• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Montana 2015...

Sunday, July 26, 2015
To: Denver, CO
Miles: 0

Today was a down day for me….. Denver sure is nice in the early morning, but I forgot how hot it can get so quickly. Man, by 10am it was getting on the warm side. We decided it would be fun to run into Evergreen for lunch and walk around so off we headed.

Coming into this sleepy little village…
i-drnnnt6-XL.jpg

We wound up starting the day with ice cream. Can’t say I’ve done that before. Then it was a walk around the town.

I thought the smiley face on the walk/don’t walk sign was kind of interesting and a bit on the funny side
i-dJSqLXg-XL.jpg

This guy was in front of the coffee shop next to the ice cream shop
i-nNSwmTq-XL.jpg

The dam at Lake Evergreen
i-dQrLNmz-XL.jpg

…and the lake on the other side. Turns out this lake had some serious overflowing a few months ago with all the rain and then flooding which took out a part of the town
i-w4vLqs2-XL.jpg

We wound up at the Little Bear Saloon. I had no idea how much history was in this little dive bar. There were marketing posters for a ton of big names who had played that venue.

i-RFCnbg7-XL.jpg

i-mxcmr3X-XL.jpg

While there gal behind the bar said “hey, want to try some bloody mary’s "no charge"? I think they’re too hot and I 'gotta get it right for customers today”. Sure! So it wasn’t even noon yet and a couple bloody mary’s were in front of us. “I like ‘em a bit hot like this” was my reply but my friend said “it’s too hot”. So the bar tender toned down the mix a bit and made a couple more and they were just right. We wandered around the bar a bit more then decide to go upstairs and people watch on the main drag and ordered yep, another one. That’s probably another first for me - ok it is – three bloody mary’s before 1pm.

First one, spicy and hot as she used Tabasco AND Siricha with a good dose of pepper
i-TBwvBBT-XL.jpg

Then a couple more just to make sure the day’s recipe was ‘right’ for customers. It was. :-)
i-fwhz7Kc-XL.jpg

The people watching was good. There’s a lot of riders that run through Evergreen. Bicycles and motorized versions of all varieties, mostly of the Harley type. But there were Beemers, Duc’s, Goldwings, Triumphs and a slew of dirt/off-road bikes in the mix.

The clouds were building on the hit or miss showers so we decided to beat-feet back to Denver and avoid I70 inbound traffic back to town. We found ourselves at yet another little dive biker bar called the Piper Inn and ate a late lunch before calling it a day.

Note the bloody mary specials on Sunday…. (no, it was beer and wings this time)
i-BTk3hGj-XL.jpg

A quick dip in the pool to cool off, catch up on some laundry and ride reports/pic processing was about all the additional fun I could stand for the day.

Denver is nice, but wayyyy too many people/too much traffic for my tastes.

Tomorrow brings steak and eggs for breakfast along with a scenic (hopefully) trip to Fairplay CO to visit more friends for a few days.

Stay tuned. The inter-webs were good here but I have no idea what I’ll have the next few days.

Wow! Great pictures and write-up. Very enjoyable journey. Justin still looks like...well, Justin. Sure miss having him around here as part of our trips.

Thank you for taking the time to put this together. This is motivating me to get off my duff and go for a ride.

When you get to Fairplay do not stand up on the pegs to stretch out the monkey butt... If memory serves there is a ghost town just to the south between Fairplay and i-25 that would be a great photo op.

Keep having fun!

lol.... I'm in Fairplay now for a few days. I'll ask my buddy about it.

We're headed there tmr!

Last edited:
Great report Scott!

Love seeing the beautiful country, wonderful pictures as always!

Seems like yall had a superb time!

Great trip report Scott. I feel 10 degrees cooler just reading it. Thanks.

Fairplay is way nicer than Denver ;) Thank you for yet another great ride report Scott, and 'suggesting' that Ten Sleep should be added to the bucket list of riding destinations. Further fun and safe travels everyone.

Monday, July 27 2015
To: Fairplay, CO
Miles: 95

That was a good night’s sleep fo-sure. Finally, a pretty solid eight hours for me. Finally. Getting up about 7am, I showered and started gathering/packing gear for the trip to Fairplay and a visit to a couple of very good friends I’ve known since the academy. Before I left, I was treated to a breakfast feast of steak and eggs. Wow. Been a lot of years since I’ve had that for breakfast. Mary was a wonderful hostess....

Colorado and pot. Here’s my take….. I really don’t care who does or doesn’t smoke, but at the apartment in Denver the folks next to and below were heavy pot smokers. The smell permeated the elevators. The smell permeated the hallways. It was nasty. I just didn’t care for it and I’m guessing the apartment owners are in a pickle on how to handle it. IMO, it’s worse than tobacco smells. (off my soapbox now)

I packed the bike and headed out to catch 285 Southwest to Fairplay. The ride was spectacular. Platte Canyon area was beautiful.
i-JxVw7SC-XL.jpg

And I’m a sucker for taking these kind of shots. This was in Grant Canyon
i-GTt6LLV-XL.jpg

Highway 285 was a twisty fun road pretty much the whole time. I had wonderful cool temps and very little threat of rain. Kenosha Pass took me a bit off guard at 10K feet as it was a bit chilly.
i-P9829p9-XL.jpg

