• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How do you do it? Lots to pack

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
McAfee
Me and a buddy are planning to ride part of the NMBDR in June. (he's ridden the first half.) We plan to take a long week and maybe let the wind take us a bit off course and camp each night.
My question is for motorcycle campers. Downloading the recommended packing list, just how in the heck do you carry all the recommended stuff? Motor oil, chain lube, spare tubes, etc...do you even bother with an ice chest to enjoy a steak or two along the way? Thanks for the advice. Oh and I am planning a bit of dry run at the Hill Country Hangout.

Attachments

• Mac's Himi.jpg
    Mac's Himi.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 144
I've never carried motor oil or chain lube. Chain lube I could see, but motor oil can be purchased pretty much anywhere. Spare tubes, an air compressor, and needed tools already live in my bike at all tubes, so that's not an addition. Basically that just leaves camping gear and clothes. Use the backpacking mentality due packing: if you don't absolutely have to have it, it's not worth carrying. You'd be surprised how long you can go on very little kit. As for steaks, they'll survive an hour or 2 without cooling to get from the store to your campsite. Same with pretty much anything else perishable, just don't waste any time getting it cooked once you arrive.

Everyone will have their own ideas about what to take on an excursion like you are planning. My ideas changed dramatically from my first adventure trip in 2017 until now. I have ridden to Alaska and back, done the NM, CO, UT BDRS and the majority of the Continental Divide. My advice is to take as little as possible. Weight is your enemy on many BDR sections. I quit packing cooking gear and food. Just take some energy snacks and drinks; you can get a steak in town when you get fuel. One change of base layer clothes for under your riding gear, wash a set at night and put your clean set on. Minimum of 1 gallon of extra gas. Limit your tools to bare minimum and don’t duplicate what your partner is packing. Tubes are heavy and I’ve never needed one. Don’t forget a tow strap. Service your bike before you leave. You shouldn’t need to pack oil. Every trip you take will help you decide what is really necessary. Met one guy who had a kayak strapped to his KLR; to each his own.

What I carry on a solo dual sport ride, not including riding gear. The last time I weighed my gear, it weighed 67 pounds including the luggage (think backpacking gear). The items in red would be eliminated or reduced if I were going on a BDR type ride. The green items would be added for a BDR ride.

Two person tent with ground cloth, change to 1 person tent or just a tent fly
sleeping bag
air pad
3 tee shirts, undies and socks
Rain suit
swim suit/hiking shorts/what to wear while I wash clothes
Hoodie for extra warmth when sleeping high on a mountain
Camelbak with room for a lunch and snack
camera and extra lens
tool kit
food for two days-I premix packets of oatmeal, sugar, powdered milk and strawberries. Tuna kits or similar, crackers, Tillamook cheddar cheese. Breakfast bars
stove and fu
el, 2 water bottles, pan and utensils
jump starter/phone charger/computer charger
Lap top computer

Butler state map for each state I'm going to travel through
GPS for when I get lost and need gas soon
spare gloves (mittens for warmth)
spare glasses
tube and spark plug, Patch kit
tool kit
electric vest
toiletries-reduce to TP and toothbrush
various charging cords for phone, computer, jump starter and GPS as needed

For tubes, carry a single 21" which can be forced onto the rear if needed plus a patch kit. I actually run Tubliss system and carry the 21" as a backup to the Slime & plugs if I'm really remote like Mexico, pump is the Tubeliss brand manual which works surprisingly well. Chain oil & motor oil - nah, you can buy them or decent equivalents anywhere they sell gas. No bike is going to object to a little car 10W-40 if it has to.

Off bike clothing; obviously weather dependent but a single quick-dry button down and a Merino T is all you need up top. Sandals which fold down flat like Keens, Merino socks (can you tell I love Merino) depending on the weather. If the weather is warm a lot of the lightweight backpackers use running shorts with the bike-short type liner as the bottoms - https://www.newbalance.com/pd/r.w.tech-7-inch-2-in-1-short/MS21150.html. Undies are Patagonia capiline which fold down to nothing and dry in minutes. Quality clothing isn't cheap but being comfortable & clean is priceless.

Toiletries - Dr. Bronners liquid soap in a small tube, does for everything except tooth brushing. Also makes a good tire lube in an emergency!

Stove - Tangia system, slightly bulky but super-light and runs on any liquid fuel.

