• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My New Niece

Squeaky

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rebecca
Last Name
Reed
Emma Leigh Nelson, Born 3/15/07

On Thursday, my brother and sister-in-law went in for a scheduled c-section. She'd gestated about 35 weeks and was breech, along with some other potential issues that were being watched.

She arrived with ten fingers and ten toes, but has been in the NICU since being introduced to the world. Her mother is being discharged today without her precious new baby.

Right now the biggest problem is her eating. She can suck on a bottle, but she doesnt know how to eat and breathe at the same time so her heart rate drops after she starts to feed and it is so labor-intensive that she is burning more calories trying to feed than she is taking in. Once the therapists can get her used to eating on her own, then she'll be on her way to going home. She is also not regulating her body temperature very well, but at 5 lbs 3 oz she doesn't have much insulation. That should improve as the feedings improve.

I ask that you keep her, her parents Heath (my brother) and Kat (Kathy) and the rest of my family in your thoughts. Although I'm not a very religious person, my sister in law is Catholic and has a very strong belief system. Just knowing that y'all are adding Emma to your prayers will certainly lift her spirits.

137215593-M.jpg

Oh, and add a little something for me. I'm feeling very distant being here while my entire family is up in NY/NJ and no amount of phone calls or emails can quite accomplish the same thing as a hug.

Last edited:
Congrats to your family and you for becoming an Aunt. It's amazing how resiliant they can be, just a matter of time.

Best wishes.

She is a cute one. Congrats to the family and I do know everything will work out fine.

I will definatly keep all of you in my prayers and I will give you a big hug the next time I see you (but this will have to do for now :kiss: ).

Blue Bomber said:
(but this will have to do for now :kiss: ).

I feel a little better already! ;-)
I also told Melinda that when Sarah prays for people, it's for their "boo boos". She thought that was just too precious.

Congrats to the parents and sincere hopes for Emma Leigh who is going to have such a tough time keeping her aunt in line.

Hey, where is your Monday night Meet & Greet again, over on the west side, right? I should pay better attention. I'll get over there tonight, if I can catch the location in time, and give you a hug in person...

Such a cute face! Please tell your niece's family that your crazy Texas motorcycle friends are praying for them...

^i^EMMA^i^

Peace and comfort, for the highest good of all concerned.

Hey, S.,

Our daughter was born prematurely, and was 4 lb., 4 oz., with holes in her heart. The first few weeks were tough, didn't realize I could love someone so much. 3 months later, the holes were repaired (on her own, without surgery or meds), and she's been a joy ever since.

Nothing but best wishes for your family.

Oh, and for you, too:
hug.gif

Last edited:
buck000 said:
...didn't realize I could love someone so much.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, can prepare you for that... :zen:

What a beautiful baby...everything will turn out fine. Their little but God makes them that way for a reason and they are a lot tougher than big people give them credit for...prayer sent that she will be home soon.

Thank you everyone for your prayers, well-wishes, and eHugs!

I got another pic today - Daddy's little girl! (That's my brother Heath)

137564035-M.jpg

Prayers for Emma, Heath, Kat, and you too Rebecca. :pray:

Somebody go hug Rebecca. :angel:

I like the second picture without the tube.

Any idea when she will get to go home?

Gilk51 said:
Any idea when she will get to go home?

No, all depends on the physical therapy and how well it progresses. I missed a call from my brother before he sent the pic, so I'll be talking to him in the morning.

Hey Becca,

We read all the great things that you wrote as well as all the awesome responses from all of your friends. Can you please copy and paste this email onto the site, so that we may thank everyone for their blessings via you. Also, I sent you some new pictures today, so add one of those too. As far as an Emma update... she is doing great. Earlier this week, they took her IV out, then today they moved her out off the incubator and she is sustaining her temperature on her own. The progress with the feeding is going well. We just cant wait to get her home. Thank you again for all your prayers and good wishes. Lots of hugs to auntie Becca.

Love,
Heath, Kat, Emma

She's a week old as of today!

137926995-M.jpg

donroger1 said:
:tab What a Pretty Girl!!

But of course! She's got some darned good looking parents.
(And yes, my brother and I look a lot alike so I'll take some credit)

126831309-M.jpg

Back