• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New member from Katy

Reaction score
Greetings, I just joined Two Wheel Texans at the suggestion of a fellow rider and current member of the group. Paul had suggested we participate in the Big Bend Rally next February/March, and this was the first step. I believe we will have a total of eight friends planning to participate next March.

As to my background, I am only two years in on the two wheel adventure path having spent the last 50+ years in the four wheel world. It started with buying/fixing/flipping cars in high school, then migrated to kart racing in my adult life, and finally to auto racing and engine building. My brother in Indiana had gone the other direction and has 50+ years of riding and racing 2 wheels. After several years of him helping crew our endurance race team, we decided to start riding motorcycles together.

I enlisted his help to get me up to speed on skills and bikes. After getting my license, it was off to BMW Training Center for their on-road and off-road schools, Next up was Trials training in Tennessee, followed by flat track racing school with American Supercamp. My brother advised all of these schools would help develop the proper bike skills needed for both on and off-road riding. I must admit his advice has been very helpful. Next was on to the proper bikes. Unlike my brother’s 50 year journey and countless bikes owned, I quickly settled on the three perfect bikes for me (after buying six and swapping out). Top ride is my 2014 BMW R 1200 GS base model with full protection, Lone Rider bags, and Woody’s Wheels to replace the original cast ones. Next in line was my 2017 Husqvarna FE 501 I bought with only 500 miles on it and an upgraded suspension. Because I intended to use this for more back country adventures and touring, I continued the build with a Nomad Rally tower complete with full navigation and instrumentation. Rear racks, Mosko Moto bags and a Tubeliss tire setup completed the build. Finally I bought a 2004 Montessa 4RT Trials bike. I bought this for training, but soon found and joined the South Texas Trials Association in Houston. This very active group meets every Saturday at the Rio Bravo MC track where they maintain a huge trials section to ride and train on.

With both my brother and I retired, we have committed to getting together and riding as much as possible. The short two years have included Texas, Colorado, Moab, Tennessee, and North Carolina, both on and off-road. We already have six trips planned for 2024, and that is just the first seven months. We are both looking forward to meeting everyone in Big Bend next year.

IMG_0989.jpeg

IMG_0965.jpeg

IMG_0866.jpeg

Back