• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How can I safely approach getting on the road?

My history comes from the dirt a long time ago. When I made the move to get back into what I do now, street and highway, after getting my bike, I took it to a big church parking lot on weekday evening. Find one of those big ones. Huge areas, with several streets built into it, nobody around. And just practice. Go round and round one direction for awhile, then change and go the other. Go down isles, imagining there are cars all over the place, and practice some maneuvers to quickly get around one. You can use painted lines to create your own course. You can take some small boxes and set them around places. Imagine one as a pothole you need to steer around. Imagine another as something else. Pick lightweight enough boxes that if you ruin over them it won't matter. Put a rock in them if they tend to blow away. We also have a large baseball park with several roads and speed bumps built into it. I would go there on days that nobody was around and just use the park roads as regular streets and practice riding all around them.

I would like to suggest another option rather than getting an SV650. Maybe for the same budget you could get a newer, smaller displacement motorcycle, with ABS standard.
Well, that's what debate is all about - supporting differing opinions. I think on SV650 would be an excellent 1st bike choice. The higher hp of it vs the smaller bikes is 100% under rider control, and that bike is a pussycat until it's wound up, and then it isn't overpowering (I had one for my son for a few years - what he learned on). And as the OP said, they are a great value.

We have strong differing opinions regarding safety tech, and likely neither will change. It's up to other people to do their own evaluation and make a choice. That's what living in a free country and having choices is all about. I would describe it as a "champagne problem". There are many other places on earth where such choices are not available.

@Average(Wes) - when you get your bike, might I suggest you invest in a set of low-profile cones and head to an empty parking lot?

I spent 50 years in the dirt and started on the street just 2 1/2 years ago. A weekend working the cones did wonders to curb some of my 'dirty habits' and let me try some stuff I could never try on the street ( picture "hey, that's nuthin' --- hold my beer and watch this")

Having an experienced street-riding friend to spend some quality cone-time could be a real benefit, too.

Then go ride with the likes of @Boulder Ed or @William Wolfen ... :rider:

Last edited:
Tennis balls cut in half work great.
Hi-vis and the bike doesn't even feel it if they get run over.
I was lazy and bought these Cones

1708974286488.png

Here's another suggestion...dont' overthink it. Don't let riding and pother people fears let you get too worked up to ride. Don't take advice from people who have never ridden, as they have no idea what it really takes. get out and enjoy things. Throw the phone in a bag and dont' think about it till your at the next destination.

Bike choice aside...

I have been riding since I was 10 years old from enduro, to motocross, to street. Street is where the real danger is, but learning to train your muscle memory off-road will save your bacon many time before you realize it. You develop an 'instint' of sorts.

My advice for street riding:
Think of every vehicle on the road as if it is trying to kill you. Never trust them, never ride beside them and never get in their blind spot. Always be predictable and leave yourself a way out if someone doesn't see you. When stopping at a light, position the bike so you can either squirt between cars or next to them and keep you eyes on your mirrors for someone trying to squash you from behind. Never trust they will stop at a stop sign or a red light.

After a while, this becomes natural and muscle memory takes over.

Well, that's what debate is all about - supporting differing opinions. I think on SV650 would be an excellent 1st bike choice. The higher hp of it vs the smaller bikes is 100% under rider control, and that bike is a pussycat until it's wound up, and then it isn't overpowering (I had one for my son for a few years - what he learned on). And as the OP said, they are a great value.

We have strong differing opinions regarding safety tech, and likely neither will change. It's up to other people to do their own evaluation and make a choice. That's what living in a free country and having choices is all about. I would describe it as a "champagne problem". There are many other places on earth where such choices are not available.
Life is about mitigating risk. Just getting out of bed in the morning is a risk. Each person has a responsiblity for themselves and their families to decide what level of risk is acceptable to them and come to terms with the potential consequences. I would caution anyone to refrain from making a decision without understanding the possible outcomes of said decision. But when you reach a decision you are comfortable with, accepting the level of risk associated with that decision, ride on.

Think of every vehicle on the road as if it is trying to kill you

This is actually very good advice for everyone. I should have said this too. I told both my boys this teaching them to drive, although I told them as Think of every vehicle on the road as if it is about to do something stupid. They aren't actually trying to kill you, but they don't pay attention, and a lot of them seem to have to be first and will do what it takes to be first. To me, riding has made me be more aware while driving.

It is not that other people are TRYING to kill you, although I have had several occasions where people looked right at me and made eye contact before they started trying to squeeze me off the road into a ditch, but that is exceptionally rare. What is FAR more common is that people will look right at you and NOT mentally see you. I know that sounds crazy, but it is true and there have been a lot of studies done on it. Sure, the light bouncing off of you enters their eyes and in this sense they physically see you, but mentally they do not see you. The best theory I have seen that explains this is that we are hardwired to prioritize what we see mentally in terms of threats. People rarely fail to see 18 wheelers or big dump trucks that they know will crush them. These are obvious threats. On the other hand, motorcycles are smaller and are not perceived as being as much of a threat, even though being t-boned by a fast moving bike can destroy a car. Years ago there was a study done where they made bikes/riders look like they were police bikes, black/white colors on the bike (no lights), and typical looking cop boots/helmet/shirt (Think CHiPs :-P). People DID see these bikes, not because the bikes were necessarily a physical threat, but because they thought they were actually police, a legal threat! They also said that wearing the bright colors really didn't make much difference regarding threat perception. Obviously, people have to be able to physically pick a bike out from among all the background details within their view before they can even decide if there is something to worry about at all, but even if they can do this because of bright colors, the bikes still aren't necessarily seen as threats. Also, even if they DO mentally see the bike as a potential threat, many people have a hard time judging the approach speed of bikes and how much time they have to do something before the bike arrives. Here is where the extra lights come into play. Having more than one light and even a short distance between them makes it much easier for people to judge approach speed. This is why train engines have the triangular pattern of lights on the front of them. Having two small but bright lights down on the forks of the bike, forming a similar triangle, helps people in the same way.

