• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I have joined the scooter crowd

Wow — that seat looks comfy. I bet she is smooth too.

Last edited:
Wow — that seat looks comfy. I she is smooth too.

There is a story there. Me, being the bonehead that I am, didn't realize that the seat had a bolt in the front, holding it on. We loaded it up in Houston,. And took off for Corsicana.

We stopped for lunch about 100 miles down the road, and no seat. That darned seat, which was original, and pristine, had flown off, going down the highway. Never did find it.
Had to buy one off fleabay. The new seat was waterlogged, and really ratty. I dried it out, and had it recovered.

Lesson learned. (Plus, about $200.00 added to the total price.) 😭

BMW rider for over 40 years now enjoying my GTV250ie Vespa. I had no idea how much fun a Vespa would be. Everywhere I go folks come up and comment how cool it is. The smiles per mile are incredible. And it gets over 75 mpg and will run 70MPH. Viva Italia.....

Time flies when you are having fun. My Xmax now has 12300 miles on her. Not a single problem so far. Averaging about 55 mpg and top speed is about 80. I added a topcase and use it alot. I changed the rear shocks to YSS and the muffler to an Arrow. The muffler in particular improved the rear suspension with the weight reduction. I have the front fork upgrade from YSS but I haven’t installed it yet. I had the seat reshaped and upholstered with black leather. I moved the passenger hump back because my long legs put my butt on the edge of the hump in the seat.

Attachments

• IMG_0520.jpeg
    IMG_0520.jpeg
    649.2 KB · Views: 48
Hey, Rick, I'm loving my XMAX as well. In fact, I sold my FJ-09, and we are now using the XMAX as our two up ride! Like you, I installed a top box as well; not for more storage as there's so much under the seat already, but more for a backrest for the Boss ;-). What do you think about that Arrow exhaust as far as sound and performance? I have a Leo Vince on mine, but since it came with the bike when I bought it, I don't know how it compares to stock performance wise. It's definitely louder though; even too loud at times for my liking. We haven't done much two up on it so far due to the weather, but might have to look at suspension upgrade for the future also.

Smoothing out the hump on the seat is the right move, for sure. Probably necessary because of it being a Yahama. For me it's not so much long legs as long arms. I need to be further from the handlebars to ride comfortably. In our garage that is quite literally full of scooters, the Vespas fit me fine, even the GTS that I haven't been able to ride yet but just sit on, with the seat hump.

I've ridden Rick's Xmax on a midday ride on my DRZ400e. The contrast was night and day. Volume down, no more vibration, and I did have a problem keeping the mph from creeping up. It felt like the first time I drove my dad's 66 Lincoln after driving the 55 Ford F100.

The best thing about the Xmax compared to lots of other scoots is weight. I've looked at Burgman 650s for a backrest (bad back) but the 650 could be 650 pounds.

Hey, Rick, I'm loving my XMAX as well. In fact, I sold my FJ-09, and we are now using the XMAX as our two up ride! Like you, I installed a top box as well; not for more storage as there's so much under the seat already, but more for a backrest for the Boss ;-). What do you think about that Arrow exhaust as far as sound and performance? I have a Leo Vince on mine, but since it came with the bike when I bought it, I don't know how it compares to stock performance wise. It's definitely louder though; even too loud at times for my liking. We haven't done much two up on it so far due to the weather, but might have to look at suspension upgrade for the future also.
The Arrow is louder than stock, but not excessive. I don’t see any performance change but I do think the rear suspension is better with the less unsprung weight. It used to kind of pogo over a bump or pothole, but less so with the Arrow.

Rydah, did you attend the Memorial Day east Texas Tiddler run at Boles field? Rick had the Xmax there.

Yep, I met Rick that day; nice guy and loved the upgrades he did on the scoot, but unfortunately didn't get to spend as much time I'd like due to ride starting. Maybe we'll see each other again this year if/when there's another one.

Heh, I'll have to take a picture of the little bike at my family's place in the woods. I swear it looks like a monkey, but from 1970.
Lemme know when you're ready to go pick it up and so some restoring!

Back