• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Made it to Russellville, Arkansas... and back

Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
Well, no pics, but made it up to Russellville AR. yesterday.

Left Katy @ 6:30, but had a side case pop open so I had to backtrack and find the stuff, luckily it was within the first 5 miles, so no huge deal.
One of my gripes about the BMW side cases on the K1600. I could have sworn it was clicked closed, but apparently was not. There is no light or warning on the dash to let you know it is open. I just happened to put my hand back there and found it open.
Just had my leather jacket and first aid kit fall out. Found both on the back track, luckily no traffic and both on the side of the road.
Headed up 59 to I-30 in Texarcana, then I-30 to Arkedelphia. Headed up AR 7 to Hotsprings then continued on 7 to Russellville.

Got here right at 3 pm, so pretty good time (6:45am to 3 pm) for right at 500 miles.
Google Map
trip up..JPG

Ironic thing is when looking at when to do this trip, I looked at weather and temps, and first week of October is normally highs in mid 80's and lows in 50's. Perfect temps.
When I left in the morning, I had my mesh jacket on, and was a touch cool (low 70's out), and as I rode north, it actually hit high 60's for a bit. Turned on the heated seat and grips (found my right grip does not work) and was fine.
By the time I got to Texarcana, it is almost 90°. Saw as high as 98°.
By the time I got to my hotel I was pretty sweaty and ready for a break.
Today is supposed to be just as hot, tomorrow is a little cooler (high of 90°). Wednesday it is supposed to cool off and be really nice, Thursday as well, but a chance of rain.

I am planning my route today, will probably be a 4 hour or so ride.
Thinking Russellville to Harrison (up AR7) then down to Ponca Via AR43 then AR23 to Clarksvill and back to Russellville.
And maybe a shorter trip this evening. Will have to see. Maybe I will stop for some pics.
Wednesday will be a long riding day for sure, but temperatures will be a deciding factor.

I also found that the K1600 is not quite as comfortable as my Goldwing's. Even with bar risers, I find myself at times leaning forward on the bars with my arms locked. My knees were also stiff, something I hoped the highway pegs would resolve (did help, but not fixed).
Overall I am happy with the K, the "fun factor" is there for sure, but comfort is not quite where I want it.
I will admit the bike has range. I only stopped once for fuel in Marshall (257 miles on tank) and made it to Russellville without stopping.
Best I ever got out of the GL1800 was right at 200.
I have been wanting to do a IBA ride, but not sure if I can do 1,000 miles on this bike in 24 hours.

I have to admit to myself that a part of it is my weight. Those that have met me know I am a fat guy, and really need to loose a lot. I think this is affecting my comfort on the bike, and need to get off my butt (literally and figuratively) and do something.

I'm a small guy @ 5' 1" and sat on a k1600gtl Saturday while my R1250RS was getting alarm program work. I thought wow this is tight on the knees and hips . I later got on a 1600GT with the taller seat . Much better on the ergonomics

I have a feeling you are about to REALLY appreciate the move from the Goldwing to the BMW when you hit those twisties. Sounds like you need to do like most bikes, and get it sorted and custom fit for you, then you'll be ready to take in those miles. And that 1000 in 24 hours isn't so hard, bet you could do it easier than you think.

One cool thing about motorcycling is it can prod you toward a healthier lifestyle. Aside from all the health benefits we ignore, realizing that we'll be more comfortable on the bike, and that it's cheaper to lose weight off the rider than it is to try to shed pounds off the bike and get an overall lighter and better handling ride in the long run is a huge benefit. Good that you are already thinking that way, that's the first step toward actually doing it. I wish you luck and encouragement while you move in that direction.

If you made this ride yesterday, our paths crossed a couple of times. I stayed Saturday night in Atlanta SP and we rolled out about 830. We went into Louisiana and had plans to cross the lake at Mooringsport, but the bridge was closed so we detoured back into Tx then back into Louisiana to pick up our route. Then we headed into Nacogdoches for a lunch. If your not familiar with the area, the views around Hot Springs are incredible especially at the national park. The ride up to the tower is a must see. and you can stop and fill up your water bottles right from the spring coming out of the ground and it's incredible water. I'll be making more rides into Arkansas for sure.

blupuher, when you get down to I-40 on AR23 find some route OTHER than I-40 back to Clarksville/Russellville. I-40 is a bore and dangerous like any interstate. You may have to go a little out of your way but it will be worth it. Lots of good stuff on the north side of I-40. South side is good also.

