• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Jonesing for a Bandit!

Bugs

Reaction score
Ok folks I got itch for a 2016 Bandit, Just gonna go pure street for awhile. Got one located in Granbury and likely will get it next Tuesday. Because I'm overgrown, 6'3'' about 210 soaking wet. Will I be ok with the rider triangle, leg room and so fourth? Your honest opinions for me to consider appreciated.

Ok folks I got itch for a 2016 Bandit, Just gonna go pure street for awhile. Got one located in Granbury and likely will get it next Tuesday. Because I'm overgrown, 6'3'' about 210 soaking wet. Will I be ok with the rider triangle, leg room and so fourth? Your honest opinions for me to consider appreciated.

I'm only 5-8, but lowered my pegs the first time I owned my 07 Bandit at age 54. (just flipped the OEM mounts) I remember the lack of legroom, even at my height, was painful on longer rides. Fast forward 10 years, I recently bought the same bike back, it still has the lowered pegs, and seems fine, even tho' I'm 10 yrs older, age 64+ now. The seat is still a pain, but I don't take long rides like I used to, mostly due to back pain. If your knees are good, you should be ok. If it has an aftermarket seat, that would be a HUGE plus. I still have the stock one, and it hurts pretty quick!

Mine weren't great, even at 54.....getting pretty painful now, but still no problems with the lowered pegs.....but again, my rides are always less than 100 miles these days. By then, my back hurts enough that I don't even notice the knees. Also, the seat can be adjusted....mine is on the low setting, for my short legs. I was actually looking for a 16, the touring version with bags.....just happened to see my old 07 on Craigslist, and couldn't resist!!

Edit: you have a Vstrom? I had 2 1k's, but have a Weestrom now. It fits me great (a little tall) but after getting the Bandit, it has sat most of the summer.

I just bought the one Mitch had for sale and really am enjoying it. Never rode a bike with so much low end torque. Haven’t taken any long rides yet but they are on the horizon. Really fun bike to ride.

Enjoy yours and post pics.

Attachments

• 2F4B5383-BED1-43BC-8FBB-9303D8AF3DDE.jpeg
    2F4B5383-BED1-43BC-8FBB-9303D8AF3DDE.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 283
  • 702C4D60-1903-4F19-B3E3-6819533E63C2.jpeg
    702C4D60-1903-4F19-B3E3-6819533E63C2.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 278
Vstroms, yep I had 3. Two Wees and a Vee. I liked them ok. This Bandit will be a whole new world, my first 4 banger.

I just bought the one Mitch had for sale and really am enjoying it. Never rode a bike with so much low end torque. Haven’t taken any long rides yet but they are on the horizon. Really fun bike to ride.

Enjoy yours and post pics.

That is what hooked me on Bandits. Power wheelies from 2500 rpm. UNbelievable torque. If you ever want more top end, add a pipe, remove the secondary flys, open the airbox lid, and hang on!! 120+ hp.

Mine is an ‘07 but still is crazy quick. You will love it. I have a super clean ‘09 Versys 650 that just sits now because of the Bandit.

Vstroms, yep I had 3. Two Wees and a Vee. I liked them ok. This Bandit will be a whole new world, my first 4 banger.

I love inline 4's. I've had scads of 'em. I only liked the Stroms for the long wheelbase and plenty of legroom. The Bandit's 4 is smooth as silk. If ever it isn't, do a throttle body sync and it'll smooth right out again. Truly one of my favorite inline 4s.

I can't wait to ride this thing, won't be able to get it till next Tuesday. Iv'e watched every YouTube video I can find on the Bandit.

Didja' get it????? Waiting for pics!!!!!! :D

oh well, it takes a job to support the fun. Toys ain't cheap!! Good luck, hope it all works out, and I'll keep watching for pics.

You'll love the 1250s Bandit. Over 95K miles on mine and it could go anywhere in the US at present, But my body can't! Sigh!

Well, since the thread has been bumped, and I wonder if you ever got it, I'll chime in. I am 6'1" and about 230. I find the triangle on my '01 to be comfortable. I've ridden from Houston to stephenville a few times (kind of a stretch, but it gets really boring in a cage) and the only issues I've had have been the seat turns into a chunk of plywood after about 2 hrs and I get terrible fuel economy. I pass everything but gas stations.

Around town it makes a fun commuter. On the surface streets you can ride upright and see everything you want. On the freeway it is effortless to lean over the tank and plant your nose on the dash.

A lot of folks complain about the brakes and the suspension. They get the job done, but there are bikes with better suspension and brakes. That said, the machine is predictable. I get no surprises from it.

Also, wheelies. Lots of wheelies...

Have you thought about a Hayabusa? The bottom end is unbelievable. Pulls power wheelies in 5th (and the 4 below) and if you keep it in legal speeds will get 45+ MPG

The Bandit is a unique bike. I think it's one of the last UJM motorcycles. Mine, with 26K miles, has been completely reliable, a perfect low height seat for my 30" legs, it's not exceptionally heavy, has a torqie four cylinder that pulls from 2,000 in sixth, and decent wind projection with a MSR top wing on a larger screen. My Holeshot exhaust and an aftermarket tuner adds to the fun when winding it out. I decided awhile back to avoid hospitals and tickets so I don't use it's max power often. The way I ride the suspension and brakes are plenty good. It's lack on modern electronics means I have slid sideways with aggressive throttle on slick streets and had the front tire lock up on gravel. I know its' and my limitations now.

Last edited:
I love mine. Im 5'10 220 and need to upgrade suspension but its comfortable. I bought a seat from Terry's and changed the bike a ton for long rides. I often go 500+ a day on it without issue.

I fin ally got a Bandit this week. Found a 16 model at Wild West in Katy. Only 1700 lovely miles on it , more to come .

Attachments

• 8A867BF4-4243-4DD8-ADA9-F656F4E86E5B.jpeg
    8A867BF4-4243-4DD8-ADA9-F656F4E86E5B.jpeg
    408.1 KB · Views: 212
One day back in CA on Mt. Hamilton Rd riding our hard core sport bikes GSXR 750s and my FZR 1000 we came across some guys taking video and pics of a guy doing killer wheelies on a bandit. My buddy was a wheeling king on his GSXR so the two of em took turns showing off great wheelies. The guy was Dale, who owns Holeshot Performance. He really builds bandits well, and was always the go too guy if I remember correctly.

Back