Jump Starter/Power Bank - agree with humanrace, I carry the MicroStart Sport which packs a lot of power in a very small space

Tools; the 1M$ question - the Husqvarna tool kit that came with my bike is surprisingly useful plus compact & light, don't dismiss what you have already. When maintaining the bike at home I will often try & use my travel kit & it's surprising what you don't need as much as what you do.

Navigation & Computer - Garmin Montana on the bars, backup, offline maps downloaded to my phone plus a paper map and a compass for a serious extraction. Garmin InReach transponder for emergencies mounted to. I have a 13" MacBook Pro I carry for checking in for work, navigation and the like, it's a little bulky but one of the really sturdy 2015-era models so I hang onto to it. If you don't need Basecamp and since you can buy perfectly acceptable Android tablet for $150 that would be a good way to go too, might have to consider that myself.

Camera - I use my phone (Google Pixel 6) which is capable of stunning results which upload automatically to the cloud when I get WiFi. My compact Leica perhaps has marginally better color rendition but not enough to justify carrying it.

Food - if you like seafood I'll add a recommendation for the Patagonia seafood tins & packs, they're delicious and nutritious rich plus packaged to travel. Add them to veggies, salad, boiled rice or... Camelback is a must, as above not just water but a snack bar for lunch.

Your bike looks great, I'm jelly of your trip. Remember, if you decide you've over packed you're a post office away from lightening the load.

Yes spare glasses I carry. Eand I need a spare key.how would I get key copy for 2005 Honda XR650l ?
Yes to the glasses! I only need readers but broke a pair once in Baja, what a **** that was.

I leave my key permanently tied to the bike with a luggage tie, not so theft secure but if I'm concerned I can always undo it. I always carry the ignition eliminator plug for my bike which allows you to run it with the ignition switch broken or the key gone.

Tools; the 1M$ question - the Husqvarna tool kit that came with my bike is surprisingly useful plus compact & light, don't dismiss what you have already. When maintaining the bike at home I will often try & use my travel kit & it's surprising what you don't need as much as what you do.
Try using that kit before you need to depend on it. I found out that the tools in my Yamaha kit were made of butter.

Gonna locate and post our packing list. Developed over 30 years, it is really well tested... Well its in a word pad format and it won't post. I'll need to work on this one.

Last edited:
When I ride the 1090 I carry extra stuff like engine oil. I can say every BDR I have done with a group, someone ends up needing oil, so it has been very useful to carry. I wouldn't bother on a smaller bike do to weight / space limits. The other little thing is a fork seal cleaner, just the little scraper. Always gets used by someone with a weepy fork seal.

By the way, the NMBDR is a blast...

About to do the NM BDR and I want to sleep in a hammock, so need trees 15 to 20 feet apart bigger than 8 inches. How many campsites don't have trees that I could use a hammock on?

I get that this is probably a hard question to answer and depends on where you choose to camp. I plan on taking a 2.5 lbs. one person tarp tent as a backup. Looking for maybe a percentage answer. Is in 90%, 60%, or 30%?

About to do the NM BDR and I want to sleep in a hammock, so need trees 15 to 20 feet apart bigger than 8 inches. How many campsites don't have trees that I could use a hammock on?

I get that this is probably a hard question to answer and depends on where you choose to camp. I plan on taking a 2.5 lbs. one person tarp tent as a backup. Looking for maybe a percentage answer. Is in 90%, 60%, or 30%?

New Mexico, lots of high mesa

NMBR on Google Maps with satellite imagery - https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit?mid=1kWzrRzDAoj2jP6DehdPAL7ksfKGlTW81&usp=sharing

Everybody seems to be giving you good info, backpacking style is probably number 1. Go to REI and dream.....then go on line and shop for similar off brands. I am still learning but enjoy these kinds of topics as I improve my setup every year. I will be at the Kerrville Serv yourself rally if you want to talk more in person. Some things I have learned that work for me that cut down drastically on weight or bulk are below.