If you haven't book lodging for every night, you should consider the Oxford Inn in Ozark 479-667-1500 decent motel right on the Pig Trail (23). $75-$80 per night. Walking distance to eats, passable sit-down breakfast at the nearby Valero.

Enjoy your trip.

So was a "short" day today.
Only ~190 miles, about 4 hours.
Went from Russellville up toward Harrison on AR 7, cut across a little road just before Harrison over to AR 43.
Took that to AR 21 and headed south toward Clarksville. Temps this morning were perfect (right around 70°F). By the time I was getting back to Russellville, it was up to 94°F on the bike thermometer.
Took 292/164 back to AR 7.
day2.JPG

@gixxerjasen, the K1600 is a way different bike than either my GL1500 and GL1800.
While both the Wings are "sporty" for a touring bike (1800 more than the 1500), they are a touring bike.
I think the K1600 is more of a sport touring bike classified as a touring bike.
I have never ridden these roads before, so had no expectation, but noticed my speeds much higher on these roads than what they would have been on the Wing.
My only real comparison is the Three Sisters. I have been on them a few times (3x on the 1500, once on the 1800), and I found myself quite often have some pucker moments going way to fast and having a hard time slowing on the Wing.
I only had once today come even close to thinking I was going to fast into a corner, and the brakes had no issues slowing me down.
I really don't know if it is the bike or the roads. I will be doing the Sisters next spring, so maybe then I will figure it out.

@charliez, I would have been in Atlanta Tx around 11:30 or so yesterday.
I saw the overlook outside Hot Springs when heading up 7, not sure if that is what you are talking about. I was getting tired at that time and was just wanting to get to Russellville.

@Irishcoffee I had my GPS set to "Adventure" routing (avoid Highways and more curves/hills) so it routed me away from 40. Although tomorrow I may be taking 40 to Ozark to hit AR 23.

@one Wolf, booked all my nights already on Priceline a few weeks ago. Staying at the Super 8 (was $50/night) In Russellville.

Tomorrow I plan on Russellville to Ozark, up AR 23, then take AR 16 across. How far east I go on 16 depends on how I feel. May take 123 off AR 7 at Pelsor and head south from there. That would be 4 hours again.
I may keep heading to Marshall and come back down AR 27.
Supposed to hit 91° tomorrow as well.

The 4 hours today was about all I could take.
My right knee was bugging me and my left butt cheek is sore (I think it was from my wallet on the way up, I moved it to my cargo pocket on left thigh, in velcro pocket).
Am a little worried about the trip home truthfully (but can always stop somewhere for the night if I need to on the way home).
I may take Thursday as a very short ride day to rest (Mt Nebo is just over a 1 hour round trip from where I am staying, so either do it Thursday or an evening ride).

I actually stopped today to take some pics and see the view. Somewhere off AR 7.
IMG_9514.jpg

IMG_9512.jpg

Off AR 43 I think.
IMG_9516.jpg

IMG_9515.jpg

It may not be a comfortable bike, but it sure is a pretty one!!

I loved my 2 FJR's. Had them a total of 12 years but then my right knee would just whine and complain after a few hours. I'm 6'1 now, closer to 6'2" back then with longer legs. That made for a pretty tight knee bend even after raising the seat and lowering the pegs. I wonder how different the ergos of the K1600 are compared to the FJR? It looks so much bigger than the FJR

So another pretty day, just over 200 miles done.
day 3.JPG
Was not exactly how I planned it.
I went 40 to Ozark, up AR 23 to Aurora, and was going to take 127 to 16, but ended up taking CR 3120 and made my way up to AR 74, then to AR 21 (part of what I road yesterday) then down to AR 16.
CR 3120 was OK, till it was not. about 1/2 way, turned into a decent dirt road. After my last experience with a dirt road, I am wary of them. Kept going because it was only 1/2 mile to turn off, but turn off was a very, very, very steep dirt road, and was another mile to paved road. So instead of being smart and turning around, I kept going straight on the dirt road, another 1.8 miles to a turnoff. Finally made it back to paved road, and no wreck this time.
So got to 16 and meet back up with AR 7, which I had also taken yesterday, but in the other direction, so basically a new road.
When I got to Pelsor, I took 123, and man, that is a good road. This is one I would compare to the Sisters. Tons of tight turns, no traffic, up, down, 60mph+ turns and 10mph turns.
Even had a 1 lane bridge:
11111.jpg

