• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: Looking to see if there interest in Bastrop area ride/skills lessons

Is this at your place ? The single track u talked about anyway just let me know when you plan to do this again I am also pretty free on Fridays I work only 4 day week 😁
In the Summer time the best time is probably early in the mornings to noon or so but hey a real Texan probably won't care about the100s 😎

But for my self definitely like to practice my big bike with the full weight just the way I will ride it on a tour. This way I get use to the way it handles with the weight anyways. Your idea idea to have a small practice area set up over time is something I could see people liking. I believe there are plenty big bike guys out there around Austin area who do not know where to exercise and train some skills that are not easy to train on paved roads. Would be probably also a nice day to come together and help out a little with a couple of beers of course 😂 I will find some good German stuff
I guess if you keep to mild dirt stuff with all your gear that may be fun and useful, but if it goes south, you write checks for damaged parts, and may miss out on a riding season due to a damaged body. But I agree the beer helps reduce the pain and infuriation with either scenario. I always tell people not to trash their nice big adv bikes over practicing the 1% scenario they may encounter, which is usually avoidable in the first place. Ride a dirt bike to develop off-road skills then you'll usually be fine on the big adv bike with gear in a little squirrely terrain getting to that awesome campsite. Deep sand along the path and you are screwed quite possibly. There will always be the check writing sector who want to try the real rough stuff on a 1200 cc adv bike with gear, perhaps subliminally for an ADV down bike pic. I learned a long time ago not to screw up my adv trip because I let an underqualified rider on the ride and now have their trauma to deal with. Everyone needs to have sufficient skills, knowledge and abilities to make a ride. Last July I bought an Africa Twin DCT. I went and cut a long multi terrain path with my mower on the ranch so I could see the underlying terrain and practice off-road, wanting to know firsthand what it is like to ride a DCT off-road. I could have loaded gear and still survived, but honestly that's unnecessary and I don't like to practice falling down, especially if the wife sees me, so I just wanted to get the basic handing and drive train characteristics down before loading gear on. I ran the 90/10 OEM tires as my adv rides are largely paved. The AT DCT was actually quite capable, and as riding has proven for the last 800,000 miles, I'm usually the limiting factor :-) If you come out here, Beck's dark or any Octoberfest would be fine.

I guess if you keep to mild dirt stuff with all your gear that may be fun and useful, but if it goes south, you write checks for damaged parts, and may miss out on a riding season due to a damaged body. But I agree the beer helps reduce the pain and infuriation with either scenario. I always tell people not to trash their nice big adv bikes over practicing the 1% scenario they may encounter, which is usually avoidable in the first place. Ride a dirt bike to develop off-road skills then you'll usually be fine on the big adv bike with gear in a little squirrely terrain getting to that awesome campsite. Deep sand along the path and you are screwed quite possibly. There will always be the check writing sector who want to try the real rough stuff on a 1200 cc adv bike with gear, perhaps subliminally for an ADV down bike pic. I learned a long time ago not to screw up my adv trip because I let an underqualified rider on the ride and now have their trauma to deal with. Everyone needs to have sufficient skills, knowledge and abilities to make a ride. Last July I bought an Africa Twin DCT. I went and cut a long multi terrain path with my mower on the ranch so I could see the underlying terrain and practice off-road, wanting to know firsthand what it is like to ride a DCT off-road. I could have loaded gear and still survived, but honestly that's unnecessary and I don't like to practice falling down, especially if the wife sees me, so I just wanted to get the basic handing and drive train characteristics down before loading gear on. I ran the 90/10 OEM tires as my adv rides are largely paved. The AT DCT was actually quite capable, and as riding has proven for the last 800,000 miles, I'm usually the limiting factor :-) If you come out here, Beck's dark or any Octoberfest would be fine.

Probably not like that 😆

Attachments

• TC20.jpg
    TC20.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 50
By the way how u like the AT ? Did you keep it ?
Mine is no DCT wonder how this actually works of pavement..... Some people like it others don't I did hear

I was thinking more slow speed standing drill type stuff idk we ride dirt bikes here all the time maybe it could be some help setting up something to help the bigger bike guys build some confidence in their bikes and skills just a idea

Back