs with bags and my XR150 is pretty light, the weight of the Transalp was on my mind. When parking or slow maneuvering, I could feel its weight and part of that might be because I am tiptoed on both sides, but as soon as I got moving at any speed, the bike felt lighter and more nimble than I expected. Once I learned to "throw the weight" a little, I was rewarded with handling that was sure, flickable and stable. I had to reach back to my cruiser days and use the bar pushing technique a little more and was rewarded with precise and quick handling. It is a fun bike to lean into.

transalp2.jpg

transalp3.jpg

Wow, excellent info and very promising. Thanks for taking the time to write down all those thoughts. It's very helpful for gauging my continued interest.

I'm 6'2" so the air flow might still be a concern for me. I'm making this a huge priority for future rides, as even with heavy earplugs, I'm wary of harming my hearing further.

Would you say the Transalp felt top heavy at all?

Would you say the Transalp felt top heavy at all?

It did a little when maneuvering it around in my driveway and garage, but when riding, not at all. Granted, I have not taken it on any single track or "real" off-road yet. I am at the tips of my toes. You being over 6' should make it easy.

I got to take my friend's Transalp around the block Saturday. Just in the neighborhood under 35mph, but it seemed pretty nice. Smaller, lighter feeling, and less top heavy than my Africa Twin. Power was familiar and good, if not quite as strong. I found the ergos a little cramped, mostly due to the seat shape. A nice bike overall, but I'll be keeping my Twin.

I have been following his channel for a year or so. I like it when he gets a brand new bike and pushes it over to see what damage happens, haha. He must have special connections because the bike specific parts he is installing and reviewing are not available to buy for peons like me. I have emails and messages out to half a dozen companies for crash bars, skid plate and hand guards.

1st world problems, lol.

I have been following his channel for a year or so. I like it when he gets a brand new bike and pushes it over to see what damage happens, haha. He must have special connections because the bike specific parts he is installing and reviewing are not available to buy for peons like me. I have emails and messages out to half a dozen companies for crash bars, skid plate and hand guards.

1st world problems, lol.
Oh yeah he’s got the inside track and has affiliate links for the products in his videos. If you buy using the links he gets commission.

That‘s not to say that I don’t appreciate his videos. His positive review of the 800de nudged me in a direction I was already leaning.

I got to take my friend's Transalp around the block Saturday. Just in the neighborhood under 35mph, but it seemed pretty nice. Smaller, lighter feeling, and less top heavy than my Africa Twin. Power was familiar and good, if not quite as strong. I found the ergos a little cramped, mostly due to the seat shape. A nice bike overall, but I'll be keeping my Twin.

I am reading that Africa Twin footpegs are close enough. With a little 'persuasion', they will work for the Transalp. I have contacted several of the usual vendors and no dice yet. I might give this a shot because the stock pegs, as they always are, are not wide or long enough to spend anytime standing on them. I have a set of pegs for a DR650 and universal fit on my XR150 I will experiment with this weekend. In this world, as you know, if it is 'bike specific' it cost $200 but if it is 'generic fit' off Amazon, its $35. Maybe if Mr. Wolfen gets board this weekend, he can test fit a peg from his AT to his friend's Transalp..cough cough...nudge nudge...

My bar risers should be in tomorrow and I will throw those on. I will also be running a iPhone charging cable from under the seat to the handlebars where I have already installed a Quadlock.

Also, I removed the spark arrestor and painted the muffler. The bike is slightly louder but sounds much deeper and meaner, but not quite loud enough. I see that the baffle downstream of the catalytic converter can be "modified" with a hole saw as well...hmmmm... It might be worth it for weight savings and sound to replace the silencer all together, but parts for this bike are pricey.

transalp5.jpg

Last edited:
I am reading that Africa Twin footpegs are close enough. With a little 'persuasion', they will work for the Transalp. I have contacted several of the usual vendors and no dice yet. I might give this a shot because the stock pegs, as they always are, are not wide or long enough to spend anytime standing on them. I have a set of pegs for a DR650 and universal fit on my XR150 I will experiment with this weekend. In this world, as you know, if it is 'bike specific' it cost $200 but if it is 'generic fit' off Amazon, its $35. Maybe if Mr. Wolfen gets board this weekend, he can test fit a peg from his AT to his friend's Transalp..cough cough...nudge nudge...