When I cleared the pass I thought I’d start descending on the backside like every other pass I’ve experienced. Not this time. As the crest approached, the road dropped about 200 feet and leveled off in a big flat plain area surrounded by mountains on either side. It was spectacular. It was also at this point I left Pike National Forest.
i-mQb4vvF-XL.jpg

i-xRsqpmM-XL.jpg

Riding up to Michel and Buffy’s place this is what I saw…. Oh, and their house is right at 10K feet above sea level. Yeah, it’s nice. ☺
i-7hMztCw-XL.jpg

i-MVqkLBh-XL.jpg

First order of business was to make a firewood run, so Michael and I piled in his friend Jeff’s truck and we headed to another friends place a county road over. They harvest downed Aspen trees for their winter heat. Here’s Jeff cutting the last of this load. It’s a tough life for fuel and heat…..
i-zr3n9tW-XL.jpg

i-KSjVHBN-XL.jpg

And this will be a season’s worth of heat
i-frMmhVZ-XL.jpg

While the guys were cutting their last load, I did a little walk-about and stumbled across these views
i-9hg3jTS-XL.jpg

i-JHTDF4C-XL.jpg

i-CqbkKkP-XL.jpg

i-3L4BHZd-XL.jpg

i-Z9drrn5-XL.jpg

Michael pointed out an elk chew. It’s where the elk chew the aspen tree bark for food on their way back up the mountain from the plains. They can be small or pretty substantial. I was amazed you could see teeth marks in the bark.
i-ps5HhgD-XL.jpg

i-KdhHSkV-XL.jpg

Leaving, we saw a cool painted barn
i-KTb6j3G-XL.jpg

They had a few humming bird feeders so I had to try and shoot those fast little targets….
i-DsrRSrL-XL.jpg

And a squirrel decided to make the birdhouse home
i-gSxLxFz-XL.jpg

We loaded up in the new Jeep and headed into the town of Alma CO which boasts the lower 48’s highest saloon.
i-j6bBg6P-XL.jpg

Saw my first pot shop too
i-5gmqSM2-XL.jpg

For those that don’t know, the Comedy Central series “Southpark” is based on real life in Fairplay. The writers were from here.
i-7cMXLJL-XL.jpg

Buffy and Michael
i-CMfXWPB-XL.jpg

Me and Michael
i-45LCV6n-XL.jpg

After dinner, we ran over to a friend of theirs place to observe the progress on their new house building. It’s going to be an amazing place. It was at this time I reached into my pocket and realized my passport and birth certificate were missing. I’ve kept them in my pocket the entire trip, and now they were gone. I fretted a bit and we went back to the house where I thought ‘maybe I put them in my boot with the bike key'. Whew…. That’s were they were.

With that off my mind, I shot a few of the evening and then called it a night.
i-Pv4q4TR-XL.jpg

Off their back porch…. That's Pikes Peak in the background.
i-d4W4bT7-XL.jpg

i-SFRm9GG-XL.jpg

i-jZjgXkr-XL.jpg

Tomorrow brings a trip with Michael to the vet for a doggie appointment then some stomping around the area.

Once spent the day in Fairplay after limping into town with terrible screeching from the rear of the Impreza, then getting wheel bearings replaced by the mechanic there. It was a good place to hang out for an afternoon and walk around the town while the wrench there beat the Subie into submission.

Very grateful of the mechanic for fitting me in. Nice folks at the Coffee shop nearby as well. Seemed more idyllic than the show Southpark paints it.

Glad to hear you are getting some good sleep finally. Guess my snoring was keeping you up after all. :lol2:

Just caught up on this. What a fantastic ride!

Question though...

i-DtgM3Vn-XL.jpg

What skid plate is that? The plate on mine mounts to the bottom of the crash bars instead of between the bars and engine.

Also, it should be noted, that your oil level appears to be on point. :)

EDIT: Looks like it's a standard GS plate modded to have crash bars bolted through it.

Last edited:
Finally able to read your report. Could not do it on the phone.
Great pictures and writing!

Here is view of our campsite the KOA in Red Lodge, MT
We are on the lower left side of the picture.

Camp20site20Red20Lodge201_zpsgm9vffzl.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent ride report & pics Scott!!!! I'm glad that you were able to meet up with other friends.

Actually none of us really snored. Scott just wasn't sleeping well on the road.

Sounds like me too....chasing elusive sleep. I have started taking Melatonin pills to facilitate better sleep and it seems to be working.

Great ride report! I was dismayed to have learned that Glacier was closed due to a large fire. I thought they had abundant snow melt this spring.

It sounds like you guys did OK escaping the Texas furnace through the panhandle...coming back through it after experiencing the mountain coolness is definitely tough.

pilot.gif

RB

Here is view of our campsite the KOA in Red Lodge, MO

You went through Missouri on the way back? I fear you may be lost.

How did you take that picture?

Here is view of our campsite the KOA in Red Lodge, MO

I camped at that same camp site on my trip. . I camped by the maroon tent on the right. It's a nice place. Snoopster had told me about the guy taking pictures with the Drone. I am glad that he was able to send them to one of yall.

Back