• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle Fishing

Four piece, 4 WT, 9 foot orvis rod I bought more than 30 years ago.
I have an Orvis 6 WT eight and half four piece I bought about the same time ago. Used to strap it and a pair waders onto my R65 and head for New Braunfels and the Guadalupe River. Some fun times.

I've got the harebrained idea to go fishing on my motorcycle. My first thought was, I need a rod that packs up small for packing on the bike. The second thought was, how do I get out on the water if I don't want to fish from the bank? I considered some type of trailer that could carry some supplies. I also considered some type of inflatable that I could deflate and pack on the bike. Does anyone have a moto fishing rig? Share your thoughts.
I know someone that had an inflatable listed, and it has me thinking about it. It's another thing I want and don't need right now, ha. But I'll look for it again. DFW area.

At any state park, if you fish of the bank, you don't need a license. Once you leave the bank you do. I have one of those old Eagle Claw rod packs. It goes in a zipper case and is so cool. I might dig it out and take it on my next overnight riding trip...good idea.
State parks also loan out fishing equipment. Many also have a store that sells ice or you could just fry them up while there.

We borrowed some fishing equipment at South Llano River SP and it worked great.

I also have a pill bottle w a wine cork and about 15 feet of line w hook and a couple weights. Packs small.

Recently I bought a nice collapsible rod/reel. Was about 18-20" total length. Was not the cheapest. Nice setup - not a dinky rod. You would put it in a tube that is bolted on top or under your bags, over your bags, fastened to you luggage rack or whatever. The rod/reel setup is not an issue. Visit your nearest Cabalas.

I have several KastKing telescoping rods. They collapse down to about 18" (plenty small enough to fit in a topcase) and perform pretty well. I have a good Pflueger spinning reel on my main one and generic KastKing reels on the ones I have my kids use when hiking. I've even taken them in checked luggage on planes along with a minimal tackle bag (ziploc with my preferred gear). 20 years ago I used to take a similar telescoping rod on backpacking trips. I've caught a lot of fish on telescoping rods!

I also have several inflatable kayaks (in addition to my hard kayaks). Fishing from an inflatable kayak works great! They are pretty tough and I've never had any concerns about popping them. You can get good inflatables for fairly cheap, and while they can be heavy, certainly not more than a teenager on the passenger seat. A bike shouldn't have any trouble if you strap it down well. I have a couple of cheap Intex kayaks for the kids and some Decathlon Itiwits for me and my husband. The green and orange Itiwits are on a pretty good closeout discount from the manufacturer right now and work great for fishing. Don't forget to budget space for a pfd (I use an Onyx auto-inflatable) and a paddle. The Intex base model Challengers come with 4 piece paddles that aren't the greatest for long paddles, but could be adequate for a fishing trip on a calm lake or tubing river and would be much easier to pack on a motorcycle than a typical 2 piece paddle (IIRC, they actually fit in the bag with the kayak though I don't typically pack them that way). Definitely get at least a 2 seater and use it as a one seater so you have more space to work with your equipment. One more thing - lots of inflatable kayak reviews will complain that they aren't great paddling performers, but that is mostly comparing them to sport kayaks that casual paddlers use. They compare much more favorably to angler kayaks.

I pretty much only do catch and release though, can't help with bringing fish home.

Last edited:
1711398390741.jpeg

Taking my little brother fishing. Springtime, 1966, Black Hills in SD. The Yamaha YL1 was my first motorcycle. We would strap poles on, lunch along with bait/lures etc went in the backpack on my brother. We usually fished streams or small lakes primarily for trout. Those were fun times.

OK, I ain't fly fishing or using a spinning reel!!! Why? Mainly because my parents were married! JK :lol2:

Yeah I did too but didn't find it with a search.

WHAT??? I didn't know that program exists. I'm a lifelong hunter and fisherman so I get a super combo every year anyway!

Nope, catch and release is the way to go. I want fish leftover for next time!

Those are supewr cool. I'll have to read some reviews and see what people say. I see they are made for carrying on a bicycle and one only weighs 5.3 lbs.

I thought the same thing but I am a gear snob (when it comes to hunting or fishing) so I won't be buying any cheap stuff! I want a rod that breaks down into 3 or 4 pieces and is about 6'6" when put together.
Screenshot_20240326_141920_Amazon Shopping.jpg

This is what I use. Very good quality. Brought in some 30 inch plus reds on it and it works great for smaller fish also. They have a heavy version of the rod also and the price is great.

Tenkara is your best bet. Tenkara rods are telescoping and easier to cast. Check out TenkaraUSA. Most fly rods break down into very manageable 4-piece rods but are more difficult to cast. Don’t have a recommendation for boats or tubes. I wade fish so don’t need a boat. Hip Waders and light weight wading boots would be manageable if transporting in a duffel bag if water temps are very low.

Tenkara is your best bet. Tenkara rods are telescoping and easier to cast. Check out TenkaraUSA. Most fly rods break down into very manageable 4-piece rods but are more difficult to cast. Don’t have a recommendation for boats or tubes. I wade fish so don’t need a boat. Hip Waders and light weight wading boots would be manageable if transporting in a duffel bag if water temps are very low.
I do NOT fly fish!

I do NOT fly fish!
Not yet...

"Modern" 4 or even 5 piece flyrods cast wonderfully. The main downside to multi-piece rods is the inherent weakness in the ferrels. Who here has not broken a rod on a fish due to a ferrel that wasn't fully seated? Most rods now have 25 year lifetime warrenties against these failures (or car doors, or stepping on em, whatever). But the replacement process takes many weeks.

Back