• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New BMW rider in Hutto (and Utopia) TX

Viejo Tejano

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Barnett
Hola All,

Dave Barnett here in Hutto (and Utopia) TX. I'm a BMW rider since 1976 with several years of Harley-Davidson, Triumph, BSA, AJS, Matchless, and Norton prior to that. My current primary ride is a 2003 BMW K1200RS with a '91 BMW K75 and two BMW /5 Airheads standing by in the Utopia barn (also the proud possessor of a Motobecane moped). I'm a retired Merchant Mariner and a member of the Hill Country BMW Riders.

Welcome to the site. You have a nice bike collection, I would love to see pictures, particularly of the Motobecane.

Hola All,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

All the BMW Airheads are in my barn in Utopia (along with a '79 Triumph Bonneville), but here's a look at my 2003 BMW K1200RS and my Motobecane with me in Hutto.

Cheers,

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0576.JPG
    IMG_0576.JPG
    301.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 35
I had the 03 K1200RS in black. No idea where it wound up once I sold it - I'm sure it was resold at auction somewhere. I still have the stock exhaust system in my attic if you ever have the need. Magnificent bike, I just got the itch for something different.

Did you get the RS in black new?..... I had to have mine repainted from the original blue. Being a die hard BMW Airhead rider a "K" bike was the bike I swore I'd never own; now the K1200RS is the bike I swear I'll never sell. If you decide you need more space in your attic I've still got some room in my barn.

Did you get the RS in black new?..... I had to have mine repainted from the original blue. Being a die hard BMW Airhead rider a "K" bike was the bike I swore I'd never own; now the K1200RS is the bike I swear I'll never sell. If you decide you need more space in your attic I've still got some room in my barn.
I bought it slightly used, it was originally black. Added the Remus full exhaust, Rhinewest chip, Ohlins shocks, and a Sargent seat. I loved that bike. I'll reach next time i drive up that way and see if you still want the OEM exhaust.

I bought it slightly used, it was originally black. Added the Remus full exhaust, Rhinewest chip, Ohlins shocks, and a Sargent seat. I loved that bike. I'll reach next time i drive up that way and see if you still want the OEM exhaust.

Yes to the OEM exhaust........ if/when it's convenient, and if I find myself heading to the Houston area I'll check in with you.

Even with my older Airheads I've always considered the stock BMW exhausts system(s) to be pretty much of an anchor. On my R90/6 (bored out to 1L and running a Dyna II ignition) I fitted open cone megaphones from D&D in Haltom City TX and it was like dropping in a mild race cam...... throttle response markedly improved. Did you find much improvement with the Remus system, and if you did do you think it was the exhaust by itself or working in conjunction with the chip?

Hey from just up the road in Taylor.
My main bike back in the day for a spell was a 2004 K12GT for about 7 or 8 years and loved it.
Have my first boxer after trying a K16GT šŸ‘ŽšŸ¼ and loving it. Lemme know if you want to go for a spin sometime...

Hola Stuart-

First things first!...... is Ed's Place still open in Taylor? Open days/hours have gotten spotty in the last few years as the owners have aged (as well as most of the clientele). One of the best hamburger joints in Texas, for my money.

I'll be riding to lunch this coming Saturday at The Dahlia Cafe in Liberty Hill with our local BMW club- Hill Country BMW Riders- and you are more than welcome to join us. Text/email me at 830 486 9505/david-barnett@att.net if you're interested.

I looked at a K16 once: way too big....... way, way too big.

Cheers,

Dave

Did you find much improvement with the Remus system, and if you did do you think it was the exhaust by itself or working in conjunction with the chip?
Two big things, less weight and less heat. It sounded better as well. Since the pipe and chip went on together I'm not sure which one gave me the boost, and it was only a slight boost to be honest, but it was the hot setup at the time for K bikes. Remus went with BMW like Two Brothers with Honda, Termignoni with Ducati, and Muzzy with Kawasaki.

The chip was required to remap the injection mapping for the pipe.

Yea - they are still open! Owners had some health issues last year, but they have been consistent with their hours past few months. Best burger in town for sure.
I'm traveling for work through most of February but will be around late in the month and March hopefully and can hook up.

Two big things, less weight and less heat. It sounded better as well. Since the pipe and chip went on together I'm not sure which one gave me the boost, and it was only a slight boost to be honest, but it was the hot setup at the time for K bikes. Remus went with BMW like Two Brothers with Honda, Termignoni with Ducati, and Muzzy with Kawasaki.

The chip was required to remap the injection mapping for the pipe.
I'll be 78 this year:eek2: so I'm not all that sure if I really need to need to make a fast bike faster...... but you just never know.

Back