• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #210 - "Anything Goes. Well... almost anything" (ENTRY DUE 04/02/23)

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Post your entry for #210 Anything Goes. Well... almost anything. here...

Closing Date: 04/02/2023 Midnight

Please do not comment in this thread until a winner has been selected, and post only your picture and one picture only. You can edit/replace that image until the closing date/time. Lobbying for one's image in not necessary.

Comments will be deleted without warning until a winner has been selected.

553AB47C-75A4-4320-B840-AA5A3F8D7057.jpeg

Wow, I had no idea this would turn into such an animal/nature assignment! Great stuff everyone...

SpiritAtBay -
Great little spider shot. I had a Mexican red banded leg tarantula for a number of years as a pet. Upon first pass, I would have liked to see this one really close up. Then looking a bit more, the wider shot was kind of nice too but the foreground reeds than became a distraction.

DFW_Warrior -
Great pup capture. Man, that razor thin DOF and upon close inspection, is that a studio umbrella as catchlight?

Gravel Guy -
What a wonderful shot. Great lighting and positioning. Framing really good too.

47 Wing -
At first I thought this little fellow might have been injured. (heck - i still don't know) But what a cool capture of a little owl just hanging out in the window sill. I think the window cord/slats are a bit of a distraction. Would love to see it in a portrait mode or square crop.

jhansen -
How's retirement going? Glad to see you stick your head in here! Interesting birds for sure but the sidewalk and being out of focus were some detractors. Was that really zoomed in for the shot?

Tracker -
Man, love me some good sunsets that aren't blown out. Great patterns, shadows and symmetry

Woodbutcher -
Nice osprey capture. You are the king of the bird shooters and I've learned a lot from you. The overcast or cloudy day did you no favors for both background and contrast. Still a cool capture though.

Lots of great submissions this time which made me smile. Alas, I can only choose one and this one goes to Mark/Gravel Guy. The framing was really nice, the eye contact and catch light were perfect as was the sunlight and reflection.

Looking forward to the next assignment. Mark - you're up!

Thank you for picking my trumpeter swan picture! I’ve got Sweetpotatofries‘ old 4/3 mirrorless camera and I’m practicing and trying to get better! We went to Heber Springs Arkansas to two private ponds to see these trumpeter swans and they were noisy and gorgeous! This young gray swan kept circling back and forth near me, and I like this picture for the memory it will represent.
I implore you to turn your volume up and listen to 100 of them on a pond….it was a chorus I’ll never forget!

....DFW_Warrior -
Great pup capture. Man, that razor thin DOF and upon close inspection, is that a studio umbrella as catchlight?
That it is! I figured it was was going to take photos of something I might as well get some practice with the lights at the same time. :)
Lots of great submissions this time which made me smile. Alas, I can only choose one and this one goes to Mark/Gravel Guy. The framing was really nice, the eye contact and catch light were perfect as was the sunlight and reflection.

Mark, that is a good looking bird and a great photo of it! For me, the bird is great and all, but that water was captured perfectly too. Congrats! :clap:

That dude is just chillin' Lol
Are you a rehaber, or is this at your home?
He is unchilling. :-)

This was during the last really cold snap. I heard the blue jays and mockingbirds go nuts outside the kitchen window. I stepped out to see what is going on and I found this little guy warming up against the relatively warmer wall and window.

Yes - Totally different image!!!!
Now, did you get one with those beady little eyes on top that close? :deal:

IMG_20230309_113849235~2.jpg

Observant folks will see beady eyes atop a turret like structure. Might also see that my subject is dead (damaged abdomen). I found him dying. I think he was dropped by a predator, probably a "tarantula hawk".

IMG_20230309_112038089.jpg

So I took the opportunity to check out the mouth parts. The fangs are flanked by red.

Yeah, mine had fangs like that. Just like a pair of cat claws under that head....

Is it possible it was ready to molt? Where the fangs are (mouth area) it almost looks like it was splitting which is what a molt looks like at the beginning.

Yeah, mine had fangs like that. Just like a pair of cat claws under that head....

Is it possible it was ready to molt? Where the fangs are (mouth area) it almost looks like it was splitting which is what a molt looks like at the beginning.
No sweetie, his abdomen was busted. He was dead shortly after I found him. They are fragile.

Wow, I had no idea this would turn into such an animal/nature assignment! Great stuff everyone...

jhansen -
How's retirement going? Glad to see you stick your head in here! Interesting birds for sure but the sidewalk and being out of focus were some detractors. Was that really zoomed in for the shot?

Retirement is a wonderful thing. Busy Busy Busy doing Patriot Guard Rider stuff. I got talked into being a ride captain and being a support vehicle person. All that makes me busy. The bird was just standing on the sidewalk and it's an IPhone (12 plus) shot zoomed in 2.5X. so not very steady but interesting. I was about 20 feet away when I took the shot. Looking forward to the next one.

Jeff, you see the shadow in front of the bird on the sidewalk? On the red block? At first glance I thought he was levitating over the concrete! 😂

Back