• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Howdy from Bryan - New Rider

Reaction score
I am totally new to being a two-wheeler. Took my MSF course this past weekend on a nice little Suzuki 250 and really enjoyed it.

The reason I decided to take the MSF course was that my dad passed his 2002 Ultra Classic down to me. It has a lot of sentimental value for me as I used to ride on the back with him when I was a kid.

However... it is a lot of bike! I really look forward to having the skills and confidence to ride it. . In the meantime I'll be looking for something more manageable. So if you know anyone who's selling...

Look forward to being part of the community!

ultra classic.JPG

Welcome from the Southwest contingent. I'll echo Tuco's statement; too many new riders just hop on a large or high horsepower bike and wind up doing a disservice to themselves, their bike, and possibly an innocent member of the public. Good on you for being level-headed enough to start out small and work your way up. But don't let that H-D sit idle for too long. A little putt around the neighborhood every month will be good for it. And you.

That's really cool that you got your Dad's bike. I picked up a few used KTM 390 Adventures for my kids to ride after they got their licenses. They love them. We ride all the time between Huntsville and College Station. You can find nice used ones with lots of accessories in the $4.5-5.5K range. They have ABS and traction control. They will run 80mph even loaded with luggage. You can ride mild off road on them and have fun on all the forest/county roads between BCS and Huntsville.

That's really cool that you got your Dad's bike. I picked up a few used KTM 390 Adventures for my kids to ride after they got their licenses. They love them. We ride all the time between Huntsville and College Station. You can find nice used ones with lots of accessories in the $4.5-5.5K range. They have ABS and traction control. They will run 80mph even loaded with luggage. You can ride mild off road on them and have fun on all the forest/county roads between BCS and Huntsville.
Yes was really cool when he gave it to me. Total surprise. We rode it (20 years ago...) together on a long trip from Amarillo to the boundary waters of Minnesota/Canada. Up along the Mississippi river. Camped/canoed for a week in the lakes. And then back south through the dakotas, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico. Epic trip. Hope to repeat something similar on it with my kid one day.

Speaking of KTM 390s... there's a 2019 for sale in Bryan for $4k šŸ¤”. Did your kids have experience riding before they got the KTMs? What was the learning curve like for them?

Howdy. I'm sitting in Bryan right now. Been here a long time. Maybe we can make some rides. It's a bit wet today tho. If your looking for a more of a starter bike, my brother has a 17 Suzuki C50 (805 cc) for sale and my co-worker has a 21 Rebel 300 for sale. Let me know if your interested.

Welcome from Plano. I agree with above post, great you took the safety course. It would be good to ride the HD once a month for a short ride to help the bike and get your confidence up. The HD is too nice to let it sit in the garage. My thoughts are a smaller starter bike 300 or so. Keep the HD for the memories and ride it. You will grow into to it faster than you think! Good luck!!!!

Speaking of KTM 390s... there's a 2019 for sale in Bryan for $4k šŸ¤”. Did your kids have experience riding before they got the KTMs? What was the learning curve like for them?

Bringing the Next Generation Along

There Comes a Time

Hello Chris, and welcome to the two-wheeled life!

To chime in on the 2019 KTM 390s, most people I know love them. The 2017 or newer seem to be good bikes, model years before that I just heard about too many people having issues.

If you look at that bike just make sure you either feel comfortable inspecting a used bike, or take someone with you that does to make sure you know what you're really getting in the deal.

Hi Chris
Welcome to the forum. I live in College Station and have been a long time rider. Someone mentioned KTM 390 adventureā€¦nice bike. I have the other low displacement adventure bike, the Royal Enfield Himalayan that I am considering to out out for sale. Bike has about 4500 miles, I am first owner, and it is in perfect condition! Let me know if you want to see it.

Welcome to the forum, great choice on starting on something smaller to build your skills.
Hope you enjoy that legacy bike in the meantime, remember to do small rides around the neighborhood to keep it running well.
Add some fuel stabilizer too, it helps keep the fuel system clean if you're not riding it often.

Welcome to bcs. I live up the road a little. Hit me up when you're ready to explore some backroads.

If the big HD is the goal, then yeah, I think a mid-size (800?) Japanese Cruiser is the good bike to start on. Get one several years old, with some road-rash on it already. Ride it for 6 months or a year, then sell it for what you paid for it.

I think a mid-size (800?) Japanese Cruiser is the good bike to start on. Get one several years old

I keep telling my brother to post his for sale....it's sitting in my shop doing nothing.

I had that exact bike a long time ago. Got a great deal on it except for the title. The guy kept hesitating to send it. Turned out he had quit paying on it and it was up for repo. I enjoyed it until the tags ran out, Then I sold it to a co worker for what I paid for it. Yes I told him everything about it. He didn't care. It was a fun little bike.

Thanks everyone for the welcome and welcome advice. I actually bought a used XV250. Small bike. I've been riding around a bit (actually got my M endorsement on my license now!). It's definitely not a high powered machine! But I'm enjoying it. Lots of skills to practice.

View attachment 372029

Nice! We bought that same kind of bike for my wife when she decided to get into riding. It was a blast to ride. Also nice to have the shaft drive and not have to worry about chain maintenance.

IMG00261.jpg

Thanks everyone for the welcome and welcome advice. I actually bought a used XV250. Small bike. I've been riding around a bit (actually got my M endorsement on my license now!). It's definitely not a high powered machine! But I'm enjoying it. Lots of skills to practice.

View attachment 372029
Perfect choice with the Suzi. I used to tell everyone to put 5000 miles on a small one before grabbing a heavier, higher HP bike. Its the wise thing to do. The HD is a heavy deal, so good to ride it in cruiser mode monthly or even every couple weeks to keep it running. Just be overly careful starting and stopping and you will be fine. Keep it 90 degrees to ground when landing! The more miles you do on the 250 the faster the HD will feel comfortable.

nice to have the shaft drive and not have to worry about chain maintenance.

be aware that you still need to change the oil in the final drive. It doesn't take much, a couple of cups. Also be aware the Suzuki didn't lube the shafts very well for a time, so it's worth taking a maintenance day and removing the shaft and making sure the splines are well lubed.

Back