• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ireland in 2024?

Reaction score
Back in September I had the good fortune to visit Ireland for 10 days on a bus tour with my wife. The tour had us visiting some of the more popular tourist sites in Ireland - castles, cliffs, cathedrals, museums, etc. When the tour was over I rented a BMW from a motorcycle tour company and also hired one of their guides who took me to some breathtaking roads in the Wicklow Mountains NP south of Dublin. With that small taste of Ireland, combined with the roads and sites we visited on our bus tour, I've got a huge itch to go back and take one of the tours offered by the rental company. Since my wife can’t ride, I thought it would be fun to organize a little group to do a tour. I’m thinking September, because when we were there in the second half of September, the summer tourist crowds had thinned out, and the weather was nearly perfect. Plus the choice of bikes to rent would be much better.

Basically you choose your own dates, pick a bike from their fleet (they have a nice variety, something for everyone), they pick you up at the airport in Dublin, give you a GPS loaded with the route, book hotels for you (4-star hotels at minimum), and will even rent you riding gear if you don't bring your own. The bikes all come with luggage, and the company will store any luggage for you that you don't wish to carry on the bike trip.They have several tour options, all of which promise spectacular sights and fantastic roads with very little traffic. All you need is a passport and a valid US driver's license.

Why Ireland? Having been there recently, I can vouch for the warm & friendly people who are very tolerant and accommodating of tourists. The overall vibe in Ireland is very much laid-back and way more chill than the US. English is widely spoken there, the money system is the Euro, which fluctuates, of course, but generally comes very close to the dollar. The climate is mild – I can pretty much guarantee you won’t be hot. The scenery is stunning – see above re: castles, cliffs, cathedrals, museums, and the charming small towns, right out of a fairy tale. And the roads! Everywhere you turn there are awe-inspiring mountain passes, hairpin turns, curves with incredible views of the ocean…And unlike many other places in Europe, there’s VERY little traffic to contend with. And don’t forget the wonderful Irish pubs!

Here's just a taste of some the finer roads in Ireland, and the tour I would hope to take includes three of the top five:

Ireland top 5 rides

It's not too early to start planning, getting your passport if you don't already have one, arranging for time off, booking the tour, booking flights, etc. Any takers want to join me?

FB_IMG_1695998448849 (1).jpg

FB_IMG_1698720239819.jpg

FB_IMG_1698720389255.jpg

FB_IMG_1698720253565.jpg

20230921_155711.jpg

FB_IMG_1698720247209.jpg

FB_IMG_1698720348476.jpg

FB_IMG_1698720340307.jpg

FB_IMG_1695998415308.jpg

20230925_114724.jpg

I adapted pretty quickly to driving on the left. On the bike I simply followed my tour guide. I rented a car for a few days at the conclusion of the bus tour, and I surprised myself at how quickly I caught on. Wife had to be subtle in reminding me to stay in my lane. Roundabouts were a breeze - I actually like 'em!

Completely agree about Ireland. I've been 4 times and look forward to trip #5 in 2025. The people, food and island are wonderful.

Lived on the rock for 9 years, went all over on a Yamaha 80.
lived south of dublin never too far to go anywhere.
best time to be there is july and august. Won’t rain too much!

Guessing the moto touring company requires a valid MC cert US driver's license?
If I had a bucket list, this would be on it.

Been to Ireland 2X (not on a cycle) and it was awesome. UK, not so much. Our second trip was via Groupon and a rental and we had 0 issues and hotels were very nice. Check out Limerick if you can, that was my favorite stop.

Spent a week in Ireland, in the 1980’s (!). Loved it; the scenery, the people, the food, the pubs and the MUSIC.

A trip as the OP envisions would be awesome. unless I win the lottery tho….

OP, hope you get some takers!

Spent a week in Ireland, in the 1980’s (!). Loved it; the scenery, the people, the food, the pubs and the MUSIC.

A trip as the OP envisions would be awesome. unless I win the lottery tho….

OP, hope you get some takers!
I hope I can get a few people - or even one - to consider doing an Irish tour. My S.O. can't ride with me, and this would be way too good to experience alone.

It's tempting, to be sure. I've driven through Ireland twice, it'd be even better on a bike. September is a good ways off, I couldn't begin to firm things up till April or so. But I'll keep it on my bucket list, along with the same trip to Spain. BTW, what outfit did you rent your bike through?

Mark, I rented from Lemonrock Bike Tours Good folks, easy to deal with. Check out their website. Good fleet of bikes to choose from. Lots of videos on their website too.
The tour I would choose first is the Peninsula tour: Lemonrock Bike Tours Irish-peninsula-motorcycle-tour

I wouldn't pass up a chance at the Ancient East Tour either: Lemonrock Bike Tours east-ireland-motorcycle-tour

The sooner a commitment is made the better. Best selection of available bikes and airline flights is assured to early birds.

The package sounds good on either one.
everywhere they mentioned a stop are places I have seen many times .
have many other places that i know that are as amazing but would take three weeks to see

Lemonrock has a Manx GP tour which includes a lot of Ireland as well as IOM.

Got an email from them the other day - They were bought by Tenon Tours.

Yeah, I got that email too. Haven't yet checked out how their tour business might change and what they will be offering in the future.
If I get a travel companion we can pick something from among their offerings. I know a guy - he's on this forum - who went to the IOM last year, rented from
a tour outfit in the UK, loved every minute of it.

Cool, and nice pictures. If things work out, I'll be in Ireland and Scotland with my kids & grandkids in May. Sadly, I'll be in the back seat of a minivan instead of on a VStrom. But it'll be fun anyway. Thanks for the preview.

Back