• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek: May 27-30, 2010, Galeana, Mexico

??? What happens if you don't use it and just toss it in the trash? Some problem on a subsequent trip?

Or do they send the tourist police after you and drag your butt down there?

The only way to cancel a permit is to have the vehicle inspected and photographed on the Mexican side of the border, at the station. Failure to do this, even if you never ever went to Mexico, implies you imported a vehicle into the country for sale and you lose your deposit. Since import is illegal for anyone but Mexican nationals, and the taxes are high, this is not a laughing matter. :giveup: You lose the right to EVER import a vehicle into Mexico for tourist duty again without first proving your innocence in a court of law. (innocent until proven guilty...not) My brother sat in a US bound border line for 6+ hours when his friend realized his permit expired the last day of summer vacation and they took a day trip from SA to MX to cancel it.:eek2:

I can't deliver a lecture at Mexico's foremost university on the finer aspects of quantum physics, but I can deal in the language fairly well.

We'll make sure your experience crossing the border (both ways) is painless.

I can vouch. This guy makes friends wherever he goes. Trice is your bro.

But the border process is relatively painless if you bring all your copies. It's also a good time to hit the exchange houses and get your $250 worth of Pesos. The rates are best here at the border, so why not. And they are on the highway from the Motel 6 to the border crossing.

Montemorelos / Reyones / Galeana:

Mextrek2009029.jpg

Mextrek2009044.jpg

Mextrek2009076.jpg

Mextrek2009080.jpg

Mextrek2009071.jpg

....My thought is to leave Houston on Wednesday at noon, cross the border at 6 or 7 after saying hi to the group, and picking up extra luggage in McAllen, hit the aduana (border station??) with the TWTEX group, and go straight to Galeana that night. I figure it's about 12 hours including the border crossing, so I'd plan for a midnight arrival. I did the reverse route, half on a bike, with a 1 hour border cross, and it took 11 hours. FYI, This part of Mexico is pretty safe, I have no worries.

Day two we could sleep in a bit in Galeana, do some class 3/4 short loop, eat lunch, and take the easy 10 mile class one to Reyones, meet up with the rest of the group there (they do McAllen to Reyones in a pack and then split into groups for 3 or 4 routes to Galeana), and ride the northern route with Richard around to the dual sport double dragon. This is a 5 hour ride that cannot be missed. It's phenomenal scenery and fun as heck.

.....I ride hard, make quick decisions about routes, don't use GPS, and could care less if we get lost,
Peter

I like your plan. I was going to drive to McAllen and ride across, but I am leaning toward trucking it. A rider from last year recommended it - primarily because self-evac is more feasible. And I can get in Wednesday night, ride the area Thursday.

I'm leaving first thing Wednesday so I should be sleeping off cervezas you get in.

Prepping the machine. Still two months away and peeps are ready to go !!!:rider:

Prepping the machine. Still two months away and peeps are ready to go !!!:rider:

I hear that... I'm started this week to prep my bike and myself for TAR and I've been eying this trip really hard. I tested the idea out with the lady and the sensational media reports have her thinking I'd never come back. So how did yall sell your other halves? I showed her the Acerbis Koerta armor I ordered and her response was... "Does it stop bullets?" heh

Vinny , I'll be on the 1984 R80GS .... Installed a lightened Husky front end last night. Already trashed / removed any un necessary items to get the weight down. Installing new wheel bearings and tires today.

What are you riding this year ??

Re: Mexican tourist visa

I've done my vehicle paperwork at the Mexican consulate in Austin for the past few years. Each time I'm there I pick up the tourist visa paperwork from the Austin consulate but have had to physically complete the form and get my visa at the border. It would be excellent if that process had changed and we could get both vehicle permit and tourist visa at the consulate.

I confirmed today that you cannot get your Mexican tourist visa at the Mexican Consulate. You can only get it at the border. :deal:

Also, if you get the TVIP (Temporary Vehicle Import Permit) and decide not to go on the trip you can return the TVIP to the consulate only if it is before the start date issued on the TVIP. If it is on or after the start date, you must return it at the border. I didn't ask what happens if you never return it but I think tricepilot covered that in an earlier post. :thumb:

I hear that... I'm started this week to prep my bike and myself for TAR and I've been eying this trip really hard. I tested the idea out with the lady and the sensational media reports have her thinking I'd never come back. So how did yall sell your other halves? I showed her the Acerbis Koerta armor I ordered and her response was... "Does it stop bullets?" heh

Gotta do it Lubke. I think they just rush the border on ratty looking dirtbikes and blow through to the south. The narcos probably don't figure it's worth the high cost of ammo these days to ventilate anybody :).

