• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek 2008 - the good, the bad, & the ugly

About half of the shots inside restaurants are with flash. Most of the "dessert" pics and the ones inside the Lopez are with. Most "entree" shots are without. No flash fill on any exterior shots. Nikon D40 with the kit lens - 18-55 f1:3.5

Stock flash in the body or an external unit?

Tell you wife the girl on the trip has 4 bikes and the guys must try to keep up!

Delores
Touring - BMW K1200GT
Dual Sport - KLR 650
Fancy Girly Bike - V-Star 650 Classic
For Sale Bike - Harley 883R
Correction.....one of the girls on the trip. Sorry Anna. Have a great ride girl! Maybe one day I can ride like you. What an adventure!
Delores

It is sort of like when you buy her jewelry. You buy her jewelry and she does something nice for you. You do something nice for her.....she buys you a motorcycle.

Man, this trip looks like a blast. I hope I'm still able to do something like this when my son is old enough to do it with me, cause I am so in. And I know he will be. He's only 5 and wants to go now.

Great story and photos! :thumb:

I know you are all wanting to know about Jim Knight the rider who broke his collarbone. I hope he doesn't mind me filling you all in since you were so kind.

I don't know him that well so I don't know if I have overstepped my boundries here but hey....we are all bikers and I am sure he would appreciate a visit or call.

I am a nurse,

Well, I am not much of a dual-sporter, but I'll have you know that if I did one of these rides, I would want Delores along! :clap: Kudos to ya for watching out after an injured rider. :thumb:

Thanks Chuck. It is just what we fellow riders do. Could not have done it without your truck. What a wild ride! Best rollercoaster I have ever been on!

Man, this trip looks like a blast. I hope I'm still able to do something like this when my son is old enough to do it with me, cause I am so in. And I know he will be. He's only 5 and wants to go now.

Awesome man. My 2 year old daughter allready loves riding around in the field with daddy, wearing her pink Dora the Explorer bicycle helmet. :mrgreen:

I forsee a great riding buddys in the future.

Std. "flip up" flash in the body.

Does the D40 take the Nikon D lenses? I still have all my lenses from my N70. I also have the SB-26 external flash. Then I have a bunch of 52mm filters. It would be cool if I could use all that on the D40.

Well.....as most of you guys know....I broke a rib or two on this trip. It is now time for me to suck up the vanity and go to the doctor. As most of you who have broken ribs know...the time during the initial break is bearable but about a week later, intercostitis sets in and it is extremely painful. So....off I go to the MD. :giveup:
But...not to worry...to keep the stats down on motorcycle related injuries, I will report this one as a sexy underwear related injury. **** underwire bras!!:lol2: I wear all the armor I can and I am injured by my bra!

Does the D40 take the Nikon D lenses? I still have all my lenses from my N70. I also have the SB-26 external flash. Then I have a bunch of 52mm filters. It would be cool if I could use all that on the D40.

It is my understanding that all older Nikkor lenses will fit the D40 and take pictures - however only the AF-S and AF-I series lenses allow use of the autofocus feature.

The kit 18-55 lens is 52mm - so all of your filters should work. Of course you could also buy the sweet new Nikkor 18-200 VR lens and then you wouldn't have to worry about carrying all of that extra equipment around. :trust:

We parked at the Airport ,extended stay area ,it cost 5.00 per day - truck and trailer included ... thats dang cheap and it is gated and guarded .
Rick M
So, for you guys who trailered to McAllen, where did you park? How much did it cost? Security?

Thanks

I was going to park at the airport too, but ended up leaving my truck/trailer at the Motel 6 with the permission of the manager. Not gated or locked but my vehicle was fine.

So, for you guys who trailered to McAllen, where did you park? How much did it cost? Security?

Thanks

There is also an Economy parking area at the McAllen airport that cost only $3 a day, it has the same gated security. It's just down from the long term parking.

Here's a link to their site. Link

Thanks guys.
I was also pointed towards a Rennaissance hotel in the area with good parking... $10/day

The economy parking at the airport is a better deal for me and is closer to the Pharr crossing.

Thanks

Lloyd,
I agree with jerry Syntec is the way to go. I have them on my strom. Two settings high and low - no need for any type of thermostat. Work great-
under $30.00
cotton

Thanks Jerry and Cotton,
Syntec is in my budget. I will try to install them myself.

Uncle, I don't know why the big guys and the white haired guys (Meeltone) got the hugs. It must be the "Santa Claus" thing.

Pink:clap:

Oh man i have to go on this next time. I have another DRZ now plus my Strom is all done up in full battle gear now so having a proper ride is not going to be an issue. I want to shake the guys hand who drove the DRZ from Dallas to Austin.... now that is EPIC!!!

Back