• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle Insurance

Reaction score
First Name
Aashish
Last Name
Singh
Hello Everyone, I recently bought a new motorcycle and the new insurance rate that geico came up with literally shook me :-) .. so I thought I would ask people here and see what they are using for their insurance. I have a 2023 Tiger 1200 GT Explorer. Thanks

I'm not sure what bike you were coming from, but my experience has been that big adventure bikes are pricey to insure. That said, I have mine with progressive.

The MC insurance rates are based on calculated risks, so my guess is because of the bike you bought or your age, city of residence, etc. all factor in to make you look like a higher risk than you might have expected. Like, oddly enough, when I added a scooter to our motorcycle insurance, the scooter alone cost more than the other two big bikes combined. I don't remember which carrier I have but I do remember that there are very small differences in price between the lowest price you can find and Geico or Progressive. You might find an independent agent who reps multiple companies who can find you a slightly better deal.

I use Progressive as well and find it fairly inexpensive at $184/yr for full coverage. My bike is also 20yrs old.
Of course, as mentioned, age, bike make/model, location, coverage amounts and deductable will all play into this.

I have bounced around between USAA (Progressive), Geico, and Dairyland. Every year I check and if the premiums are less than $20.00 a year I don't change. Right now I have Dairyland on the 2023 Hayabusa and the 2007 RT. Full coverage on both, so it is a little pricey at $800.00. If I had just minimum, it would be under $200.00 a year.

All big Advs are expensive to insure. I use Dairyland. Rep is based in the Woodlands. It's decent for full coverage but even though my bike new was probably half the cost of your Tiger 1200, it's like 4x4 vehicles, the underwriters figure we're going off roading and increasing our risk. It's already expensive enough to fix with a tip over in the garage, being an adv bike doesn't help.

Could be worse. It could say Ninja on the tank. A such, I never got full coverage for mine. That name alone doubles premiums.

I have Progressive on a 2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200. It costs me about $600 a year for full coverage with a couple of “extra” coverage add ons. I’m happy with the deal.

I'm not sure what bike you were coming from, but my experience has been that big adventure bikes are pricey to insure. That said, I have mine with progressive.
thanks, I came from versys 650 , cost went from 250 to 2000 ... I was shocked lol. For now I reduced some coverage to make it a bit palatable. Just asked our local progressive agent to get me a quote. Hopefully they will provide better rates.

The MC insurance rates are based on calculated risks, so my guess is because of the bike you bought or your age, city of residence, etc. all factor in to make you look like a higher risk than you might have expected. Like, oddly enough, when I added a scooter to our motorcycle insurance, the scooter alone cost more than the other two big bikes combined. I don't remember which carrier I have but I do remember that there are very small differences in price between the lowest price you can find and Geico or Progressive. You might find an independent agent who reps multiple companies who can find you a slightly better deal.
I am sure its me .. I am reason

I have bounced around between USAA (Progressive), Geico, and Dairyland. Every year I check and if the premiums are less than $20.00 a year I don't change. Right now I have Dairyland on the 2023 Hayabusa and the 2007 RT. Full coverage on both, so it is a little pricey at $800.00. If I had just minimum, it would be under $200.00 a year.
I did take a quote this morning from Dairyland and it was almost a third of Geico. Good that you have used it before so I am guessing they are okay to use.

All big Advs are expensive to insure. I use Dairyland. Rep is based in the Woodlands. It's decent for full coverage but even though my bike new was probably half the cost of your Tiger 1200, it's like 4x4 vehicles, the underwriters figure we're going off roading and increasing our risk. It's already expensive enough to fix with a tip over in the garage, being an adv bike doesn't help.

Could be worse. It could say Ninja on the tank. A such, I never got full coverage for mine. That name alone doubles premiums.
Do you mind DMing your agent's contact?

Dairyland is popular for cheap MC insurance. I might just switch mine. Problem is, >5 and it requires an additional policy with my current provider, so I have two policies. Really nutty.

I’ve used Dairyland for my motorcycles for about 15 years now. No real complaints about price, but I tend to own very unglamorous motorcycles.