The ride from the bridge to Hagarville was not as exciting, but was still nice. I saw 2 motorcycle and 4 other vehicles on that entire road (all after the bridge). Took 164 over to 7 and back to Russellville.

A pic from somewhere on 23:
IMG_9518.jpg

My rear is still bugging me, my right knee, not as bad, but I had 30 minutes Highway starting out where I kept my legs stretched out. Weather today was great, lows in the high 60's in the valley's in the shade, got up to 89°F when I stopped for lunch at 1 pm, and did not feel that hot (I guess humidity is down?).

Tomorrow and Thursday are going to be questionable. Weather could be OK starting tomorrow and turn bad later in the day, or start out bad, depends on which weather service I look at.
I don't mind riding in the rain, I have rain gear, but don't like cold rain or heavy storms, which it may be.
I will just have to see what the morning holds.
I feel OK, so think I may go run to Mt Nebo this evening before it gets dark, as I said, it is about an hour turnaround time.

Last edited:
So another pretty day, just over 200 miles done.
View attachment 362952
Was not exactly how I planned it.
I went 40 to Ozark, up AR 23 to Aurora, and was going to take 127 to 16, but ended up taking CR 3120 and made my way up to AR 74, then to AR 21 (part of what I road yesterday) then down to AR 16.
CR 3120 was OK, till it was not. about 1/2 way, turned into a decent dirt road. After my last experience with a dirt road, I am wary of them. Kept going because it was only 1/2 mile to turn off, but turn off was a very, very, very steep dirt road, and was another mile to paved road. So instead of being smart and turning around, I kept going straight on the dirt road, another 1.8 miles to a turnoff. Finally made it back to paved road, and no wreck this time.
So got to 16 and meet back up with AR 7, which I had also taken yesterday, but in the other direction, so basically a new road.
When I got to Pelsor, I took 123, and man, that is a good road. This is one I would compare to the Sisters. Tons of tight turns, no traffic, up, down, 60mph+ turns and 10mph turns.
Even had a 1 lane bridge:
View attachment 362953
The ride from the bridge to Hagarville was not as exciting, but was still nice. I saw 2 motorcycle and 4 other vehicles on that entire road (all after the bridge). Took 164 over to 7 and back to Russellville.

A pic from somewhere on 23:
View attachment 362954

My rear is still bugging me, my right knee, not as bad, but I had 30 minutes Highway starting out where I kept my legs stretched out. Weather today was great, lows in the high 60's in the valley's in the shade, got up to 89°F when I stopped for lunch at 1 pm, and did not feel that hot (I guess humidity is down?).

Tomorrow and Thursday are going to be questionable. Weather could be OK starting tomorrow and turn bad later in the day, or start out bad, depends on which weather service I look at.
I don't mind riding in the rain, I have rain gear, but don't like cold rain or heavy storms, which it may be.
I will just have to see what the morning holds.
I feel OK, so think I may go run to Mt Nebo this evening before it gets dark, as I said, it is about an hour turnaround time.

You are making me wish I was there riding. There are a LOT of great roads in that area. Enjoy, hope the weather holds for you.

I took 123, and man, that is a good road. This is one I would compare to the Sisters.
That road cost me a lot of money. At the FZ1 Rally I was on my FZ1 bumblebee when an old guy on an FJR got tired of our groups pace on 123 and passed us all and took off. I took off after him. When he saw me gaining on him he gave it the beans and we had a good chase all the way down that thing. I realized it wasn't the bike holding me back and promptly bought an FJR when I got home. He still laughs about that. Also, continuing to cost me money, when he went to trade in his FJR he called me up and sold me his suspension. Great deal but more money coming from that one ride on that one road. It's fantastic for sure and I bet your sporty BMW was loving every mile of it.

