• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle Fishing

Reaction score
I've got the harebrained idea to go fishing on my motorcycle. My first thought was, I need a rod that packs up small for packing on the bike. The second thought was, how do I get out on the water if I don't want to fish from the bank? I considered some type of trailer that could carry some supplies. I also considered some type of inflatable that I could deflate and pack on the bike. Does anyone have a moto fishing rig? Share your thoughts.

The rod part is easy. I haven’t seen them at Wal-Mart in a while but Eagle Claw has made a collapsible rod and reel combo for ages. Handy to keep in the truck or wherever all the time. They make some fancier multi piece travel rods as well.

A friend recently got one of the proFISHiency collapsible rods and seems to like it.

Some rods are simply take down and that might be a good idea too depending on what species you’re targeting.

The last option I can think of are Tenkara rods. Jason, the owner of TenkaraTalk.com, probably knows as much or more about Tenkara style fly fishing as anyone in the USA. Tenkara is great for fishing small streams or even working larger bodies of water from a fishing kayak.

Now, how to get beyond the shore would probably involve an inflatable paddle board, kayak, or pack raft of some sort. I’m not sure how feasible fishing is from any of them but pack rafts are pretty tough from what I’ve seen.

I’m not sure if any of those old school cool fishing chairs that can be paddled around would pack small enough. Those might be a cheaper option if they pack down enough.

Attachments

• IMG_4919.jpeg
    IMG_4919.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Dont forget the cooler to bring all those whoopers home in , got just the thing , an aluminum trailer hitch mount igloo carrier left over from my old wing . With cargo net included .

Dont forget the cooler to bring all those whoopers home in , got just the thing , an aluminum trailer hitch mount igloo carrier left over from my old wing . With cargo net included .

I’ve seen kayakers use these hot cold bags to store fish. At least short term.

Attachments

• IMG_4923.jpeg
    IMG_4923.jpeg
    830.6 KB · Views: 14
They sell backpack tackle boxes. I used to carry my rods on my 69 CL350 to the river at Bennet when we had lots on the Brazos. This was back in the 70's.

At any state park, if you fish of the bank, you don't need a license. Once you leave the bank you do. I have one of those old Eagle Claw rod packs. It goes in a zipper case and is so cool. I might dig it out and take it on my next overnight riding trip...good idea.

I searched for pack raft and found that site. Seems like it might be an option for your needs.

I remembered seeing a post about Ride and Fish so looked it up.
@Shrevej8 posted it looking for people who might be interested in going fishing with him. Sounds like he carries multiple rods and what he requires on the bike. If he is around he might be able to offer some advice.

I run Engle coolers with rod holders and bring full-size rods and a live bait well. My big cooler holds 4 rods the small cooler holds 2. I mostly fish from the bank or wade fish. As for inflated yaks and such they tend to be heavy and you’d need paddles and pumps for them not a big deal but I tend to fish shallows in my yak and an inflatable would be a popping hazard from the oysters. Also I’ll be going out Saturday. Just posted it up since this thread reminded me to. You’re welcome to come out and see all the stuff I run. If you want collapsible rods six gill make some and so do ugly stick. They both fit in a larger back pack. The ugly stick is the most compact. I have six gills for when I travel, both bait caster and spinning set ups. As for tackle bags I run an h2o shoulder bag with 2 small inserts and all my crap. It’s about the size of a large fanny pack and holds everything to fish and process the fish at the end of the day.

I looked into the trailer options but they were pricy and would not be suitable for off-road travel with any type of deep sand so I dropped that idea.

Last edited:
Four-piece flyrod is my tool of choice. Can you spot the flyrod here:

P7113847-PFC-HC,xlarge.1607369184.jpg

Catch and release all but one, and eat that one right at the water's edge!

But yeah, I have no solution to floating down a stream instead of wading or fishing from the banks. And in places, this did just prevent me from fishing at all due to steep, tree-lined banks. Obviously, river, lake or salt-water will all need different setups to some extent.

I have a shakespeare Ugly Stik with a basic spinning reel. It breaks down nicely into my saddlebag, and I just bring a small tacklebox with probably 6 or 8 lures. All catch & release for me, and 90% of it at local ponds. It's a nice excuse to go ride somewhere!

Screenshot_20240321_142802_Chrome.jpg

Yep, little ugly stick would do. Or if you want to try fly fishing this would be good to sling over your shoulder and ride to a river.

OK, I ain't fly fishing or using a spinning reel!!! Why? Mainly because my parents were married! JK :lol2:

I remembered seeing a post about Ride and Fish so looked it up.
Yeah I did too but didn't find it with a search.

At any state park, if you fish of the bank, you don't need a license.
WHAT??? I didn't know that program exists. I'm a lifelong hunter and fisherman so I get a super combo every year anyway!

Dont forget the cooler to bring all those whoopers home in
Nope, catch and release is the way to go. I want fish leftover for next time!

I searched for pack raft and found that site. Seems like it might be an option for your needs.
Those are supewr cool. I'll have to read some reviews and see what people say. I see they are made for carrying on a bicycle and one only weighs 5.3 lbs.

The rod part is easy.
I thought the same thing but I am a gear snob (when it comes to hunting or fishing) so I won't be buying any cheap stuff! I want a rod that breaks down into 3 or 4 pieces and is about 6'6" when put together.

Humm, maybe we should have a moto ride in and camp deal with a little fishing gear and skills exhibition in the ponds and on our stretch of the San Gabriel river some time. The fish might not be monsters but we'd get fed for sure, and wouldn't run out of beer!

Attachments

• cattails on pond.jpg
    cattails on pond.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 7.7.19 3rd.jpg
    7.7.19 3rd.jpg
    750.6 KB · Views: 20
Humm, maybe we should have a moto ride in and camp deal with a little fishing gear and skills exhibition in the ponds and on our stretch of the San Gabriel river some time. The fish might not be monsters but we'd get fed for sure, and wouldn't run out of beer!
white bass are running right now, just sayin!

OK, I ain't fly fishing or using a spinning reel!!! Why? Mainly because my parents were married! JK :lol2:

Yeah I did too but didn't find it with a search.

WHAT??? I didn't know that program exists. I'm a lifelong hunter and fisherman so I get a super combo every year anyway!

Nope, catch and release is the way to go. I want fish leftover for next time!

Those are supewr cool. I'll have to read some reviews and see what people say. I see they are made for carrying on a bicycle and one only weighs 5.3 lbs.

I thought the same thing but I am a gear snob (when it comes to hunting or fishing) so I won't be buying any cheap stuff! I want a rod that breaks down into 3 or 4 pieces and is about 6'6" when put together.
The six gill break downs I use are 6’6” 4 pieces
I have both casting and spinning and both are excellent

Back