@Tourmeister-people moved out of the way when I was on my blk or why Burgman 650. I guess they see what they wanna see?

The triangle is lights thing is real. When I added the aux lights to my Africa Twin I noticed an immediate improvement in cars noticing me and not pulling out in front of me. It's not a perfect remedy but it does help. I also have the fringe benefit of being able to turn in the sun when on a dark and unpopulated road.

Has the OP replied back yet? Maybe the OP is a bot? Perhaps this should be an - ask an AI a question and see what the answer is?

2 bits of advice. first take a riding course if you have not. its more than worth the money. second find a mentor. I have a friend that I ride with since her start. Now after 5+ years riding together we probably have 100,000 miles together. Yesterday, she handled a front tire blow out on FM 149 north of Richards at 70 mph like a champ. I"m very proud of her. She has proven herself to be a superior rider.

2 bits of advice. first take a riding course if you have not. its more than worth the money. second find a mentor. I have a friend that I ride with since her start. Now after 5+ years riding together we probably have 100,000 miles together. Yesterday, she handled a front tire blow out on FM 149 north of Richards at 70 mph like a champ. I"m very proud of her. She has proven herself to be a superior rider.
What bikes were you riding? I was stopped on the side of the road talking with another rider when a pair of KTM 790/890s went by and I think the second rider was a lady. At that time we were Northwest of Montgomery on FM 1097 where Bailey Grove and Johnson roads meet.

On sunday she was on a gray BMW R1200 RS and I was on red goldwing. We sometimes go on 1097 but weren't on it on Sunday. Here's a bit more detail about the incident. On FM 149 between Anderson and Richards they are doing some utility work -- cutting 2' strips out of the asphalt and then temporarily filling with gravel. We went over a number of these traveling south on 149 without a problem until we got to the last one near FM 2562. That one was deep. She was in front on the inside track and I was following closely behind on the outside. She hit the outer edge hard and it dented and ruined her front rim. That caused an immediate deflation -- essentially a blowout at 70 mph. I went through it just fine. As soon as it happened her bike got wobbly and pulled her into the north bound lane but she was able to gently slow the bike down and get it back on the right and then we pulled over on the side of FM 149. We got really lucky no one was coming the other way at the time. The key though is she didn't panic, didn't make any sudden movements and kept the bike under control. This could have gone really bad and I do wonder how many other riders would have handled it as well as she did. She proved herself to be a superior rider in my opinion. I don't know if I would have done as well. When we talked to the tow company they asked "what's going on out there? We are getting lots of calls for motorcycles out there." There were at least 5 other bikes that got taken out by that hole. I think we got it the worst though cuz we didn't make it a couple hundred yards before stopping and the other bikes made it a mile or 2 down the road. And to boot, this is gonna cost about $2000 to fix.

On sunday she was on a gray BMW R1200 RS and I was on red goldwing. We sometimes go on 1097 but weren't on it on Sunday. Here's a bit more detail about the incident. On FM 149 between Anderson and Richards they are doing some utility work -- cutting 2' strips out of the asphalt and then temporarily filling with gravel. We went over a number of these traveling south on 149 without a problem until we got to the last one near FM 2562. That one was deep. She was in front on the inside track and I was following closely behind on the outside. She hit the outer edge hard and it dented and ruined her front rim. That caused an immediate deflation -- essentially a blowout at 70 mph. I went through it just fine. As soon as it happened her bike got wobbly and pulled her into the north bound lane but she was able to gently slow the bike down and get it back on the right and then we pulled over on the side of FM 149. We got really lucky no one was coming the other way at the time. The key though is she didn't panic, didn't make any sudden movements and kept the bike under control. This could have gone really bad and I do wonder how many other riders would have handled it as well as she did. She proved herself to be a superior rider in my opinion. I don't know if I would have done as well. When we talked to the tow company they asked "what's going on out there? We are getting lots of calls for motorcycles out there." There were at least 5 other bikes that got taken out by that hole. I think we got it the worst though cuz we didn't make it a couple hundred yards before stopping and the other bikes made it a mile or 2 down the road. And to boot, this is gonna cost about $2000 to fix.
File a claim with the insurance, or get in contact with the county, road construction companies have insurance policies on them just for these type of things.
The roads are supposed to still be safe to use for all motorists as a part of the contract.
How successful will it be, no idea, but won't hurt to try. Go get some pics of the roadway if you can.

thanks for the suggestion. We thought about filing on her insurance but she only has liability so that wouldn't work. Didn't think about going after the construction companies.

Don't panic or make sudden moves whether steering or braking. Same thing applies to autos. :thumb: :thumb:

I called grimes county but since it’s an FM road it’s a TX DOT issue. They gave me the number to call at TX DOT. I called Tx DOT they pointed me to the contractor. Tx dot also said they got called by grimes county sheriff and had a crew go out Sunday afternoon to fix (after we hit it obviously). I called the contractor. Of course they are gonna try to disavow responsibility. We’ll see. Might have to take them to small claims court. If anyone else on this forum was impacted by their negligence please speak up.

By far the best way is to play in the dirt untill the motorcycle and you become one before ever venturing onto the road , and then a country road till you are comfortable with traffic . Everybody on the road in the city is trying to kill you .
Repetition , lots of practice. Also, being confident on the street and not being intimidated goes a long way in protecting yourself. Stay out of cagers blind spots. Left hand turners WILL kill you. Always have an escape. SEE the future (Seek Evaluate Execute).

MANY years of advice here on this forum. CAGIVA just about sums it all up!

Last edited:
Back