• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #212 - Big! ENTRY (Due 05/31/2023 by MIDNIGHT)

DFW_Warrior

Hmmmm.....
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Please place your entries in this thread for Big!

Closing Date: 05/31/2023 Midnight

Please do not comment in this thread until a winner has been selected, and post only your picture and one picture only. You can edit/replace that image until the closing date/time. Lobbying for one's image in not necessary. Comments will be deleted without warning until a winner has been selected.

1685543819874.png

Thank you all for coming in at the last minute with all the submissions! Y’all did awesome.

I’m away tonight but I will have the judging done by tomorrow evening. 👍

Everyone, first I just wanted to say thank you for the submissions. I was getting a little worried that my choice in category was maybe ‘too’ open for interpretation. But like the consistent group of procrastinators you are, you came in right at the wire.

Gary, I love industrial stuff. And I really love weird stuff. So to combine industrial AND weird, you know what speaks to me. I honestly still can’t figure out just what it is. Obviously some type of propeller on a 90 degree transfer box of some sort, and used for what I can only imagine is a water application. But that is where I lose the trail. I do like the framing of the object in question as it tells me enough of what it is to want to know more, but doesn’t give me enough to figure it out.

Mark, that is one big ol’ leaf. I’m not a tree guy, but I can only imagine the size of the plant that thing came off of. The knife is a good reference point as everyone one of us know the size of that. One makes me think, is there a play in the photo of “did the knife do the cutting of the leaf?” We will never know…

Tom, I like it. There is something about the texture of some well worn in denim. There is no way to really fake that and I feel that your photo captured it well. I’m assuming you are Big Daddy, or else the person wearing that probably wouldn’t have been too kind of your getting that up close and personal.

Rusty, I’m assuming that is the size of a standard’ish Lego kit, but somehow your perspective from where you shot it at makes it seem like a 4 or 5 year old kid could come walking over to it and swing a leg over just fine. I really like the big bike and little bike play on the theme.

Me… well, I have had this wrench hanging on my wall for 15+ years, and it isn’t even mine! It is there for one day when a good friend of mine finally gets his Triumph back out on the road again and needs to change a back tire. That wrench will do the trick. I saw that wrench a few weeks ago and had this type of shot in mind ever since. I’m mostly happy with it, I just wish I could have added a secondary flash highlighting the motor from the other side in order to give a little more depth. But… one of my China flashes dies so one off camera flash had to do it. And of course there is the story part, “why the heck does she have a giant wrench to work on the throttle cables!?!?” I couldn’t come up with a better way to incorporate it so we just went with it.

Scott, that is a super creative use of the giant round that the guys are using as cover. I ‘m really digging the dirt piled up under the bullet in order to keep the continuity of the round being “cover”. And is that smoke coming from the barrel!?!?!? Come on!

Jeff, I’m sorry… You are 100% correct that you were 9 ½ hours too late on this one.

The winner of this one for the technical chops, story telling, and creative use of the theme is Scott @M38A1 ! Congrats and thanks again for everyone who participated.

Bill,
A 40 foot hickory tree grows beside my porch, is probably 12-14” in diameter. This leaf was plucked from that tree. 11” x 9”, I’ve never seen a bigger hickory leaf than this. 😎

Wow, thanks for the nod and comments. Lots of good stuff this time around. I also wondered about the leaf thinking possibly tobacco, and now I need one of those “big” wrenches for a concept thats been rolling around in my head.

I rode the struggle bus hard on this one wrestling with how to convey “big”. I settled on a comparison theme and went with a .50cal round as cover for my two little green army men. They were all atop a black velvet piece of fabric. Camera right about 45* was a remote triggered speedlight and the camera with a 105mm lens which held the trigger was on a tripod. I did an initial test shot or two for flash and played with the camera settings a bit to get the shot where I wanted. Next was to take a sheet of paper towel, roll it up and light it. Once it was flaming I blew it out then moved the smoking paper towel around the image area while capturing images. Took maybe 20 frames to get the one where the smoke was wafting from and above the barrel of the green army man. A quick import to Lightroom for the sepia conversion, a few small adjustments and it was done. Here’s a BTS of the shot:

E83EE1A3-B4A4-4636-A3E4-5EFE0D6566B5.jpeg

I’ll have Junes assignment up by tomorrow evening.

Back