My wifey hasn't voiced any concern but I know she probably has some...

Tell her you're crossing the border with 40+ riders in the early AM when all the bandits are sleeping off their drunk from the night before and that you'll be long gone before they wake up. :lol2:

Personally, I don't think there is much to worry about. Anything can happen at any time, any where. Doesn't mean you should be stupid but...

Tell her you'll exercise good judgment and wisdom and plan on staying out of trouble. :deal:

You're right - get your tourist visa at the border. However, please get it done prior to our departure time on Thursday morning. It only takes a few minutes to do per person, but trying to do it as a group it can easily delay the group for two or more hours, hence the reason I tell everyone to do it before the group leaves on Thur morning.

They are open late so I normally just get it done on Wed evening when I get to McAllen. That has always worked well for me.
So do you go into Mexico on the bike Wednesday evening and turn right around and come back into the US or is there another way you do it?
Also, about how long does it take to come back in?

might as well check out the new bridge when you go Wednesday night....

So do you go into Mexico on the bike Wednesday evening and turn right around and come back into the US...

Yes, that's how you do it. Ride or drive across, do your paperwork and then ride/drive back into the US.

A few minutes if it's late in the evening. 1 - 1.5 hours if you do it during the day.

So do you go into Mexico on the bike Wednesday evening and turn right around and come back into the US or is there another way you do it?

The large majority of riders will arrive in the afternoon on Wednesday, cross, get their tourist visa if they need it, and come back to the Texas side for the night. Crossing time depends on traffic and time of day, but usually about 30 to 45 minutes (most bridge fast lanes are the far right lane).

The riders who don't do this, and cross on Thursday needing their tourist visa, should form their own group if desired, since as Richard says, this slows down the riders who have their TVIP (hopefully done online) and their visa in hand.

Tip: when doing any border paperwork bring reading glasses and a pen in addition to everything else, as you will find neither at the kiosks inside the aduana.

Alternatively, there is an almost new Holiday Inn Express on MX 40 on the outskirts of Reynosa. You could conceiveably get your tourist visa in the late afternoon and start towards Galeana on 40, and stop for the night at the Holiday Inn. This will save you lots and lots of time on Thursday or whenever you cross. Look for it on the right as you head out of the main part of town in Reynosa.

I was referred here by the advrider group, and I am glad as this looks like exactly what I need! I will be sending my money in tomorrow and hope to meet some folks and make some friends. I would also be more than willing to bring plenty of medical supplies and be the paramedic for the group if one is needed. I really look forward to the ride!

Im looking at being able to go. Just wanted to suggest going across on the new anzalduas bridge. By taking this bridge you completely bypass reynosa, makes for a much faster crossing. For my paperwork i usually go to the pharr bridge since the offices are less busy and easier to get around in the offices and such plus usually has a lot less traffic.

A couple of questions for you guys.

What are the groups that are going to be formed once down there? Im in to offroad stuff but nothing real hardcore. I usually run a mild dual sport tire like a Shinko 705 and want to keep it to nice scenic roads and nothing too hardcore. Maybe next year ill trade the shinkos for some D606's.

I guess i need to order an ADV sticker since i promised one to the galeana cops for their honda 250 the last time i was there!

What are the groups that are going to be formed once down there? Im in to offroad stuff but nothing real hardcore. I usually run a mild dual sport tire like a Shinko 705 and want to keep it to nice scenic roads and nothing too hardcore. Maybe next year ill trade the shinkos for some D606's.

There are a ton of class 2 roads all over the place and that's what most groups ride. A few groups usually seek out the class 3 (or 4) stuff. Based on your description you shouldn't have a finding others to ride with.

There are a ton of class 2 roads all over the place and that's what most groups ride. A few groups usually seek out the class 3 (or 4) stuff. Based on your description you shouldn't have a finding others to ride with.

Cool! Thanks for that. Also since i live here in edinburg i can help out wednesday afternoon/evening for anybody needing help getting permits/visas. Tambien hablo espanol.