@copb8, I took a 2009 FJR on a test ride a few years ago and biggest gripe for me was the lean angle, too much pressure on my wrists, and I think the bike already had bar risers on it. I don't remember how the leg position was, but it was only a 20 minute ride.
I added risers to the K1600, and have the seat in the "hi" position (but it is a low seat). I think a taller seat (I am able to put both balls of feet down right now, probably tiptoe if I get a taller seat).
And yes, I loved the look of the K bikes since I saw one.
I got to ride @jfink's K1600 GTL when we went to the Sisters a few years ago (just rode it from the River Inn to Hunt to eat) and fell in love with the power of it then.

@AllByteNoBark, thanks. Hope at least tomorrow morning is good, have another ~4 hour loop planned towards Clinton and Marshall

@gixxerjasen, that's funny. I was definitely at my limit on 123, the bike was not holding me back. Maybe next time I come back I will have more seat time on the bike and can push it harder.
I never felt at any time that I was over my head, but a few corners I misjudged and was too hot, but the brakes on the 1600 are well up to the task. That and yelling at myself in my head "lean more".

I did run up to Mt Nebo. Amazing views from up there.
IMG_9526.jpg

IMG_9525.jpg

nebo 2.jpg

IMG_9529.jpg

IMG_9532.jpg

And the road up there, well, it actually scared me a little bit.
First really sharp curve uphill I was still in 3rd, not realizing how steep it was. I almost bogged it down, but was able to feather the clutch to get it up and around the corner. Was actually afraid I was going to stall and drop it.
After that, made sure I was in second coming around those sharp uphill curves (1st gear on the right handers).
Rest of the way up was ok, but took all my attention. Cant imagine towing a trailer up that hill.
Really cool state park up there though.
Ride back down was fun, was coasting most of the way down, using engine braking as needed, was getting up to 60MPH on some of the longer downhill parts, some grades were up to 18%. Just crazy.

When your i that part of Ark. I dont' think we need to say go here or there, because anywhere you go is going to be fantastic. That bridge is so cool. I like finding old bridges to ride across. In fact, I have a ride in my mind just to do to go over a certain bridge. Calcasieu River Bridge in Louisiana, or what I call Pistol Bridge. It has tons of pistols built into the iron work in the railings

@charliez, yeah, I can't say I have had a bad road since I have been here.

Today I got out around 7:30 since it said it was supposed to rain around noon.
Made another 4 hour loop.

day 4.JPG

AR 7 to AR 27, then AR 16 to Clinton.
27 and 16 were fun, but 16 was kinda crappy because I had the sun in my eyes for a lot of it, so was riding slow. Clouds came out when I hit Clinton.
Headed up 65 to Marshall. Nothing special about this road, pretty major roadway, 2 lanes each way for most of it.
Got a pic at an overlook:

IMG_9534.jpg

Continued to AR 27 down to AR 16. Then AR 7 back to town.

The first 3 hours were nice, had a sprinkle for a few minutes on 27 just before I got to 16 (heading away from Marshall).
About 1/2 way through 16, it started to pour down. Temp was about 62°, but surprisingly I was not that cold, even though I only had my mesh jacket and regular pants (decided against packing my rain gear because I am an idiot).
There were times I was doing about 10 MPH because it was hard to see and judge corners, and I am a wimp when it comes to wet asphalt. Kept raining till I was almost to Dover. Sun came out and warmed up to 78°. I was almost dry by the time I got back to the hotel.

Supposed to be off and on rain till tomorrow afternoon.
I really am debating taking tomorrow off regardless. My rear is getting sore by hour 2 now.
I don't think I can do an 8 hour day as I feel right now, so maybe the rain is a good thing.

edit: forgot to mention, I saw a Bald Eagle today when I was on 27. It took off and flew next to me for a few seconds, cool moment, wish my dash camera was working, it was just cool.

Last edited:
No idea what that is, so no.
He might be referring to this post I made in your other thread. 🤣

Or maybe not. That is what popped in my head though.

