• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kitchen board bash plate

Reaction score
laugh all you want - it cost me 66$ for the board, heatgun, 8.8 fastners.

Attachments

• IMG_20230115_110148_1.jpg
    IMG_20230115_110148_1.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 136
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-01-15 at 5.07.27 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-15 at 5.07.27 PM.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 131
Good ideal. No laughing here I bet it is much better than the fake plastic one that was stock on my DL1000 . I have used them for rod holder Mount on boat and several other projects. I like that pup you got too.

NIce.

I've been trying to make a GPS mounting plate using 2 different thickness cutting boards. Think I have about 4 different attempts laying around. Try one thing, find something I didn't think about, drill more holes, try again, move some stuff on the bars, try again...HAHA. I got tired of it and gave up. For now.

I lost one of the mounting plates for my Cycra skid plate, so I made one from Kydex.

No laughing from me! I have seriously considered doing just that for my ADVized GS500. I am just concerned that heat from the exhaust, which runs under the engine, would deform it in use. But a rock kicked up from the front tire and knocking into even a deformed bash plate would be much preferable to the same rock hitting a cooling fin or the header.

I tried to epoxy two pieces of cutting board together the glue did not hold. Guess what they are made of. I even roughed them up. I also used a a trolling motor mount spacer. Worked like a champ. I would use a fan behind me if using heat. I know PVC when flame hits it is toxic. Not sure about heat gun. I'm not sure what CB's are made of.

I tried to epoxy two pieces of cutting board together the glue did not hold. Guess what they are made of. ... I'm not sure what CB's are made of.

They are made of UMHW Polyethylene or HDPE (high density polyethylene). There's not much that will stick to it. That's the entire point of it. That's why they make stuff like super glue lids from it. Also among the same reason it will sort of slide off of stuff, that's why they make things like kayaks and playground slides from it. If you need a shape then you need to form it from one piece with heat, or use a mechanical fastener like a pop rivet. There are certain chemical bonding systems that include a primer and material specific adhesive that can work, but we're talking industrial use kind of cost and quantity.

Adhesives have very specific uses, of course, and plastics are notoriously difficult to bond. Epoxy is good for metals and porous materials, but oddly enough, unless the plastic is an epoxy based plastic (like, say, fiberglass...), epoxy generally won't stick to it. There are people who know way more than I do about this on this forum who should comment. I know way more than the average person about adhesives but I'm far from being an expert. Seems a lot of folks find epoxy can readily glue metal parts together with a lot of strength of bond, so they file that data as "epoxy is very strong" and then it's mystifying when it won't even stick to some stuff.

Back