My bar risers should be in tomorrow and I will throw those on. I will also be running a iPhone charging cable from under the seat to the handlebars where I have already installed a Quadlock.

Also, I removed the spark arrestor and pained the muffler. The bike is slightly louder but sounds much deeper and meaner, but not quite loud enough. I see that the baffle downstream of the catalytic converter can be "modified" with a hole saw as well...hmmmm... It might be worth it for weight savings and sound to replace the silencer all together, but parts for this bike are pricey.

View attachment 369132

Do your research on the Africa Twin pegs. They changed the peg mounts between the '16-'17 models and the '18-'19 models. I don't know about '20+, but it was a pretty big revision of the bike.

A fit the exhaust and sounds well just have to disagree. It sounds very much like my Twin. I honestly wouldn't mind them being a little quieter.

Ask about peg lowers (I ordered mine first thing for the 17' weestrom). Then go ahead and put your order in😉. Sounds like perfect, do all bike, and of course, it's a Honda.

どういたしまして (Doitashimashite).

View attachment 369131

Hey Brian, definitely lower pegs might help with comfort, though it doesn't lower the seat relative to the windscreen.

Word of caution on aftermarket peg lowering. I put the cheaper of 2 options on my CB500X. They came with a warning about their limited capacity. That warning was well-founded, as one of them broke on me during a ride. I was not hurt, but certainly could have been. I saved by going cheap ($70?) vs the only other option at over $250, which would have been far safer.

Hey Brian, definitely lower pegs might help with comfort, though it doesn't lower the seat relative to the windscreen.

Word of caution on aftermarket peg lowering. I put the cheaper of 2 options on my CB500X. They came with a warning about their limited capacity. That warning was well-founded, as one of them broke on me during a ride. I was not hurt, but certainly could have been. I saved by going cheap ($70?) vs the only other option at over $250, which would have been far safer.
Good copy. Mine were brackets that lowered 3/4" I think. Have had good experience with them. I still need to put more miles on my strom (currently 26k). Can't justify hauling off and dropping another 10K on a bike. Maybe I'll replace it in another 5 years. $10K every 10 years 😂😭
chrome_screenshot_Nov 23, 2023 11_29_22 AM CST.png

Price as Configured:$11,716.97​

*Yamaha bears no responsibility for mental anguish caused by the 2024 Tenere 700 toward tightwads.

Attachments

• chrome_screenshot_Nov 23, 2023 11_29_22 AM CST.png
    chrome_screenshot_Nov 23, 2023 11_29_22 AM CST.png
    919.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
@Mr. Clortho give us a first impression of the main differences between the DR650 you just modified and the Honda. Any overlap? Is the Honda going to be more street only?

@Mr. Clortho give us a first impression of the main differences between the DR650 you just modified and the Honda. Any overlap? Is the Honda going to be more street only?

I'll try and break it down into categories....

Engine: Transalp is much more powerful and smooth. Both will cruise at 80 mph but it is a different experience.

Transmission: Transalp's shifts are more crisp and the quickshift is great and is has a 6th gear..whoohoo

Suspension: On road the Transalp is smoother, on maintained dirt roads it is also smoother and more stable than the DR, but haven't had it on anything rough. Transalp preload is adjustable front and rear. I hit some good pot holes in the Transalp and it absorbed them smoother than the stock DR did. The DR's forks were not terrible but the rear shock isn't great at all, so I think the Transalp wins on both ends. I ordered a 1" lowering dogbone for the rear yesterday as I almost went down in the driveway twice. At 5'-7", I am tiptoed on both sides. I love the ergo's so would rather this route than a lowered seat for now. There is no height adjustment on the Transalp like the DR had on the rear shock...bummer.

Ergonomics: Transalp is much more comfortable and the wind protection is obviously much better. I added bar risers to the Transalp because I am not a big guy (1.5" rise, 1" back). After 50 miles on the DR, I had to take a break. 50 miles on the Transalp is much more comfortable.

Handling on road: No contest here. The Transalp handles almost like a sport bike and the DR feels like a dirt bike. The Transalp feels heavy when manually pushing it around, but as soon as you get to 5mph, it feels light and flickable...the DR is not. I sometimes ride a Ninja 400 and the Transalp feels more similar to the Ninja than the DR by far.

I plan on the Honda being more for street and dirt roads, but not much single track if any...so more of an ADV than a dual sport. I have a lightly modified XR150L for single track/dual sport.

Back