So this is what I woke up to this morning:
IMG_9535.jpg

Supposed to be like this most of the day, so with the rain, my tired rear end, and my front tire being pretty worn (not sure on exact miles on it, but @cdc said it was fairly new), I am just taking today off and will head home tomorrow morning.

@copb8, I took a 2009 FJR on a test ride a few years ago and biggest gripe for me was the lean angle, too much pressure on my wrists, and I think the bike already had bar risers on it. I don't remember how the leg position was, but it was only a 20 minute ride.
I added risers to the K1600, and have the seat in the "hi" position (but it is a low seat). I think a taller seat (I am able to put both balls of feet down right now, probably tiptoe if I get a taller seat).
And yes, I loved the look of the K bikes since I saw one.
I got to ride @jfink's K1600 GTL when we went to the Sisters a few years ago (just rode it from the River Inn to Hunt to eat) and fell in love with the power of it then.

@AllByteNoBark, thanks. Hope at least tomorrow morning is good, have another ~4 hour loop planned towards Clinton and Marshall

@gixxerjasen, that's funny. I was definitely at my limit on 123, the bike was not holding me back. Maybe next time I come back I will have more seat time on the bike and can push it harder.
I never felt at any time that I was over my head, but a few corners I misjudged and was too hot, but the brakes on the 1600 are well up to the task. That and yelling at myself in my head "lean more".

I did run up to Mt Nebo. Amazing views from up there.
View attachment 362965

View attachment 362964

View attachment 362966

View attachment 362967

View attachment 362968

And the road up there, well, it actually scared me a little bit.
First really sharp curve uphill I was still in 3rd, not realizing how steep it was. I almost bogged it down, but was able to feather the clutch to get it up and around the corner. Was actually afraid I was going to stall and drop it.
After that, made sure I was in second coming around those sharp uphill curves (1st gear on the right handers).
Rest of the way up was ok, but took all my attention. Cant imagine towing a trailer up that hill.
Really cool state park up there though.
Ride back down was fun, was coasting most of the way down, using engine braking as needed, was getting up to 60MPH on some of the longer downhill parts, some grades were up to 18%. Just crazy.
Mt Nebo is cool, were there any hang gliders out that day? we used to ride up and hang out and watch those guys

Not far from there is Petit Jean mountain and the Mid America Antique Auto Museum

So made it home without any issues. The ride was tiring, but not horrible.
Weather started out a bit cool and humid (but not cold at all, upper 50's) and was up to 90 by the time I got home.
Did not do anything yesterday. Was raining till about 1 or so, and as I said, front tire was looking shot.
How shot I did not realize. In the rain pic above, you can see all black. Edges were smooth up to my chicken strips, but the center was still solid.
When I stopped for fuel in Atlanta, I noticed I had some spots of cord showing on the left side (when sitting on bike) of the tire. Well, crap. I am 250 miles from home, and nowhere near any bike shop. Said a little prayer and kept going, trying to keep the bike as upright as possible and at or just below the speed limit.
So again, made it home, but oh my goodness, my tire is really shot.
IMG_9536.jpg

Said another prayer of thanks when saw this.
I know they say the roads in Arkansas are hard on tires, but wow.

Looking through the receipts I got from @cdc, last front tire receipt was from back in 2019 and the bike had ~54,500 miles, so if it is the same tire, it got some good life out of it (~11,000 miles), I just happened to use every last bit of it. It is a Michelin Pilot 4, so may get another one, but not sure yet.

Overall a really good trip. First time I have had a "home base" to ride out of, and it was kind of nice not having to haul all my stuff with me. I could tell even with my fat butt on it that all my gear was weighing the bike down more when I was coming up AR 7 the first day.
Still quite a few roads I did not get to ride, so more for next time.
Was hoping for a bit cooler weather, but was not too bad overall, and just 1 day of rain (which was a nice rest day). Leaves were just starting to turn colors on a few trees, and a few others were just starting to drop them.
I think my only gripe is many of these roads are "regular" roads with quite a bit of traffic, and even some of the less used roads had a lot of logging trucks on them.

I am still not 100% that this bike is for me.
I love the power, and this was the most fun I have had riding any motorcycle.
But the ergonomics are just not quite there. My shoulders and neck are aching today, and my rear as well still, but my knee was fine all day.

Back