• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motocamping with Green Chile ADV Soft Rack

Reaction score
I have been getting the 350 ready for moto-camping. I decided to try out the Green Chile soft rack. So far, it certainly appears to do the job. But, I have not given it a proper off road test yet. I am curious if anyone else has used the Green Chile ADV Soft Rack and if so, what their impressions were?

greenchile.jpg

I have everything below stored in two 20 liter bags. This keeps me from having to use additional storage like fender bags, tank bags, etc. This is my first time doing this so please feel free to critique the stuff I am planning to take or have not included. Many Thanks!

Travel size toothpaste
Soap
Razor
Deodorant
Toothpaste
Toilet Paper
Baby Wipes

Tire Spoons
KTM Tools
Pliers
Bike Air Pump

Front Tube
Rear Tube
Rear Brake Lever
Gear Shift
Clutch Lever
Front Brake Lever

Tent
Sleeping Bag
Sleeping Pad
Camp Towell

1 pair of jeans
1 pair of shorts
2 pair of riding socks
1 pair short socks
2 pair underwear
1 base layer warm pants
1 base layer warm shirt
1 hoody sweatshirt
1 pair of warm socks
1 pair of shoes

That's a good looking setup. Good to see you've kept the weight low, that's so important to how the bike handles. Prior to leaving for your trip, I would recommend a test ride through some technical hack to make sure how well it stays on the bike.

Your list looks pretty complete. Assume you also carrying necessary gizmo charging cables and adapters. For me, I always carry a small nalgene bottle with Dawn soap to help spoon the tires off the wheels when I fix a flat. Wipe the Dawn on the rim and bead with my finger then add a little water from day pack. I also carry a large black trash bag to put on the ground to lay my tire and wheel on to keep dirt and sand out of the tire change process and the wheel bearings as well. It also come in handy as a mat by my tent door. And depending on how long your going to be gone, (For Me) a camp chair is a luxury I make room for. Your day is divided up into three parts: riding, sleeping, and sitting around camp, might as well be comfortable.

Oh yeah, and a bottle of Visine.

I carry rain gear, and I can wear my rain pants as regular pants, or if I think I need to have regular pants I have some lightweight pants, so I don't have to carry jeans, jeans are heavy and bulky.

Agree to ditching the jeans.

I have a Green Chili set up, for if I ever need to camp off the 250.

Just figuring out all the GC straps is an adventure by itself, lol.

Hope ya get to test your rig soon

I have been trying to go lighter and skinnier on my packing and the GCAG soft rack is up for a test for me also.

Here is my first test with 15L Wolfman Rolie bag.
GCSR 1.jpg

I anchored my strap lower to where the subframe attaches to the main frame to make mine a little more vertical than yours. This helped get it as low as I could.
The only thing I didn't like was as I cinched my straps on the Rolie the GCAG webbing pulled together and didn't give quite the "frame effect" I had hoped for.

I moved the rear attach point at the top of the rack further back and decided to put something between the straps to hold the "V" shape better as I tightened the straps on the Rolie. Below is my cardboard template, I made the final out of some sheet plastic (Like Kydex). I have some slits in my plastic from other luggage setups that I might utilize to further stabilize the load.
GCSR 2.jpg

You can expand this "Quote" and see my comments in red. Remember I'm trying to stay well within the 15L bags. I'm not saying there is a right or wrong way. Different folks have different goals and make compromise in different areas for what they can or can't live with or without.
I have everything below stored in two 20 liter bags. This keeps me from having to use additional storage like fender bags, tank bags, etc. This is my first time doing this so please feel free to critique the stuff I am planning to take or have not included. Many Thanks!

Travel size toothpaste
Soap
Razor
Deodorant
Toothpaste
Toilet Paper I carry TP in my backpack.
Baby Wipes

Tire Spoons In a fender bag up front.
KTM Tools
Pliers
Bike Air Pump I also carry a patch kit, spare master link, spark plug, and a few other misc. spares and tools.

