• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

On Any Sunday

Tom

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Lowry
Got some time to myself on Sunday morning. After a couple cups of java and a two rooster bullet omelet, I gear up and mount the Pyg and point it South. Now this is going to be quick, and I’m not going to feed you one photo a day just to bump the thread so here it is short and sweet.

Heading into sunrise.
Img_0167.jpg

Bet there’s skeeters over there.
Img_0171.jpg

West Bay sure looks calm.
Img_0174.jpg

Statue at 25th and Broadway:
Img_0177.jpg

Flagship Hotel.
Img_0178.jpg

ZZ Top wrote a song about this place.
Img_0179.jpg

Waiting on the ferry.
Img_0180.jpg

Getting ready to cross the ship channel.
Img_0181.jpg

Bandit at 11:00.
Img_0182.jpg

Seawolf Park.
Img_0183.jpg

Bolivar Lighthouse.
Img_0189.jpg

Nice day for offshore.
Img_0190.jpg

Country lane.
Img_0191.jpg

Wana take a dip?
Img_0192.jpg

I think not!
Img_0193.jpg

Trinity River.
Img_0195.jpg

Are you talk’n to me,,, are YOU talk’n to ME?
Img_0200.jpg

Hartman bridge, ****, it’s getting hot.
Img_0201.jpg

There, that’s better
Img_0209_800.jpg

A little time at the grill and;
Img_0215.jpg

I think I’ll take a nap now, that is all…

:snore

Good to see you finally have the GS back on the road!! Now there is no excuse for not doing more ride reports :-P

Livin' Large. :chug:

Good route. My first ride when getting back into scootering, was through Anahuac, Lone Oak, Double Bayou, etc. Really cool seeing alligators on the side of the road. Reminded me of home.

BTW, did you know that the Bolivar lighthouse is pre-Civil War vintage? It is made of curved and flanged sheets of cast iron bolted together. The other one is on Matagorda Island. The latter was disassembled and buried by the Texas forces to prevent the invaders from the north from using it to guide their ships.

Found this RR by following the banner pic (DS in the pool).

Short and sweet RR but strange to see pix from Galveston- Flagship is gone, the pier is gone...all those landmarks I grew up seeing on family trips to the beach- gone.

Just found this thread/report by seeing the bridge pics at the top of the page. AWESOME!!! Don't know if Tom is still around but if so thank you! I spent a huge part of my youth at my family's cabin at Bolivar. It and my Dad's sister's family cabin was next door right on the front row(beach) between the jetty and Fort Travis. Back in the late 40s-61. The good'ol days! LOVE Galveston to this day. Back then us kids could roam the beach, jettys, Ft Travis and Parents never had a worry. Hurricane Carly got our cabin and my dad passed the year later. He had a heart condition and I am totally convinced the stress and broken heart thing was the kicker. But anyhow, this post has me on a memory lane HIGH right now, thank you to Tom and TWT for having this feature on TWT!!!

Reactions: Tom
Not well known but hundreds of slots were taken to Ft Travis and put in the bunkers after gambling was shut down on the island. Being kids we found ways to get into them and looked for loose change. Found surprising amts occasionally. Slimy, wet, DARK narrow passageways leading to big rooms full of them. Still amazed we never got bitten by a snake. No one was allowed on the Ft during those years until it became a State park. Fun times!

Not well known but hundreds of slots were taken to Ft Travis and put in the bunkers after gambling was shut down on the island. Being kids we found ways to get into them and looked for loose change. Found surprising amts occasionally. Slimy, wet, DARK narrow passageways leading to big rooms full of them. Still amazed we never got bitten by a snake. No one was allowed on the Ft during those years until it became a State park. Fun times!
Cool! You sound like the kind of kid I would have hung out with. :lol:

We had to crawl under the fence to get to Ft Travis the first time I explored it and the cannon places in Galveston was our hang out in the late 60s , take spare flashlights , it got really dark in there when those old rayovaks gave out even got into the old gun ports on the east end of the island once , the hike through the swamp to get to them wasnt worth it . Early 70 s I was in navy reserve and down there every week . I was a welcome member to hang out at the third palm planter west of the Flagship driveway ramp and the Balinese , we tried to get into it for years , finally did get to explore it before it was gone when it reopened several years back , SIL used to work for KLOL in another lifetime , when the B opened the radio did live broadcast that weekend and since he knew people we snooped everywhere . I remember old rusted machine guns along the sea wall on the east end when I was a rugrat but they were gone by the time I was old enough to explore on my own . Like so many other things in life , Aint my Galveston anymore , havent been down there in years . I suck at being a turon . I do make it down there every few years to give the railroad museum a few bucks , thats about all any more . There is a strange dream that floats into my head every few years of racing around in the old cotton warehouses dodging pillars in my old Chevell SS chasing a friend or being chased , im not really sure , it used to get really foggy down there at times . I do remember drinking really cheap Falstaff beer though , it was the norm for navy stuff .

Back