• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Prospective Rider, Angelo State Student, Marble Falls Area

Keep in mind that insurance won't automatically cover things like your riding gear, aftermarket bits on the bike, GPS, luggage, etc,... Some companies will include a set amount for these things and you can adjust that amount if you like, but it does affect the overall premium. I currently am using Progressive and I think I have that amount set to $5K. That might sound like a lot, but when you sit down and start adding up all the stuff, it adds up quick!

Keep in mind that insurance won't automatically cover things like your riding gear, aftermarket bits on the bike, GPS, luggage, etc,... Some companies will include a set amount for these things and you can adjust that amount if you like, but it does affect the overall premium. I currently am using Progressive and I think I have that amount set to $5K. That might sound like a lot, but when you sit down and start adding up all the stuff, it adds up quick!
I think I'm going to end up going with Progressive as well. Also planning on the 5k option too, a pretty cheap upgrade from the default 3.
Looks like it is going to work out to about 1200/yr with the sv650. Not cheap by any means, but that is with pretty much maxed options and 800/yr less than most other offers. Should drop 50% once I hit 25 and 3yrs experience though.

Yeah, your age is a big deal. Also, I would not be surprised that the 650 size of the motor and style of the bike is a kicker as well. This would be a strong argument in favor of some kind of dualsport/adventure bike. Traditionally they have been less expensive to insure, often even for the same size motor. I suspect this is because they just attract a different kind of riders, potentially less squid like in the eyes of the insurance companies. :-P

I know price is obviously a big issue for a college student, but you are right on the cusp where a little more an make a big difference in the quality/condition of the bike you can get in your budget. Under $3K, there is a good chance the bike will need some less than trivial work on it or just be in really rough condition. So let's say you find a bike for $2500 but it ends up needing $500-1000 in work plus your time to do the work, it might be better to just take that extra money, add it to your budget for a bike, and try to get a bike that is newer and/or in better condition that doesn't need any work or time put into it.

I owned a 2004 V-Strom 650 exactly like the one in the above listing. I even had the hard luggage setup like that. It was an excellent bike. The one in the above ad has less than 30K miles on it! Of course it is in NC... Fly and ride trips are fun! Head over there for Spring Break, buy it, ride the Smokies for a few days, head home :-P

Closer to home...

I had an 02 KLR 650 and it was a blast to ride. You just have to remember to drain the carb if it is going to sit unridden for more than three weeks or so. Ever since they started putting alcohol in gas, the gas gums things up pretty quick. Adding something like Stabil can help though. The KLR is kind of a Swiss army knife bike. It can do almost everything pretty well, but not great. I flogged mine on twisty backroads and down all manner of dirt roads. It got me over all the big name high passes in SW Colorado without any problems. It got me to Mexico and back. They last forever... just as @Gravel Guy . If I recall correctly, it wasn't expensive to insure.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the SV650 really is a great bike, even for a beginner. Just don't get fixated on it. Something like the KLRs can be bought for $3-4K, ridden a long time, and then still sold for close to what you paid for it. IF they run and are in good condition, most bikes nowadays seem to bottom out in that $3-4K price range unless they just have crazy miles on them.

Yeah, your age is a big deal. Also, I would not be surprised that the 650 size of the motor and style of the bike is a kicker as well. This would be a strong argument in favor of some kind of dualsport/adventure bike. Traditionally they have been less expensive to insure, often even for the same size motor. I suspect this is because they just attract a different kind of riders, potentially less squid like in the eyes of the insurance companies. :-P

I know price is obviously a big issue for a college student, but you are right on the cusp where a little more an make a big difference in the quality/condition of the bike you can get in your budget. Under $3K, there is a good chance the bike will need some less than trivial work on it or just be in really rough condition. So let's say you find a bike for $2500 but it ends up needing $500-1000 in work plus your time to do the work, it might be better to just take that extra money, add it to your budget for a bike, and try to get a bike that is newer and/or in better condition that doesn't need any work or time put into it.

I owned a 2004 V-Strom 650 exactly like the one in the above listing. I even had the hard luggage setup like that. It was an excellent bike. The one in the above ad has less than 30K miles on it! Of course it is in NC... Fly and ride trips are fun! Head over there for Spring Break, buy it, ride the Smokies for a few days, head home :-P

Closer to home...

I had an 02 KLR 650 and it was a blast to ride. You just have to remember to drain the carb if it is going to sit unridden for more than three weeks or so. Ever since they started putting alcohol in gas, the gas gums things up pretty quick. Adding something like Stabil can help though. The KLR is kind of a Swiss army knife bike. It can do almost everything pretty well, but not great. I flogged mine on twisty backroads and down all manner of dirt roads. It got me over all the big name high passes in SW Colorado without any problems. It got me to Mexico and back. They last forever... just as @Gravel Guy . If I recall correctly, it wasn't expensive to insure.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the SV650 really is a great bike, even for a beginner. Just don't get fixated on it. Something like the KLRs can be bought for $3-4K, ridden a long time, and then still sold for close to what you paid for it. IF they run and are in good condition, most bikes nowadays seem to bottom out in that $3-4K price range unless they just have crazy miles on them.
The old joke is all KLRs sell right around $3K whether they have $6K in accessories or only $4K added to them. Seems to almost be reality still :-) If he buys one, I have a nice milk crate I'd donate to complete the package. You can get a great reliable bike that will go forever very inexpensively for sure.

Back