• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #211- Motorcycle Texture in Black and White (Assignment)

Gravel Guy

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Drumm
Ladies and gentlemen, please share your creative texture photos of motorcycles. No accessories, like gloves or gear, I want bike texture photos in black and white. Maybe the perfect shine on a Harley tank, or the carbon fiber of a Ducati side panel, or the beat to death denting of an Enduro skid plate after 100K miles.
Post any photos here for feedback or discussion, and I'll try to get some up here for examples.

Use this Assignment thread to post up images that you have taken that you like or would like feedback on and use the ENTRY thread for posting your final selection.

Specifics for this assignment:

1) Camera phone, point & shoot, DSLR, iPad, or even film; all shooters are welcome and encouraged to participate!

2) Post processing is allowed for this assignment.

3) All forum posting rules apply regarding suitability of an image to post.

4) Your photograph for the entry has to have been taken between 00:01 April 4, 2023 and midnight/2400, April 30, 2023.

Last edited:
Here is an example. Your photo may be Macro or larger but with a sense of grit or texture to the entire piece.

53FF479C-B9EC-43CF-BE4C-34D0B5C90E72.jpeg

Take your picture, go to where its stored and click Edit. Then select the three circle looking things at the bottom. That brings up a pallet slider. Example:
9D161987-582D-463D-AA47-59F2393DA057.png

Then slide the stack all the way to the right and theres a couple options. Example:

83B249CE-820F-4AB2-BE2D-D881DA2A6B81.png

Click Done.

Just posting this up as a sample of one I took that I liked. It is not eligible as it was taken way back in 2021. Just thought I would share it, hope that is okay.

old-indian.jpg

I've posted two photos here but entered the first one for the contest.
Any comments or suggestions appreciated.
All in all, I think both are nice photos. The one thing I notice in the first, is the reflection in the tank, to the right of the Harley badge. That kind of grabs my eye for a second.

I really like the composition of the lower ones - the angle lights and springs and, what's that? horn? The wood and stone in the background is a little distracting, maybe? Makes that stuff "compete" with the bike so the bike doesn't stand out as much. Perhaps blurring that digitally or with a larger aperture...

For the top one, I wish the 'swoosh' on the tank wasn't cut off by the right edge. Or, maybe get closer and isolate the tank, or fins on the cylinders? Or Johnny :) ?

The exposure, contrast, and sharpness / texture in both look great.

I really like the composition of the lower ones - the angle lights and springs and, what's that? horn? The wood and stone in the background is a little distracting, maybe? Makes that stuff "compete" with the bike so the bike doesn't stand out as much. Perhaps blurring that digitally or with a larger aperture...

For the top one, I wish the 'swoosh' on the tank wasn't cut off by the right edge. Or, maybe get closer and isolate the tank, or fins on the cylinders? Or Johnny :) ?

The exposure, contrast, and sharpness / texture in both look great.
I agree with your comments on the springer picture background.
I made an attempt to clean it up but ended up loosing some integrity of the spot lamp on that side....my edit wasn't very good I'm afraid.
Also the stone is behind the windshield...I couldn't get that blended at all.
The background is distracting though.

There is a lot in the first picture.
I did miss the swoop on the tank in order to get in the decals on the oil tank.
I was worried about Johnny being a little too.....ya know.

Thanks for your input though

All in all, I think both are nice photos. The one thing I notice in the first, is the reflection in the tank, to the right of the Harley badge. That kind of grabs my eye for a second.
Thanks for your comment.
It is a very busy photo.

These photos were taken with my cellphone and the android photo program on the phone.

Yeah - that's better! Less in the photo, so you pay more attention to what's in there. "CUBIC" is a little hard to read - wonder if clever experimentation with the reflections could darken that to match the lower lettering...

this was the only picture I had of just the bike. I like learning to do new things and I’ve never really edited pics before so the the post with the walk through on how to do so on a iPhone thank you! I will have to go out and take a new one once I’m back home in Texas this weekend

Attachments

• 860837EB-1274-4DC8-969C-2C6AC23ECBF6.jpeg
    860837EB-1274-4DC8-969C-2C6AC23ECBF6.jpeg
    432.1 KB · Views: 65
this was the only picture I had of just the bike. I like learning to do new things and I’ve never really edited pics before so the the post with the walk through on how to do so on a iPhone thank you! I will have to go out and take a new one once I’m back home in Texas this weekend
And it has gloves in it…

Watching. I need to get back to taking pitchers again. All the photos I take mostly are crime scene related.

Back