• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My IBA RAT attempt

My shakey calculations show today at 12:31.58 pm. Will be the 72 hour mark. 12:31 I assume was the start time in Victoria texas 3 days ago.
All I can think of this, is, that these guys that do this stuff really, really, REALLY like to ride motorcycles.

Hes waiting at the Galveston ferry. Less than 4 hrs to Victory at Victoria TX!!

Tex may make it around 80 hrs give or take. This final stretch will be brutal with 110 heat index and 30mph south east winds. You have to lean into the wind coming south on 35 or 59

Last edited:
Rough time...in no way accurate, 79 hours 59 min. Ride around texas

Tex, fantastic! My apologies if I have posted any inaccuracies.

You’re SO RIGHT, brutal. I made to within 12 miles of Victoria and I pulled into a rest area, thought I was done, so stinking hot. I glad I didn’t know what my core temp was.

I finally gathered my wits and decided to pour all my water and ice on my head. It worked, got me the last few miles to the finish.

You’re SO RIGHT, brutal. I made to within 12 miles of Victoria and I pulled into a rest area, thought I was done, so stinking hot. I glad I didn’t know what my core temp was.

I finally gathered my wits and decided to pour all my water and ice on my head. It worked, got me the last few miles to the finish.
Glad your safe. You got to the finish, THEN, doubled down and rode an additional 3 hours to your home in central texas arriving at midnight. I felt sure you were going to get a room at that hotel which was just a mile from your final gas stop in Victoria. This is like marathons for motorcyclists.

Kindly give us your report time when you get it all compiled.

Tex, how long did you have to wait at the ferry in Galveston? That wait would have made me insane. At least you got to get off and walk around etc in the hot sun.

I’m not sure how long I waited. But you’re right, it gave me time off the bike. However, once onboard, I could not get off the bike. It was rough and the winds were so strong I was afraid if I was not sitting on it holding the brake she would be on her side again.

Did not need a repeat of my Lajitas experience.

Here are photos of my two Garmins at the start and at the finish. Notice the mileage difference. 236827

They also had a fire in the end room in November of that complex on that side of the highway that you stayed. It's all on the interweb you did good, saved $ .

How many hours did it take for your RAT? (VICTORIA TO VICTORIA). I guessed it was 80 according to your spot.

I haven’t done the final math but I believe you’re pretty much dead in the money, 80 hours. 73 of the 80 total hours was on the bike or taking all the photos of receipts and logging it all in my book.

This ride requires you to visit 18 specific locations in order. Plus additional fuel stops, I ended with 27 stops. That really knocks your average speed down. Additionally, when I’ve done other IB rides they are basically all interstate or major highways. You can really turn and burn. I can do a 1000 interstate miles on average of 18 hours. My fastest was 16:26. This ride upped that to just over 25 hours per thousand miles. Lots of towns, lots of small roads, lots of 30-35 mile speed traps.

Oh, a side note. I’m not sure but looking at the IB tracking, I think I got passed by a professional Iron Butt Rider just east of El Paso. He was moving! When I grow up maybe I can ride like that. Problem is, at 67 years, I’m probably going to be growing down.

I’ll bite. Ride around Dallas or maybe Dalhart?

I still say, IRON MAN !!!
I just noticed your home town, I was through there sometime Tuesday evening. You should have jumped in and took the ride

I just noticed your home town, I was through there sometime Tuesday evening. You should have jumped in and took the ride
You would have looked in your rear view and would have said, "well that didn't last long".

I just added a new farkle that would have made this ride a bit easier. A nice shiny Firecreek auxiliary fuel tank. Hello 350 miles. I’ll give it a go in a couple of weeks when I head to Jacksonville for Daytona Bike week and IBA Pizza Party and hopefully 2or 3 SS1000s.

Back