Front Tube I'm currently running an 18" front so I only have one tube.
Rear Tube In the fender bag up front.
Rear Brake Lever Zip Tied to Subframe inside airbox
Gear Shift Zip Tied to Subframe inside airbox
Clutch Lever Zip Tied to Subframe inside airbox
Front Brake Lever Zip Tied to Subframe inside airbox

Tent
Sleeping Bag In it's own 10L dry bag behind seat. Bulk but virtually no weight.
Sleeping Pad
Camp Towell

1 pair of jeans I carry one pair of Magellan/Columbia zip-off pants. https://www.academy.com/p/magellan-...ef_src=kibo_recs_gmc&sku=beige-or-khaki-large No jeans (bulky, heavy, won't dry quick)
1 pair of shorts See above. I zip-off the legs if i want shorts or swim suit.
2 pair of riding socks I only carry one pair of socks; I wear the other pair (Two pair total for a trip)
1 pair short socks

2 pair underwear 1 pair of underware synthetic material. Quick drying (No cotton)
1 base layer warm pants My base layer is LD comfort tights hot or cold, it just works. I carry on pair and wear a pair. If it gets colder than I expect I put on my zip-off pants over these under my riding gear.
1 base layer warm shirt I wear underarmor Heat gear long sleeves. These keep me cool in the heat when they are the outer layer, but hold heat when under my jacket.
1 hoody sweatshirt I carry a light weight puffer coat that packs small. No hood so i add a beanie.
1 pair of warm socks

1 pair of shoes I carry some sort of hiking sandal. These work in camp, in the river or in town and they dry fast.
I can be seen here modeling some of the aforementioned clothing.
1695751216650.png

Lets keep this going and report back with findings and or fixes or tips.

Do you have a fix or tip for dealing with that guy standing next to you in the pic?

Fix...NO

Tips:
1. Make sure he has Dr. Pepper in the a.m.
2. Feed him at least two good meals a day.
3. Make sure he has Coors Light in the p.m.

Those three things will keep him gentle as a lap dog.

Bonus points if you let him camp near water!

I use the Green Chile soft racks, I really like them.
+1 bought my first set from B Rainchild, before he sold the company. Adam and his wife are great folks, will take care of you.
They are so simple, a caveman could operate them...... :thumb: :lol2:

Your brush guards on the handlebars looks pretty beefy... so I'd skip the brake / clutch levers. I'd also skip the rear brake lever - if it brakes off, just use the front :) See if you can get by with only the front tube - I hear you can cram one on a rear wheel in a pinch (pun intended...). Throw some safety wire and a handful of m6 bolts of useful lengths in the kit.

I see no food on the list. For me, I really like hot coffee and oatmeal campside in the mornings. A jetboil and aeropress are cheap and small. I assume water and snacks are obvious, but if not: bring water and snacks.

Clothes: obviously, this depends on weather and how much non-riding activities you're planning. I'd skip jeans and hoodie, and go minimal on the shoes with something like flipflops.

Get a sleeping bag liner - these things are amazing. When it's hot, sleep ON the bag and IN the liner.. or skip the bag all together. Some people bring a camp pillow. I think those people are weird.

There's definitely a learning curve to Green Chili soft rack system but once you get it down it's very secure and easy to load. Packing list looks good except for jeans. I'm in agreement with others comments to replace them with lighter and less bulky nylon pants.

PXL_20230630_160243600.jpg

I use the Green Chile soft racks, I really like them.
Thanks Lane. I appreciate the info and am happy to hear you have good things to say about the soft rack.

Fortunately, my Klim Carlsbad gear also provides rain protection so that is saving me some space.

That's a good looking setup. Good to see you've kept the weight low, that's so important to how the bike handles. Prior to leaving for your trip, I would recommend a test ride through some technical hack to make sure how well it stays on the bike.

