• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek, Oct 22-25, 2008

Richard ,
I mailed off a check for 70.00 and two forms today . Rick M and Big A are in and ready to go to Mexico . :rider:
thanks Rick .

Rick,

Good call. You guys are going to have a blast. Gonna ride the TransAlp?

Sure ,
I plan on riding the Transalp , I just sold my 2003 KLR because I like the Transalp better . I have money down on the new BMW 800 gs but if the Transalp keeps me happy ,I am 12,000 dollars better off .
Rick
Do you think its a bad idea to take to Mexico ? I will check it over with a fine tooth comb before I leave . Even have an extra cdi unit on the bike .

Sure ,
I plan on riding the Transalp...Do you think its a bad idea to take to Mexico ?

I think it will be fine, but to be fair I've never ridden one. Just to be sure, let me borrow yours for a few weeks. I'll personally ride it all over the hill country to test out its capabilities. :trust:

Seriously though, I think it will be fine.

Sure ,
I plan on riding the Transalp , I just sold my 2003 KLR because I like the Transalp better . I have money down on the new BMW 800 gs but if the Transalp keeps me happy ,I am 12,000 dollars better off .
Rick
Do you think its a bad idea to take to Mexico ? I will check it over with a fine tooth comb before I leave . Even have an extra cdi unit on the bike .

I keep trying to convince my wife (and to a certain extent, myself) to let me go. If I do, I'll be on the transalp. I have a spare cdi that I would carry too. Other than that I would just have normal spare type items, tubes, levers, some oil. Make sure your battery is topped off with water. I discovered mine was extremely low last week. The TA's have a tendency to overcharge (old connections get dirty). I'm going to check over all the electical connections soon when I check the valves. And hopefully borrow a carb sync tool and do that too.

Looking for parking?

Me and right now one other maybe two others are look to go down some were on the boarder park our trucks and tralers some were safe for the week. What we are hoping to do is get down there the Saturday before and go acrouse on Sunday ride down the coast and were ever till wednesday. Then ride on over to Galeana check in. Can eney one tell me of a good place to park and tell of some good places to check out? And if some of ya'll might like to ride with us let me know.
Winer & new to dirt riding need not apply

Attachments

• IMG_3750.jpg
    IMG_3750.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 236
Looking for parking?

Me and right now one other maybe two others are look to go down some were on the boarder park our trucks and tralers some were safe for the week.

Check out the McAllen Airport economy parking.

I've spoken with the folks that run the parking lots for the McAllen airport & also with the Airport Police and I think the airport economy parking lot might be a good choice to secure a vehicle and/or trailer.

The economy parking lot is gated & lighted (and presumably monitored). $3 per day per parking spot (figure a truck & trailer combo will take 2 spots = $6 per day). 24/7 access.

Last edited:
skup,i'm riding my 1200gs to mexico, so if you ride yours, you won't be the only one. :rider: i rode the worst roads during the junction trip, and didn't have any trouble, well except for one really slimey creek crossing:doh:

skup,i'm riding my 1200gs to mexico, so if you ride yours, you won't be the only one. :rider: i rode the worst roads during the junction trip, and didn't have any trouble, well except for one really slimey creek crossing:doh:

Fear not. There will be plenty of routes for the larger ADV/DS motos in the region. You'll have plenty of company also.

Plus, if you truly get stuck, which you won't, you simply camp and make coffee. :eat: It's that easy.

Bob
:chug:

I too might camp at least one night. Thinking back on last year we rode at amost two hours at night to make Rayones . The higher elevations felt like it was 40 degrees. This year i will have camping gear. :rider:

Hmmm, camp and make coffee! I like it!

I have met the first goal, I bought a 2002 KLR with hardly a scratch, no visible or discernible faults, and less than 10,000 miles. I started on the gravel, dirt, loose sand, grass, and pavement this morning and have started ordering farkles. So far, tank bag (Wolfman Enduro) and crash bars. Thinking about a seat. I have a Rick Mayer on my BMW, so maybe that, a Russell, or a Sergent.

I'll be hoping to meet riders from the DFW area. The incentive I can offer is my place in Kaufman County has some off road and gravel/dirt roads in the area.

I sent for my packet. I'm in.

db

Fear not. There will be plenty of routes for the larger ADV/DS motos in the region. You'll have plenty of company also.

Plus, if you truly get stuck, which you won't, you simply camp and make coffee. :eat: It's that easy.

Bob
:chug:

Sounds good. Looking forward to the trip. I was thinking of getting some off road tires for the trip. Any recommendations for the GS?

Sounds good. Looking forward to the trip. I was thinking of getting some off road tires for the trip. Any recommendations for the GS?

Continental TKC-80. Great 50/50 dual sport tire.

ditto on the tkc-80 tire, i ran one on my gs in junction, works great!! not too noisey on pavement, and works real well in the dirt.

Registration is in the mail. I'm getting to old to pass up this opportunity. Mexico has been on my mind for many years. I hope my Tourance tires will be sufficiant. I don't want to ride knobbies on my GS from Baytown to Galeana Mexico.

Hey Martin,
Glad to see your signed up. The list is getting better by the moment. The Tourance should do well. I have used Anakees for much of the area. I will be trying a set of TK80's just for kicks. I do not have much experience with knobbies. Regards, Pancho (RGVHD-RE)

I will be riding knobbies on my new KLR, but I believe I'm going to take the couple of days before the start off from work. I'm my own boss, so I can do that. I will leave the DFW area Sat or Sun and go to Austin and spend the night with my sister, whom I have not seen for a while, then on down towards the border on Sun or Monday.

I figure 300 or less miles per day should make it pretty easy.

I would like to hook up with others before or at the border. Anyone interested? My plans are very flexible so I would change them to accommodate others as long as they aren't riding all the way to Galeana from DFW in one day.

"I don't want to ride knobbies on my GS from Baytown to Galeana Mexico."

Heard that !!! There are all kinds of surfaces for all kinds of bikes
down there. Just depends how gnarly you wanna get. There are scenic paved roads at altitude and scenic unpaved roads at 7000' with switchbacks:rider up the side combined with steep vertical climbs and no guardrails. Its gonna be fun !!! :rider:

Not too mention that eating place in Galeana with the delicious food and salsa!!!!!!!:eat: :eat: :eat: :trust:

Hey Martin,
Glad to see your signed up. The list is getting better by the moment. The Tourance should do well. I have used Anakees for much of the area. I will be trying a set of TK80's just for kicks. I do not have much experience with knobbies. Regards, Pancho (RGVHD-RE)

Hey Pancho, didn't know that was you. They're a lot of Pancho's around McAllen. Maybe I can meet up with you around the border and ride from there.
Late amigo

Not too mention that eating place in Galeana with the delicious food and salsa!!!!!!!:eat: :eat: :eat: :trust:

Mmmm, I had forgotten about that place. Thanks for the reminder.

I must have forgotten about it because of all the Caguama. :-P

Richard- any jetting advise? I rode my Husky TE610 last year in Terlingua, probably up to 3-4 thousands feet max, with stock jetting with no problems. I've since got a JD jet kit, and wondered if I'll have to rejet at Galeana if planning on doing Mt. Potosi? Less power and running a bit rough I don't care about, but if it just flat out is going to die and not restart then I need to be prepared though I'd rather not do this in the hotel parking lot if not absolutely needed.

Also is cenote Pozo del Gavilán near Galeana? I thought it was but can't pinpoint an exact location onthe web and didn't see any of the routes in your guidebook (sweet as it is!) talk about it.

Back