• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mason, Texas BBQ Joints

Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Last Name
Brogden
Has anyone eaten at either of the BBQ joints in Mason, TX? Coopers on one end of town, Texas Deadwood on the other.

This’ll be blasphemy to some folks, but I’ve never cared for Coopers.

:duck:

Haven’t tried Deadwood but that’s where I’d head if I wanted bbq and was in Mason.

But where I’d really go is Santos Taqueria.

Thanks! What's your favorite meal at Santos Taqueria?

I dunno, everything I’ve tried has been good. Don’t forget to try their different salsas. Yummy and fresh.

I quit Coopers years ago.....not necessarily cuz of the quality of the Q.....mainly for their inability to listen to what youre telling them when ordering.
(I'd like a 1/4lb of brisket & 1/4lb of pork loin)
They've given me almost a half lb of each several times.....I cant eat that much any more.
I asked the clerk inside to reduce the portion ....but the price still seemed to stay high.

Last edited:
Last coopers I had tasted like it was a week old, very gamey tasting and very salty.

Coopers went downhill well before the franchise effort if you ask me.

Agree with Coopers being crap. Very expensive and it's just bbq. Stopped and ate there with some others from here on a ride a few months back. Twenty dollars got me seven pork ribs, a small cole slaw, ice tea and a few coins. Left hungry but wasn't about to spend another $20 there.

Brisket used to be garbage meat until someone realized if you cook it long enough and cover it up with other stuff it's edible but in reality, I think it's still best left for the Spam factory. Can't believe what a brisket goes for these days at the meat market or HEB. It's insane. Then add to the price the 24 pack of Natty for Bubba while he cooks it, a can of chew, plus wages and it gets out of hand to eat bbq.

Second for Santos and Willow Creek is pretty good too.

Brisket used to be garbage meat until someone realized if you cook it long enough and cover it up with other stuff it's edible but in reality, I think it's still best left for the Spam factory

Ooooow, now there's a controversial topic in Texas. I'm in the "BBQ = Brisket" camp. Everything else is grilled meat (which can still be yummy). But, I also didn't know what brisket could be until eating at Franklin, and then later at Snow's. For me, really good brisket can't be beat - and all other brisket is kinda worth skipping.

Agree with Coopers being crap. Very expensive and it's just bbq. Stopped and ate there with some others from here on a ride a few months back. Twenty dollars got me seven pork ribs, a small cole slaw, ice tea and a few coins. Left hungry but wasn't about to spend another $20 there.

Brisket used to be garbage meat until someone realized if you cook it long enough and cover it up with other stuff it's edible but in reality, I think it's still best left for the Spam factory. Can't believe what a brisket goes for these days at the meat market or HEB. It's insane. Then add to the price the 24 pack of Natty for Bubba while he cooks it, a can of chew, plus wages and it gets out of hand to eat bbq.

Second for Santos and Willow Creek is pretty good too.
Step away from your keyboard until you can think clearly.

Step away from your keyboard until you can think clearly.

Ha ha. I knew this might have a few strong felt reactions for or against. I stand by my thoughts on it though. Having a taste for top quality steak, I just can't find enjoyment in bbq personally. For the cost of a modest meal at any local bbq joint around here, I can go to the local meat market and buy a nice hand cut American Wagyu steak with beautiful marbling and grill it to rare perfection.

Haven’t tried Deadwood but that’s where I’d head if I wanted bbq and was in Mason.

I will try Deadwood here soon and see. As for Coopers, the last time I went was in Llano. My food was purchased by another rider and it was subpar. That was years ago not trying it again. That was the second time and both tries were not worthy of their past praises by folks.

Coopers switched to the automated Southern Pride smokers many years ago, same ones Rudy's uses. https://www.southernpride.com/

Funny story, when I was a kid (many decades ago), I used to go into Cooper's with my grandfather when in town and he would give him crap that if he wanted to learn how to cook real BBQ to come on out to the house.

Well, y'all remember to report back here with your reviews

Made it into Mason about 1:15 today...

Texas deadwood BBQ

It's a small brown shack bld, along the edge of the road by the Dairy Queen.

They had two signs
One by the edge of the road read " BBQ 4 sale"
The other sign one on the door read "sold out"

So the three of us overpaid at coopers, but I was full.

and then shortly after I baptized the vstrom 650 in the James River crossing breaking the front brake lever and right front turn signal,
on the positive side of that calamity the water felt really nice. 😆

We will try again to sample there BBQ.

Made it into Mason about 1:15 today...

Texas deadwood BBQ

It's a small brown shack bld, along the edge of the road by the Dairy Queen.

They had two signs
One by the edge of the road read " BBQ 4 sale"
The other sign one on the door read "sold out"

So the three of us overpaid at coopers, but I was full.

and then shortly after I baptized the vstrom 650 in the James River crossing breaking the front brake lever and right front turn signal,
on the positive side of that calamity the water felt really nice. 😆

We will try again to sample there BBQ.
Sorry to hear about the James River mis-adventure. We must have just missed you. We didn't have any problems at all (but we were in the Jeep!). It's been a long time since I've ridden that - once on an street legal XR400 and once on a KLR. I always thought it was a crap shoot if you made it all the way across incident free!

To be totally honest, one of the guys with us didn't wanna try it, and asked me to take his SV650 across for him first, which I did and it went perfectly.

But after I walked back across to get my vstrom...

I flopped on the south Bank, the last hump coming out to the down stream side... right in the slick stuff... just lost the line.

Wasn't the first flop in that water hole, probably not the last...

And new parts are coming.

Ha ha. I knew this might have a few strong felt reactions for or against. I stand by my thoughts on it though. Having a taste for top quality steak, I just can't find enjoyment in bbq personally. For the cost of a modest meal at any local bbq joint around here, I can go to the local meat market and buy a nice hand cut American Wagyu steak with beautiful marbling and grill it to rare perfection.
You're a transplant from Connecticut aren't you? Go on, admit it! :lol2:

Back