Your list looks pretty complete. Assume you also carrying necessary gizmo charging cables and adapters. For me, I always carry a small nalgene bottle with Dawn soap to help spoon the tires off the wheels when I fix a flat. Wipe the Dawn on the rim and bead with my finger then add a little water from day pack. I also carry a large black trash bag to put on the ground to lay my tire and wheel on to keep dirt and sand out of the tire change process and the wheel bearings as well. It also come in handy as a mat by my tent door. And depending on how long your going to be gone, (For Me) a camp chair is a luxury I make room for. Your day is divided up into three parts: riding, sleeping, and sitting around camp, might as well be comfortable.

Oh yeah, and a bottle of Visine.
That is a good idea about taking some dawn and a trash bag to work on. Knowing a few minutes on a rock will have me wishing for a chair, I have still been holding out. I have room and will probably take one along.

Agree to ditching the jeans.

I have a Green Chili set up, for if I ever need to camp off the 250.

Just figuring out all the GC straps is an adventure by itself, lol.

Hope ya get to test your rig soon
I am convinced. Every time I pack them in I think what am I taking these heavy things for? Thanks Gina and Lane too!

Fix...NO

Tips:
1. Make sure he has Dr. Pepper in the a.m.
2. Feed him at least two good meals a day.
3. Make sure he has Coors Light in the p.m.

Those three things will keep him gentle as a lap dog.

Bonus points if you let him camp near water!
That picture has me worried now. :nono:

Seriously though, thanks for the info Gary. I still have not put these things on right. I can see from your setup I need to move the top buckle further back. I may need to move the entire rack back a little more as well. The 20 Liter bags look rather unsightly in photos but are almost as narrow as a couple of 13 liter bags I also have. The 13 liter bags also force me to carry something up on top. I am trying to save that space for anything extra like water, food and beer. I am going to go find a place to do some off road testing and see how things shake out. I will keep working on this and let you know.

Thanks Ross. I have been looking at some lighter pants like that.

So, do you have to drop one of those in water for each wipe? :-P

+1 bought my first set from B Rainchild, before he sold the company. Adam and his wife are great folks, will take care of you.
They are so simple, a caveman could operate them...... :thumb: :lol2:
Thanks Mark. I actually saw some older posts you made which helped me decide to purchase the gear. :thumb:

Your brush guards on the handlebars looks pretty beefy... so I'd skip the brake / clutch levers. I'd also skip the rear brake lever - if it brakes off, just use the front :) See if you can get by with only the front tube - I hear you can cram one on a rear wheel in a pinch (pun intended...). Throw some safety wire and a handful of m6 bolts of useful lengths in the kit.

I see no food on the list. For me, I really like hot coffee and oatmeal campside in the mornings. A jetboil and aeropress are cheap and small. I assume water and snacks are obvious, but if not: bring water and snacks.

Clothes: obviously, this depends on weather and how much non-riding activities you're planning. I'd skip jeans and hoodie, and go minimal on the shoes with something like flipflops.

Get a sleeping bag liner - these things are amazing. When it's hot, sleep ON the bag and IN the liner.. or skip the bag all together. Some people bring a camp pillow. I think those people are weird.
What is cool is I am right under 10lbs total and still have some space for things like coffee and snacks. That is a great idea about oatmeal and I will probably enjoy it as much as you do. I am throwing the jeans out for sure. The hoodie is on the list for my next trip specifically where mid 30s are expected at night. Is taking a pillow a motocamping faux pas? :-P

There's definitely a learning curve to Green Chili soft rack system but once you get it down it's very secure and easy to load. Packing list looks good except for jeans. I'm in agreement with others comments to replace them with lighter and less bulky nylon pants.

View attachment 362553
I am very happy to hear you like the soft rack setup and certainly know what you mean. Each time I have packed it, it looks different. I just moved the rear buckles further back which made the bags a little more horizontal like yours in the picture. I think it is an improvement but am still learning. Many Thanks!