Food--I don't carry a stove. Riding BDR and harder type stuff....it is not about luxurious eating at camp for me, it is about riding!! I carry a rudimentary cooking tool called an adjustafork (pic below) and a metal cup to heat on the fire. The week before my trips, I call the various National Forests or BLM I am traveling through to find out about burn bans and plan accordingly....and eat in town if there is ban where I am headed for the night or buy a cold sandwich to carry. Meat--on these big rides out of state, I bring my first steak with me, frozen. Throw it in the freezer wherever I am that first night at a motel or KOA leaving my truck for the week. Next day, the steak will easily hold all day for that first night camping off the bike. After that, I only buy a steak when hitting that last town prior to camping. It will hold for hours in your backpack, packed close to your 3L bladder.....that I always put ice in at every stop (this is your ice chest!!). I also like doing tortilla wraps with hot dogs or precooked bratts, they can last for hours in a backpack under same condition, really all day. And you can eat cold/or in foil next to your engine if you can't have a fire. A couple pieces of foil is handy and doesn't take up much room. Breakfast, I just do a dry bar, sometimes I will buy two gas station sandwiches the day before....or if getting fancy a gas station wrap!! Lunch, jerky/trail mix or gas station sandwich, occasionally a hot meal if passing through a town and place looks cool. Only carry enough snacks with you for a day or two, replenish when you hit a town. MREs and Town House meals take up a lot of room along with stoves....and I can eat a gas station sandwich for much cheaper.....and lighter.....and faster. I carry a couple catchup sized Gu Energy packs for emergencies or really hot days, game changer, I like the strawberry banana ones. Remember, pretty much all BDRs....you can replenish anything you need every 24 hours along the way when you get fuel for the bike. And I got in the habit of snagging some hot sauce and mustard pacs that are free at every gas station, works in tortillas with just about anything. I bring a zip lock baggy of dry rub seasoning as well, takes up no room and store with my couple pieces of foil.

1649103782869.png

Clothes, I am to the point I don't carry much at all, the stuff on my back, one short sleeve shirt/shorts with flops for off the bike. Two spare underwear/socks. I tried wearing two pair of underwear, but that was going too far....or was it? You can wash your clothes when you get to camp/motel, even if just in an empty ice bag. I carry baby liquid detergent for this. Jackets/Coats--I bring a fox rain jacket, the rest is layer stuff. I don't want to make room for bulky cold weather jackets, not used enough on these trips for me. Sometimes I am cold the first hour or two of riding in high elevations in the 30s or 40s, just pick a harder trail and warm up :-). I would rather be light/tight 80-90 % of the day than warm and cozy for the first hour or two with a bulky bike all day. Hand harmers are also one of my tricks. If my feet and hands aren't cold, I tell the rest of my wimpy body to shut up. That and ride slower the first hour or two to lower the wind chill.

Tools/Tubes, yes you have to have them. If you are 21/18, you can carry one thin 21 and get by as was said. Most of my flats, patches have worked just fine. Tools, work on your bike at home to get this tool kit slimmed down with only essentials. I have a Nelson Rigg small tool roll and one bag I call the McGyver bag that is a bank cash bag with odds and ends like electrical connectors, spare bolts/nuts, spark plug. Spare levers and foot shifter are stuffed into my air box. I quit carrying chain lube. That can be a rabbit hole, but for the most part your chain is fine on the parts that matter....the part you see, get a baby wd40 if it makes you happy or half way on trip, buy one, use it, throw it away. Spare oil, I carried it on the 701 cause it would burn a little. My other two bikes, Africa Twin and 500, they don't use any. So a quart is crazy big. I went to refilling a two stroke oil baby container just to have a smig. I carry JB weld in case a case gets a hole.....and hope you find it quick! I would get the best skid plate with side protection as well. Buying oil at a gas station would cover most situations. I zip tie a leatherman style multi tool to my front forks, good place to store it and quick access.

Camping--separate your tent into different bags, helps reduce bulk. Put your sleeping bag up high on the very back, keeps all your heavy stuff down low/further forward. Sleeping pad, Klymit Static V is good compromise on comfort/packing size. Chair, I quit bothering. Too many times there was make shift chair possibilities, a picnic table....or I didn't want to mess with putting it together and carried it for nothing. Do a couple baby trips. Anything you didn't use, put it in a pile and really think about its need (non-tool stuff). Here is a pic of my first BDR packing setup (too much stuff), and a pic of my most recent BDR setup after learning/culling to get light. Both bikes were packed for a week's worth. I like stashing stuff all around the bike vs. just rear bags and big top bag and tank bag. Part of my tent is on the handlebars. I put some of my light weight clothes in a Biltwell bag above my headlight. I run 18" tires front/rear, so I have one spare thin 18" tube in the front fender bag along with two tire irons, hand pump, parachute cord and multi tool screw driver. I won't ride with too much bulk around me/behind me anymore. Best way to get there, buy a small bag setup, then you have to cull. I did things the opposite when I started out, bought bags that would carry all the crap I thought I had to have. You can listen to advise here and implement some stuff but you will only get there by doing and customizing for your needs. Have fun brother!!!