Wow, those pics posted by Shadman have got me totally stoked and cant wait to go again this year, last year's ride was awesome! Revervation made at Magdelena and money on way to Richard soon.

The Only Class 4 Ride in the Inventory

A few groups usually seek out the class 3 (or 4) stuff.

While it may be true that a percentage actively seeks the class 3 routes, until the last MexTrek, nobody knew of any class 4 route.

Until now, one didn't exist.

The Unknown Ride was just that, unclassified and unknown. Now, it's definitely a class 4, in fact, the only class 4 route on MexTrek, TAR, or in Big Bend.

We actually "stumbled" into the Unknown Ride. Or, "survived" it is a better description. For the first large chunk of it, it actually seemed like a literal "walk in the park".

Anybody thinking they're going to prove their mojo by going to Galeana and doing this route, be forewarned. I'd only repeat this route with with something that can serve as back country overnight gear, like a bivi or at least a tarp, and make sure you have enough tools and mechanical experience to revive drowned (or worse) motorcycles. We had at least, I think, 3 dead motorcycles that needed CPR, and this doesn't include any tire issues. Ask Wayland or Milton what I'm talking about.

Of special note: there is one water crossing that actually cannot be crossed with a motorcycle under power. You have to shut off the bike, and 2 or 3 riders have to push the bike through a deep water pit, just about covering the seat on most bikes. Future attemps at crossing in this area may be more successful if a way across the river up or downstream is located.

Of all the routes on MexTrek, this route requires serious teamwork. There is a definite satisfaction in having made the ride. The mechanicals drove the timeline back to late in the day, and then it started to rain and the trails became muddy and slick, and at that time, there will still many water crossings to deal with. Most riders were low or out of water, food, and most had minimal if any survival gear and few if any had any first aid supplies. Ask Richard, Shadman, Wayland or any of the other riders who got home late that day, in the rain and dark and cold, to their warm and brightly lit hotel in Galeana.

The one larger group had to actually split into two groups, since the first "half" of the group were concentrating on getting Milton's motorcycle started, then the second group, which went on ahead, themselves were delayed by a KLR that drowned in the river. That group later followed the first group's tire tracks to find the little town of San Francisco. And finding that town required discussion with a local village resident.

At the abarrotes in San Francisco, most riders were stripping off their cold, wet shirts and putting on anything warm. Many riders didn't have spare gear, so we "borrowed" plastic sheeting from the owner, and left town with it flapping in the wind.

I just wanted to clarify Richard's comment about waking up and deciding to do a class 4 route at MexTrek. Now that this ride is "discovered", take advantage of this and other recon notes. This ride deserves its class 4 designation. You really need to let people know that this is your task so someone knows that you're out there. Make sure you have a minimum of survival gear, something like a tarp and something to start a fire with. You may be staying overnight and you may be walking out of there. Of course, the same principles apply to any backcountry motorcycle adventure.

Not trying to sound dramatic, but I think every rider that did this ride will agree, now that the Unknown is Known, and since it is the only class 4 offering out there, go ahead and now to make this your right of passage, but just know that it's a big leap from the MexTrek class 2 and 3 rides.

Form a team, inventory your gear and your skills, then have at it and enjoy this class 4 challenge, if you so elect.

And good luck, too.

The unknown is almost like my favorite mountain bike ride in Texas, the Barton Creek Greenbelt in Austin. Probably a class 4 with water, class 3 if dry? Certainly the nicest part of Mexico I've ever seen.

For the guy with the Shinkos, you should be fine on 95% of the roads down there. I am going Shinko this year so I can have more fun on the beautiful concrete, and still be able to get down all the trails. Flats were few and far between, so I'm comfortable on the 705's.

To put it in perspective, most (95%) of the roads in the ride guide are regularly traversed by locals in 1970's two wheel drive pickups with bald tires and white delivery ford minivans. Of course, at 10 MPH it's fine for them. Bike speeds range from leisurely to slipping, sliding, careening, jumping, splashing, wheelieing and panic braking. I think you could ride a full on streetbike on street tires on most of the roads. But you'd not be keeping up.

Group selection is weird, kinda like eating lunch the first day of junior high. Some folks are surprisingly fast, others surprisingly slow, but it doesn't really matter.

Back