• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

LD Riding Questions & Answers

As far as I know

For videos you sign up with you tube, upload it there, then you can copy and paste your YouTube link here.
There you go. Y’alls Tube. I’m guessing you probably need interweb service to do that? I don’t have any of that available where I live. Besides I figure every body has seen lights strobing, if you haven’t, you just haven’t consumed enough tequila at one sitting.

There you go. Y’alls Tube. I’m guessing you probably need interweb service to do that? I don’t have any of that available where I live. Besides I figure every body has seen lights strobing, if you haven’t, you just haven’t consumed enough tequila at one sitting.
:lol2:So how are you communicating now without internet (if you know something I dont , let me know) I bet your at the local liars club (coffee club) with free wi fi.

:lol2:So how are you communicating now without internet (if you know something I dont , let me know) I bet your at the local liars club (coffee club) with free wi fi.
I find wearing aluminum foil on my head and sipping mescal allows me to telecommute the web of the world.

Splash, I’m interested in seeing how your tank bag fits on a ‘18+ Wing. Did you make it yourself or buy it?

Splash, I’m interested in seeing how your tank bag fits on a ‘18+ Wing. Did you make it yourself or buy it?
yes sir, it's homemade. it is a canvas tackle box I bought at Cabelas. i bought web strapping on amazon and some quick releases tabs. before my LD rides i spray it with wax waterproofing. it's not perfect but it serves me well. it has a main compartment plus 3 more around the main. i did have to add a .5x2 inch metal tab to the bottom of both the left and right control boxes. without those little bumpers, every tight turn would either honk the horn or push the starter button, lol

Linda has been a manufacturer of various tank bags for years, primarily for the LD market. I haven't heard much from her in several years and her website hasn't been updated since 2016 (domain is obviously still working), but you may want to give her a call to see if she's still in business.

yes sir, it's homemade. it is a canvas tackle box I bought at Cabelas. i bought web strapping on amazon and some quick releases tabs. before my LD rides i spray it with wax waterproofing. it's not perfect but it serves me well. it has a main compartment plus 3 more around the main. i did have to add a .5x2 inch metal tab to the bottom of both the left and right control boxes. without those little bumpers, every tight turn would either honk the horn or push the starter button, lol

Nice job. I looking around for ideas for my ‘19 Wing. Backseat takes camping gear and overnight clothes. Right takes tools and bike gear. Left takes additional clothes and riding layers. Trunk gets electronics. Need something up front for snacks and frequent use small items.

What jacket for hi-temp evaporative cooling? All my present stuff is mesh....motoport, revit, etc. Been considering a Klim Latitude, would that be an appropriate choice? Or recommendations??

The Latitude is great. I’m an Aerostich guy, love the Darien. Many other good options out there.

I think the standard advice of buying the highest quality jacket that fits your budget applies. Venting is very useful.

Those Aerostichs sure look comfy. I may have to try one next time.

I have been using a Klim induction jacket for the past couple of years and am very happy with it. It even works well down to about 35 degrees with a wind break or heated liner underneath it. Perfect for combined southwest and northwest long distance riding variability.

What jacket for hi-temp evaporative cooling? All my present stuff is mesh....motoport, revit, etc. Been considering a Klim Latitude, would that be an appropriate choice? Or recommendations??
Lattitude is good, I rode in one for about 5 years. The Carlsbad is a little lighter in weight. Either way, above 93 degrees, close the zippers and pour some water down your jacket. Mesh is ok for day rides but not for long-distance stuff. Unless of course, you enjoy stopping and putting in and taking out liners :)

Lattitude is good, I rode in one for about 5 years. The Carlsbad is a little lighter in weight. Either way, above 93 degrees, close the zippers and pour some water down your jacket. Mesh is ok for day rides but not for long-distance stuff. Unless of course, you enjoy stopping and putting in and taking out liners :)

Exactly my reasons.

Thanks everyone.

Those Aerostichs sure look comfy. I may have to try one next time.
They are... once they are broke in. When you first get it you'll feel like you're in a suit of armor since everything is so stiff. It was a struggle to get the jacket zipped up since I could hardly bend my arms in to grab the zipper, but it gets better. Much better. One of the best moto investments I've ever made.

Love the info on this and the resource forum thread. Been cross country twice and learning as I go. Recently returned from WI to TX on two day ride and temp change was 60 Sat morning to 103 when we got home Sunday evening. Was a tough ride.

Ahhh.....just a "day ride" for you LD riders is probably longer than I ride in a two day weekend combined. lol

I have been reading how the LD community does not recommend mesh jackets say above 93* due to the mesh allowing the air to flow through and evaporate your sweat and therefore your body's natural cooling system. So a non mesh (textile) jacket is preferred along with other LD tips such as wearing the cooling caps, shirts, and leggings but most importantly making sure you stay hydrated. By the way, very grateful for you all to share your knowledge.