Do you mind DMing your agent's contact?
Just look up Sue Haley Insurance. She's been popular with the riders for decades. She might have a Shennandoah address instead of the Woodlands as she's on the east side of I-45.

I have, and have used Progressive for some time. I've always had a multiple bike discount. Recently sold off an older FJR, and picked up a new '23 FJR which should have increased the numbers. However, switching insurance agents reduced the premiums for slightly more coverage. It pays to shop around.

Currently I have full coverage on a 19 BMW GSA and the 23 FJR. The GSA costs $165/year for full coverage, $500 deductible, 50/100/25. The 23 FJR is $341/year, same coverage. Then there is a 01 929 Erion that has liability only, which is negligible. The multi bike discount makes a pretty big difference, I have to admit. But switching agents made a big difference over what my renewal was going to be with the agent I had. Same insurance company. Like almost 1k/yr.

Check out Kent Powersports in Selma, TX. They have an independent insurance department, and they were great finding me better rates for slightly more coverage.

Here's the thing - give up on the notion you can get insurance and forget it.
You gotta shop for the best rates. My story with just one bike:
Traded in my Suzuki DL-650 for a spanky new Moto Guzzi 850 Stone a couple of years ago.
Progressive waited until I renewed and doubled the rate. When I called their excuse was "MG is more expensive to repair".
I explained I know that's nonsense because if it gets too high they total it and give book value.
They stuck to their lousy excuse and so I shopped. Geico was consistently the worst.
Dairyland gave me the best rate - pretty close to what I had been paying.
Two years later -this year - they doubled my rates citing "statistics".
On a bike that's now 3 years old and ZERO traffic violations!
Couldn't convince them to change their mind so I shopped again.
Guess what? Progressive (through USAA) gave me a reasonable rate again.
Go figure.

These insurance questions are silly. Everyone’s situation is different, with many different factors. In the end, the only “value” that comes out of the answers is a list of insurers to contact; the same could be done with a Google search.

Credit score is also a factor, one I haven’t seen mentioned.

These insurance questions are silly. Everyone’s situation is different, with many different factors. In the end, the only “value” that comes out of the answers is a list of insurers to contact; the same could be done with a Google search.

Credit score is also a factor, one I haven’t seen mentioned.
Actually I don't think they are since they can give a "snapshot" of which vendors are padding their pockets at your expense.
Me for example - I have excellent credit, zero traffic infractions, homeowner, motorcycle safety course, belong to AMA, been riding for decades, my bike (Moto Guzzi 850 Stone) is below 1000 cc, isn't a sport bike and generally speaking the only "ding" is my age as I'm 65+.
If age was an issue I would see consistently high quotes no matter who I asked.
As you mention it can in fact be helpful to have sources to look at since most people think of the big outfits like Progressive, Allstate, State Farm, etc.
Folks that have found good independent agents are good referrals in book. Google has become **** near worthless lately.
SEO has utterly ruined search results and it affects even the outliers like Duck Duck Go.
BTW, there was a post the other day on one of my tech forums that people have found adding "before:2023" to a search query will give you MUCH better results. Seems that AI is now being used to give good SEO results which is not the same as getting the results you'd hoped for.

I am sure its me .. I am reason
lol - honesty counts!
I talked to a young Sikh man that was a hotel manager in Nebraska a couple of years ago - we bonded over his two Royal Enfields.
We even took them for short ride together - I might have to look at one myself!
Anyway he asked me about insurance and I told him I was with Progressive at that time and he said they were too high.
He confessed the problem was he had thought Nebraska was so big and empty he could go as fast as he liked.
State Highway Patrol disagreed.
lol. Good guy. We had a lot of interesting bike conversations while I was there.

I use American Modern Insurance Company. Great rates in Texas for adventure bikes. .
2017 BMW GSA 1200 $163/year. Includes Comprehensive, Collision, Accessories, and Personal Effects and $100k/$300k liability. I have discounts for no violations and multiple bikes.
Call Kala at 800 458 4320 if want a quote. or email her your bike/rider/policy info at Kala@Mobileagency.com

Back