• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Jasen's Grand Tour of Texas

gixxerjasen

Wow
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got around to starting my portion of the Grand Tour of Texas today. I was headed east and figured this would be a good one for the DRZ. Roughly 330 miles and 9ish hours on the skinny (seat concepts) saddle, staying mostly on very unmaintained paved roads. Excellent weather today for the ride though.

I hit a couple of local dirty roads and then meandered north to find myself in Elmo, just east of Terrell. There I introduced a couple of Bumblebees to each other.

PXL_20230416_131222352-XL.jpg

I hit a little bit of 80 headed east and then wandered around south just a bit to find my way to my next location. There weren't any Blue Bonnets out this way but there were a lot of the pink/red flowers.

PXL_20230416_142827482-XL.jpg

I made my way to Gladewater TX where there were three bonus locations all within a literal stone's throw of each other. Ok, maybe the firetruck needs a better arm than me to get the stone over there but it was close.

First the oil derrick.

PXL_20230416_160135754-XL.jpg

Then I ran across the square to get the Gladewater museum.

PXL_20230416_160807481-XL.jpg

Then down to the other end of the square for the antique firetruck.

PXL_20230416_161219630-XL.jpg

I'd filled up my new rotopax gas can to test having the weight back there and to test if it's sealed up good. All worked out well so I did a quick refuel here to top things off and empty the rotopax.

Red Roof Inn is a sponsor of the Motorcycle Tour of Texas so there's a bonus for getting any of their locations. I'm sure I'll have better opportunities but one of the few in the area is in Longview, right next to Gladewater so I ran down and scooped this one up.

PXL_20230416_165934128-XL.jpg

On my way to my last stop in Jefferson, I was zipping down this paved road when I glanced right and saw the most beautiful dirt road. I looked at my GPS and it literally goes nowhere, this would be just an out and back of a couple of miles. Totally NOT on my itinerary, but I turned around anyway. At the area in this shot, it's that perfect level of squishiness. There was standing water in the ditches but it dried out after a bit letting me get some speed up and then it was over. The turn around at the end was all soft sand and I almost lost it there, but alll was good for the ride back to the main road.

PXL_20230416_173809178-XL.jpg

I had to meander around Jefferson a little bit to find the rail car, but that's it under the cover behind the bike.

PXL_20230416_181757492-XL.jpg

While I was looking for the rail car I passed Joseph's Riverport Barbecue which smelled really really good. I also saw that "Auntie Skinner's Riverboat Club" had good reviews but as I rode by the parking lot was full of HD motorcycles so I went over to the BBQ place. While looking for a place to sit, a couple that had their Himalayan and CRF300L Rally parked out front, offered me a seat at their table. We had a nice chat before I had to be back on my way home. No food pics as I was too busy talking.

I hit some of the same roads going back on the way home but I was tired and ended up doing a 1 hour blast down 80 back into Terrell to get me home quickly. It was a perfect weather day today and I enjoyed being out and about on the DRZ, but the next loops are big mile loops and I'll be taking the FJR for those. Stay tuned as I continue to update this thread with my progress.

Also, I needed a way to keep my rally sign from getting destroyed as it had to ride in my camelbak. I made this way cool protector out of two cheap mini clipboards from Walmart, just drilled the rivets out and removed the hardware. Just in case anyone else needs something like this, it worked great.

PXL_20230417_021723499-XL.jpg

PXL_20230417_021743998-XL.jpg

Interesting on getting a pic of the backside of the rail car.

Getting ready for a lot of riding myself later this week and week after.
Will be doing the stops you did plus all the ones in the Dallas area and back down to Houston Friday and Saturday.

Monday of next week will leave for Alpine and work my way up and around counter clockwise to most of the stops.

Interesting on getting a pic of the backside of the rail car.
Well crap. It wasn't where Garmin thought it was so I plugged in the hotel they mentioned and it took me over there but I was on the OTHER side of the hotel and still didn't see the railcar so I pulled into a little parking lot and looked up and saw it, so I ran over and grabbed the photo. Oh well, we'll see.

Great video Jasen, sad the roads are so straight over there. But I enjoyed the bumblebee

Well, I did miserable last year. Had a lot going on, we put our house up for sale and due to the local market that took a lot longer to complete, for a lot less money than we wanted. In that market, you have to be prepared for any and every showing possible, and having a dog means you need to stay close to home so you can grab stuff and vacate the house for the showing. A long and frustrating period that kept me from being able to ride very far from home. Then we had to move to our rental house and, well, with all that going on, I didn't complete the 2023 tour. Still a lot going on, but I just got my flag last week and I'm going to try for it again. With so little done last year and since I didn't use a year in the title, I'll just add to this thread. Closing on the new house this month, so we'll see how it goes, but I'm trying to be optimistic.

I had an errand to run in Plano yesterday, and the weather was so nice I couldn't resist not riding up there. Thought real hard about which bike to take and landed on dragging the poor neglected FJR out. I tagged all the "In City" locations in Dallas in one run. Not the most fun ride but it was nice anyway, and now those are knocked out.

First stop, Riders Biker Supply. I'm not a biker, and clearly from the images and logos on the front windows, this wasn't a shop catering to me, so I snapped my photo and moved on.
PXL_20240302_174355178-X2.jpg

MotoLiberty is always worth going into, especially for the total gear overload. If someone has more Klim gear in stock for you to look at, touch and try on, I'd like to see it. They've got a ton of inventory in there. They did have one Arai XD5 in stock that I got to put my hands on. Not my size but a very nice helmet. They'll be getting a large shipment in end of this month or next, so that could line up for me. XD4's still not being let go at tempting prices so maybe I'll wait for the 5's.
PXL_20240302_181536837-X2.jpg

As I pulled up to MotorcycleGear.com's headquarters, there was a lady with a trike snapping a photo getting her tour stop. We chatted for a few minutes and she was doing hers in the opposite direction I was going in, so I answered a few questions and she was on her way. I snapped my photo and moved on, got my errand run and ran home.
PXL_20240302_185438702.MP-X2.jpg

Nice ride, in the 60's when I left and 84 on arriving home. I made the decision to ride 30 across Lake Ray Hubbard and that was nice because the water is apparently still super cold and the wind blowing across the lake was like riding in air conditioning.

Back