1649103653988.png

1649103591591.png

Last edited:
Your first picture looks reasonable. I can't imagine the second one. I had similar side bags in my DR650 and the contained nothing but tools and tubes. I couldn't live out of what's left after that.

Lots of great advice on this thread. I would like to add that you can bring your old T-shirts, underwear, and or socks with you. After wearing use them to clean bike then throw away. Old work shirts or garage sales/Goodwills are easy places other than the dresser to find the throw aways.
This gives you room for souvenirs on the way home.:deal:

In all my long trips over the years I have evolved to be able to travel pretty light and carry what I need. All light back packing stuff. I don't like to skimp on sleeping so I have a Nemo XL nomad sleeping pad and a Nemo inflatable pillow. The pad really isn't that big but there are several smaller options. The Nemo pad inflates to 6" and is super comfy.

You asked about a cooler. I bought an Icemule years ago and love it. Rolls up tight and straps to the top of my rear bag till its needed. Usually a stop toward the end of the day to get meat for the grill / groceries and some beers, and of course, some ice. Pack it up then strap it down with the Rok Straps and go find a spot to camp,.

Your first picture looks reasonable. I can't imagine the second one. I had similar side bags in my DR650 and the contained nothing but tools and tubes. I couldn't live out of what's left after that.
Just trying to give some ideas. Everyone will have different levels of comfort in different areas that they are willing, or not willing, to give up. I’ve also learned there is different chapters in each of our lives and we strive for different riding and hence the focus. For some, camp life is the focus, it’s trade offs. Luckily it’s all fun!!

IMO keep the bulky items limited to your sleep system.

If you are not sleeping well, you will not enjoy the trip.

even a tiny cheap stove will boil water for coffee, camp food, etc.

@Kyle Mac 78 , are you guys still doing your trip? Or did you get smoked out?
I had to cancel a trip to the north end of the NMBDR about 3 weeks ago. Just curious.

Everybody seems to be giving you good info, backpacking style is probably number 1. Go to REI and dream.....then go on line and shop for similar off brands. I am still learning but enjoy these kinds of topics as I improve my setup every year. I will be at the Kerrville Serv yourself rally if you want to talk more in person. Some things I have learned that work for me that cut down drastically on weight or bulk are below.

Food--I don't carry a stove. Riding BDR and harder type stuff....it is not about luxurious eating at camp for me, it is about riding!! I carry a rudimentary cooking tool called an adjustafork (pic below) and a metal cup to heat on the fire. The week before my trips, I call the various National Forests or BLM I am traveling through to find out about burn bans and plan accordingly....and eat in town if there is ban where I am headed for the night or buy a cold sandwich to carry. Meat--on these big rides out of state, I bring my first steak with me, frozen. Throw it in the freezer wherever I am that first night at a motel or KOA leaving my truck for the week. Next day, the steak will easily hold all day for that first night camping off the bike. After that, I only buy a steak when hitting that last town prior to camping. It will hold for hours in your backpack, packed close to your 3L bladder.....that I always put ice in at every stop (this is your ice chest!!). I also like doing tortilla wraps with hot dogs or precooked bratts, they can last for hours in a backpack under same condition, really all day. And you can eat cold/or in foil next to your engine if you can't have a fire. A couple pieces of foil is handy and doesn't take up much room. Breakfast, I just do a dry bar, sometimes I will buy two gas station sandwiches the day before....or if getting fancy a gas station wrap!! Lunch, jerky/trail mix or gas station sandwich, occasionally a hot meal if passing through a town and place looks cool. Only carry enough snacks with you for a day or two, replenish when you hit a town. MREs and Town House meals take up a lot of room along with stoves....and I can eat a gas station sandwich for much cheaper.....and lighter.....and faster. I carry a couple catchup sized Gu Energy packs for emergencies or really hot days, game changer, I like the strawberry banana ones. Remember, pretty much all BDRs....you can replenish anything you need every 24 hours along the way when you get fuel for the bike. And I got in the habit of snagging some hot sauce and mustard pacs that are free at every gas station, works in tortillas with just about anything. I bring a zip lock baggy of dry rub seasoning as well, takes up no room and store with my couple pieces of foil.

