• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My brother went down

RollingJ

You can be a 0 or a
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Sims
My brother, Mike Cleveland, was clipped by a truck in a construction zone on 969 at Austin's Colony last Thursday while he was riding to work at Tesla. I don't know how he went down or how fast he was traveling, but he went down hard. We are awaiting more info, but there were quite a few witnesses from what we understand.

He was wearing a new full-face helmet and work clothes, and was unconscious for 1 1/2 hours. He lost his wallet (edit- he didnt loose it) and was taken to St David's in south Austin as a John Doe (edit- don't know why).

His intestines and colon are bruised but there have been no bleeds. Besides being beat up with a lot of road rash, one of his hands is broken and his thumb is very displaced, so surgery will be in his future. He is having minor cognitive difficulty but they don't think it will be permanent. The fog is clearing a little bit more every day. They did find a pre-existing 14mm lesion on his brain during the PET scan, so maybe something good will come of all this.

The bike, a 2015 Wide Glide appears to be totaled.

Positive energy is appreciated, in whatever form that takes.

Thank you,
Joel

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this. I know that area of 969 well. Many people do not anticipate the red light just around the corner and make things interesting for everyone else.

Sorry to hear this Joel. May he continue to recover mental faculties and reach full physical recovery as well.

Wow Joel just catching up. Sorry to hear, but glad to see progress by the time I scrolled down.

Hoping for a full and quick recovery!

Sorry for the news, Joel. Prayers to him and the family, and for his quick recovery.

Sorry to hear about this but glad to hear he is progressing and home. Hope he has a full recovery.

Joel, very sorry to hear about your brother. That area is in my patrol district, the construction speed limit is 45. I wasn't in town when that happened, went back to work Saturday. If you're in town, let me know. I read your post to Melody, we'll keep him in our thoughts and wish for a speedy recovery.

Thank you, everyone. He's doing as good as can be expected at the moment. He was able to get a shower last night.

Dave, I'm not in town, but if it turns out I need to be I'll let you know. I don't think he's seen the police report yet. We don't really know what exactly happened, if the other driver even stopped, or who is found to be responsible. If you happen to run across the details we would be very interested.

Back