Supposedly 1 tablespoon of water per. Baby wipes have chemicals in them that normally irritate my skin. These things are biodegradable too. Serve as toilet paper, face and hand towels, dish rags....look like a winner to me.

Last edited:
As much as I love my aeropresses (Yes, plural) for minimal packing I'd leave it at home and grab a couple of packets of instant coffee. Packs MUCH smaller (possibly even inside the jetboil) and there's actually some good ones out there. I have the aeropress go for when traveling on my FJR but if I'm packing the DRZ, it'll stay at home.

I’ll share my thoughts after the riding for in Utah for six days with the GCAG Hardcore Soft Rack.

Ride report here: https://www.twtex.com/forums/threads/desert-sledin-dummies-thumpin-utah.134657/

You can see my above comments about the webbing being pulled together and my template of cardboard to help solve that issue. The plastic backers I made did a good job of solving that problem. The next Issue I had was once the bags were loaded, they would flop more than I would like. I had previously cut some slots in my plastic to be able to get access to the sub-frame to keep my Giant Loop Coyote bag a little snugger. I tried this again with Giant Loop Pronghorn straps. This made a difference but not enough to satisfy me. I had to decide weather I was going back to my GL setup and just be disciplined about what I put in it or I was going to cut more slots for additional points for strapping to the bike. Some bikes have more exposed points than others. The KTM is covered in plastic. I had been using a drill bit and razor knife to make slots in the plastic, this was slow and my “Trick Elbow” was revolting. I went to Harbor Freight and got a hot knife. https://www.harborfreight.com/130-watt-hot-knife-60313.html This may be the best $30 I ever spent at HF, the blade is almost the exact size for a strap. On the right side by the exhaust I used a footman’s loop screwed through the plastic and into the heat shield.

I don’t have any pics of the process as it was happening because it was last minute (I work best under pressure).

Here is a glamour shot of the finished product loaded and ready…

1699366831862.png

I took a few pics of it as I took it off the bike.

1699366846830.png

1699366863585.png

In the end I had a system that did what I needed it to do. It was not an out of the package solution for me and my expectation. Some bikes have the sub-frame more exposed, and they work better. The rack portion on the top is great, it is sturdy and has loops for attachments that won’t move. I probably could have moved my bag higher not needed to put as many holes in my plastic, but my goal was to get my weight lower. I could have dropped my bags lower and been able to get to the sub-frame without holes, but that would have interfered with my legs while standing. Like so many things expectations have a lot to do with how view an item. The quality of the GCAG is top notch and if your expectation is to have a top rack that is highly functional then it delivers out of the package, however if you want to hang 10L-15L bags off the side you need to be able to add some support or be satisfied with it being somewhat floppy.

It doesn’t matter what my luggage setup is I find these indispensable for lashing down whatever you need.

https://www.amazon.com/Voile-Straps...ords=voile+straps&qid=1699364167&sr=8-10&th=1

https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/pronghorn-straps/

Just to demonstrate how rugged the GC setup was and the expert install, could you say how many times more or less was the bike dropped on that Utah trip you went on?

1699367900831.png

Also, I checked out that link you referenced, could you please explain what was happening in the below pic of you?

1699367963690.png

Yes the bike was dropped an average of two times a day. This was mostly due to a lazy out of shape rider and yes GCAG took all of this in stride.

The picture of the bones represents:
A: "You guys are killing me!"
B: Don't go into the desert unprepared
C: We are about to suck the MARROW out of the next few days!

I have one for the 1150GSA that I bought a long time ago. Unfortunately, I don't think I have any pictures of it on the bike.

I figured I have to save every ounce when trying to hustle that thing around off-road. It works pretty well but I've never tried to strap stuff to the sides. A duffle across the top is all I ever used with that setup.

I use the Green Chile Bag Snake strap, and strapped it to the soft rack only I have had no problems with it flopping. I have traveled the NMBDR and the WABDR camping the whole time.

Back