Clothes, I am to the point I don't carry much at all, the stuff on my back, one short sleeve shirt/shorts with flops for off the bike. Two spare underwear/socks. I tried wearing two pair of underwear, but that was going too far....or was it? You can wash your clothes when you get to camp/motel, even if just in an empty ice bag. I carry baby liquid detergent for this. Jackets/Coats--I bring a fox rain jacket, the rest is layer stuff. I don't want to make room for bulky cold weather jackets, not used enough on these trips for me. Sometimes I am cold the first hour or two of riding in high elevations in the 30s or 40s, just pick a harder trail and warm up :-). I would rather be light/tight 80-90 % of the day than warm and cozy for the first hour or two with a bulky bike all day. Hand harmers are also one of my tricks. If my feet and hands aren't cold, I tell the rest of my wimpy body to shut up. That and ride slower the first hour or two to lower the wind chill.

Tools/Tubes, yes you have to have them. If you are 21/18, you can carry one thin 21 and get by as was said. Most of my flats, patches have worked just fine. Tools, work on your bike at home to get this tool kit slimmed down with only essentials. I have a Nelson Rigg small tool roll and one bag I call the McGyver bag that is a bank cash bag with odds and ends like electrical connectors, spare bolts/nuts, spark plug. Spare levers and foot shifter are stuffed into my air box. I quit carrying chain lube. That can be a rabbit hole, but for the most part your chain is fine on the parts that matter....the part you see, get a baby wd40 if it makes you happy or half way on trip, buy one, use it, throw it away. Spare oil, I carried it on the 701 cause it would burn a little. My other two bikes, Africa Twin and 500, they don't use any. So a quart is crazy big. I went to refilling a two stroke oil baby container just to have a smig. I carry JB weld in case a case gets a hole.....and hope you find it quick! I would get the best skid plate with side protection as well. Buying oil at a gas station would cover most situations. I zip tie a leatherman style multi tool to my front forks, good place to store it and quick access.

Camping--separate your tent into different bags, helps reduce bulk. Put your sleeping bag up high on the very back, keeps all your heavy stuff down low/further forward. Sleeping pad, Klymit Static V is good compromise on comfort/packing size. Chair, I quit bothering. Too many times there was make shift chair possibilities, a picnic table....or I didn't want to mess with putting it together and carried it for nothing. Do a couple baby trips. Anything you didn't use, put it in a pile and really think about its need (non-tool stuff). Here is a pic of my first BDR packing setup (too much stuff), and a pic of my most recent BDR setup after learning/culling to get light. Both bikes were packed for a week's worth. I like stashing stuff all around the bike vs. just rear bags and big top bag and tank bag. Part of my tent is on the handlebars. I put some of my light weight clothes in a Biltwell bag above my headlight. I run 18" tires front/rear, so I have one spare thin 18" tube in the front fender bag along with two tire irons, hand pump, parachute cord and multi tool screw driver. I won't ride with too much bulk around me/behind me anymore. Best way to get there, buy a small bag setup, then you have to cull. I did things the opposite when I started out, bought bags that would carry all the crap I thought I had to have. You can listen to advise here and implement some stuff but you will only get there by doing and customizing for your needs. Have fun brother!!!

I was into lightweight backpacking well before getting back into motorcycles and can say, with authority that, KsTeveM seems to have it down. My biggest gripe is it seems like he's talking down when it comes to the Adjustafork. The Adjustafork may seem rudimentary, requiring only basic cooking principles, but I can assure you it is not. It's the pinnacle of back country cooking implements and perfectly engi-nerd-ed to cook a variety of dinners. It can be adjusted (hence the name) to any needs except soups. An astute reader will see KsTeveM accounts for this designed shortcoming with a steel cup.

I'll add, those of us running a 19/17 wheel combo can carry a single 18" tube as a spare for both ends in the event a tube is needed. But that means carrying spoons. I used the cheap steel ones for years but I've really grown to love the aluminum Motion Pro tire levers with the wrenches on the other end over the last couple of years. They're light and have proven to be very strong and up to the task so far (even when I've stood on them trying to free a very stubborn tire). On the CB500X the spoons will fit under the seat along with a compressor and a fairly robust tool kit. That's one reason I decided on the little Honda actually.

Sometimes there's room for spare fuses in the fuse box. On my 1150GSA I also duct taped my tube repair kit to the bottom of the fuse box lid. There was enough room for the scraper tool and a tube of rubber cement in there as well. Look for these handy little spots to keep such things out of luggage and make room in the toolkit.

IMO the more of the toolkit that can stay with the bike 24/7 the better since I usually don't get opportunities to ride with luggage these days.

Gonna locate and post our packing list. Developed over 30 years, it is really well tested... Well its in a word pad format and it won't post. I'll need to work on this one.
You can cut'n'paste out of WordPad and into the Forum.

I'd like to learn from your 30 years of learning :rider:

Back