So I currently have a mesh jacket but I am in the process of looking to buy a textile jacket to follow the LD philosophy of staying cool and hydrated......however the brand names being mentioned like Klim and Aerostich are out of my price range. Heck even the Olympia, REV'IT, First Gear, Alpinestars, are pretty much too expensive also unless I am lucky enough to find a "Closeout" price.

1) Is there a non mesh jacket that can be used year round here, or would that be a unicorn and having a winter and summer jacket is what's needed?

2) Do you have any good non mesh jacket suggestions no more than $300 - $350 MAX ........that is NOT all black? I am probably about as close to being able to afford a Klim or Aerostich as I am a new Goldwing. lol

3) Since I ride a Goldwing, would I be less susceptible to the negative aspects of evaporative cooling wearing a mesh jacket in hot temps since a lot less airflow would be hitting me compared to a naked bike or does that have no bearing?

So I currently have a mesh jacket but I am in the process of looking to buy a textile jacket to follow the LD philosophy of staying cool and hydrated......however the brand names being mentioned like Klim and Aerostich are out of my price range. Heck even the Olympia, REV'IT, First Gear, Alpinestars, are pretty much too expensive also unless I am lucky enough to find a "Closeout" price.

1) Is there a non mesh jacket that can be used year round here, or would that be a unicorn and having a winter and summer jacket is what's needed?
Something like an Aerostich Darien Lite might fit the bill but an owner of that would need to speak up.
2) Do you have any good non mesh jacket suggestions no more than $300 - $350 MAX ........that is NOT all black? I am probably about as close to being able to afford a Klim or Aerostich as I am a new Goldwing. lol
3) Since I ride a Goldwing, would I be less susceptible to the negative aspects of evaporative cooling wearing a mesh jacket in hot temps since a lot less airflow would be hitting me compared to a naked bike or does that have no bearing?
I would imagine that it does make a difference, but how much of one I don't know as I haven't ridden an un-faired bike since 1978. If you stick with the mesh jacket for now and just invest in a long sleeve LD Comfort shirt you'll gain some cooling benefit, but depending upon the temperature and the humidity level you may just have to stop and recharge the shirt with water much more often. Also, I don't remember if it is mentioned above or not, but your use of LD Comfort in CC TX is not going to have the same beneficial cooling effect as it will for me in Arizona strictly due to the humidity levels. It will work, but it just won't be as effective. It's the same as us using a swamp cooler in our houses out here with 10% relative humidity and you using a swamp cooler in 80+ humidity percentages. Get away from the coast and get up into the Hill Country and you'd see a much bigger difference.

I have one of these and it works for me. I ride a Yamaha Super Tenere and a 2006 Goldwing. Yes, it gets hot when I am on the wing but I just pull the zipper down a bit and unsnap the neck.

And it’s on close out.

I have switched from a Darien to Darien lite for my year round jacket. In the summer when moving its air flow with the various vents work but when stopped it gets hot because its summer time. Winter I use a warm and safe jacket under the Darien . Klim or ld comfort for a base layer .

I use a perforated leather jacket, and it has served me well at all temps. It limits the airflow enough that I seemed to use the LD comfort gear without issue on my SS1000 last July, and with the liner and a hoodie or jacket underneath I don’t feel the cold much either in the winter.

I still haven’t found a solution for pants, because my perforated leather pants Do Not work well in the cold, and the riding jeans are stuffy in the summer and don’t block enough cold in the winter.
s-l400.jpg

Thank you everyone for your replies, I really appreciate it and it gives me some idea of what to look for.

PS - I still think you guys are either clinically insane or superhuman, I don't know how you do it.

Last edited:
I still haven’t found a solution for pants, because my perforated leather pants Do Not work well in the cold, and the riding jeans are stuffy in the summer and don’t block enough cold in the winter.
Are you using the LDC tights under your riding pants? I have found them to help with the heat on my lower legs in the summer and the cold in the winter. My thighs still get cold in sub-40 degree temps. I have heated pants but don't like using them.

PS - I still think you guys are either clinically insane or superhuman, I don't know how you do it.
It's easier when you work up to it and try different things to see what works for you in terms of riding gear and hydration and food and rest. Do it in increments starting with 250 miles, then 500, then 750, and then the 1K.

When folks first hear One THOUSAND miles in under 24 hours they see a monumental task in front of them, when in reality the SaddleSore 1000 is one of the easiest rides out there. I've done several of these where I stopped to take a nap in a city park, on a rest area picnic table, etc. You have a LOT of time to ride the full 1,000.

The 50 CC from San Diego to Jacksonville is also not that difficult; I stopped in TX and slept for over six hours in the middle of mine.

Are you using the LDC tights under your riding pants? I have found them to help with the heat on my lower legs in the summer and the cold in the winter. My thighs still get cold in sub-40 degree temps. I have heated pants but don't like using them.
I used the LDC underneath the leather in the summer and it worked well for the heat, but the cold did not seem to be stopped in the wintry conditions, non-breathing jeans or leather. Not quite as numb/painful as the hands with the gauntlets, but no better than going commando.

Back