• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Junction Western/hackberry loop ride and Camp Dec 21st

Reaction score
We are heading out to Junction on December 20th to ride the western/hackberry loop similar to what we did this past January

ride report: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1104614#post1104614

Come and join the fun.. open to all but would like to limit to 8 riders max or split up the groups if more. if you show you're riding...we won't turn you a way

Route Mileage is approximately 245 +/- Miles the long way.... plenty of bail off routes along the way.. the route is a great mix of hill country DS riding.. from two lane curvy roads, slick water crossings. dirt roads. a few technical areas but nothing an average rider can't maneuver. one obstacle is what I call the bump gate road.. seems to be 20 plus bump gates that we all take turns opening for each other like dominoes.. they get old after a while but the road is absolutely worth every gate..

I'll have GPS downloads and can produce a road book if needed.

We are camping at the South Llano river state park.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/south-llano-river

we are tent camping but they do have rv spots for anyone that wants to be a wuss..LOL.. and trailer their bike down
speaking of being a wuss.. if it's too cold or wet we'll hotel it ourselves..LOL

Friday Dec. 20..
Ride in and set up camp. Dinner TBD..

Saturday Dec 21.
Meet at McDonalds (I-10/377) 7:30/8 am...
Kickstands up at 9am
Ride western loop and hackberry rd.
Lunch in Rock Springs at the King Burger/ refuel at shell station if needed
Fuel up/snack at Campwood gas station
BBQ dinner at Lum's BBQ

Sunday Dec 22. pack up and ride home

this will be our last ride until the new year so come and join us if you can

Riders attending:
Kingham
Cagiva65
Willsy
Infidel
mcrider
Silver rider
Larry Gunn
JBA797

Maybe:
Bart.B
Old and Slow
dirtryder

Last edited:
Are you going back to the same camp Saturday Night?
I'm interested but not to camp.

Have to check schedule. I know im working Christmas.

Just checked-im working...

Last edited:
Im in. My only issue is I just sold my trailer so im also going to be riding in. What is your route over from Austin going to be? Im coming up from San Antonio. Maybe we can hook up along the way.
Im ok with camping if the conditions are decent. I have a small tent. otherwise a nice warm hotel room will be in order.
Im behind on my riding this fall so this ride will give me a little booster until the Big Bend ride in March.
Give me a call earlier that week so we can work out the last minute details.
210-392-7980

Have to check schedule. I know im working Christmas.

Just checked-im working...

Bummer...

Can't you call in Sick??? Doctor Dirt says you need some ride time!!:lol2:

NOTE: SEE Changes to first OP.. made changes and added info
Western Loop and hackberry road is in JUNCTION Texas.. not Llano.. the campground Name got me all confused.. LOL>>>

Im in. My only issue is I just sold my trailer so im also going to be riding in. What is your route over from Austin going to be? Im coming up from San Antonio. Maybe we can hook up along the way.
Im ok with camping if the conditions are decent. I have a small tent. otherwise a nice warm hotel room will be in order.
Im behind on my riding this fall so this ride will give me a little booster until the Big Bend ride in March.
Give me a call earlier that week so we can work out the last minute details.
210-392-7980

Cool! I'm with you on the motel.. we'll see how the weather pans out..

I'll start looking at routes.. Let me know when you can take off on Friday..

NOTE: SEE Changes to first OP.. made changes and added info
Western Loop and hackberry road is in JUNCTION Texas.. not Llano (typo)..
added participants

Ok, I'm in. Have a room at Motel 6 across from mickyD. I have an extra bed if you want to for go the camp.

Good golly. Don't eat at Coopers in Junction! Horrible ! Eat BBQ at Lum's. As always , jmo. (But it is godawful.)

Well, I wouldn't say it sucks. I've had good and bad there, but I'll always choose Lum's over Cooper's.

Yeah. My comment was directed to the Junction location. Llano still gets a occasional stop from me but it has dropped in my rankings, too. (The porkchop in Llano is still good but most folks have to get financing to afford it.)

Getting back to the ride!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rider:

Ken, I cannot log on to Rally Navigator. I've registered, I've signed up, I've send forgot password to them, I still cannot get in.

Can you post the gpx here.

Are you taking radios?

I'll PM you the files.

Yes.. if you have two way Radios we'll use them.. channel 15

we've picked up some really nice ones this year.. Baofeng dual UV 5xx (XX subsitute for (R,S etc as there are many different sub letters) set to GMRS channels.. can get larger batteries and antennas. though using these gets into a little grey area with the GMRS rules. but work tons better than the wallyworld units

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=baofeng+uv-5rs+car+adaptor&_osacat=0&_from=R40&LH_PrefLoc=3&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xbaofeng+uv-5r&_nkw=baofeng+uv-5r&_sacat=0

they use the Kenwood 2 prong connector for the helmet PPT

Ok, I'm in. Have a room at Motel 6 across from mickyD. I have an extra bed if you want to for go the camp.

Chris are you trailering out, trucking or riding? Staying overnight before the ride, after or both? I'm thinking about joining but might be kinda cold for such a long freeway speed ride from Houston to Junction during dark hours and I'm not really wanting to overnight. Pondering my options.

_

Chris are you trailering out, trucking or riding? Staying overnight before the ride, after or both? I'm thinking about joining but might be kinda cold for such a long freeway speed ride from Houston to Junction during dark hours and I'm not really wanting to overnight. Pondering my options.

_

I plan on loading up in my truck Thursday afternoon & leave out Friday morning. I have reservations Friday & Saturday nights. I have an open spot.

Ken put me as "in" for this ride now. Sharing a ride in Friday with Chris and roughing it at the Motel 6 also, haha. We'll be sure to come by and visit all the nature lovers at the campground each night though. haha

_

Well from the news last night.. they say "Arctic Air" might make it in new week just in time for our ride.. if that's the case.. we all are roughing it at the motel 6.
don't mind being cold while riding but camping in freezing temps is beyond what I call fun... LOL

I would like to join you guys. I have to work Friday, but can make it to Junction before too late Friday night. Motel 6 would be the place since camping and late arrival would be difficult. Look forward to meeting you guys. I have ridden hackberry road before, and several of he roads around junction. Should be a good run.

Back