• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Old school Ktm love, it's an rfs thing, baby

All I did to mine was service it . It liked going fast and did it good but when a Beta came along the KTM went by by . The Beta does everything I ask it to very well .

I had a 02/400exc that "fit me" better than any woods bike I'd ever owned. Wish I never sold it.

Still need to put my 98 250 EXC back together. Want to replace bearings while I have it all apart but there's a lot of them and figuring out which ones to buy and getting the cash to buy them has been tough.

Look at this poser with his clean bike and brand new gear.

IMG_2109-XL.jpg

I picked my 06 XC up from a member here in June of 2017. It was well used and well loved, but not running and drained of fluids. The valves had run out adjustment. I paid $1300 for an 11 year old bike.

It needed valves, guides, a new rocker arm, a good carb clean, and a lot of other little things. There was a little bit of a learning curve working on an RFS engine, but it's really a dead-simple design.

The thing about a cheap bike (still a sexy, fire-breathing dragon) and an old truck is that if all else fails I can just walk away and let it rust on the side of the road.

I didn't have the time to ride a much as I wanted but I got out every chance I had.

I left it running without the fan on in my shed a couple summers later and forgot about it for about an hour. Not my finest hour. It blew the hoses and damaged a bunch of plastic and rubber parts, but nothing else mechanical was harmed. As annoyed as I was with myself, I was impressed with the bike. I fixed it and rode it, hard.

I rebuilt the shock because the bump stop was falling apart and it had lost it's nitrogen charge. The preload nut had seized and I tore up the threads trying to get it apart. I ended up ordering another shock that needed a rebuild and I Frankensteined the two together. I also cleaned the oil seals in the forks and changed the oil. I'm still on the fork seals that were changed just before I bought the bike.

After a big bend ride ride last year I was blowing a little blue smoke. I thought it was time for a piston so I ordered and installed a piston and valve seals. It was definitely time for the piston, and I picked up some power, but my smoke was due to overfilling my oil.

Last September, I was just starting to prep for a crazy ride I want to do in big bend when I crashed into a pine tree at 20mph in the forest. I squashed the exhaust and right rad flat to the frame. I also broke by thumb and picked up a nasty concussion. I was pretty sure I was going to give up riding.

I sold some backup gear and my buddy bike, a KLX250S. As it was riding away in the back of a strangers truck I realized that the next step was to fix the KTM and sell it or part it out.

I couldn't do it. It means too much to me. So, I ordered some parts on ebay and got it going again.

I took it out for a little 200 mile blast last weekend and it's better than ever. It pulls hard and is like riding on a stiff cloud with a chip on its shoulder.

I can't imagine ever getting rid of this beauty.

Back